V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Need some suggestions based on experience as to what will keep my engine guard mounted footpeg clamps from slipping. I just installed the pegs using the HD 3-piece chrome clamps (part # 50964-98). Went to try 'em out and they just gradually start sliding around the bar as you put a little weight on them. Torqued them to 47 ft lbs. per the instructions, too. Tried tightening more, tried putting electrical tape behind clamp first, even tried putting a piece of rubber ( bicycle tire patch), all to no avail. Frankly I am disgusted. The engine guard is OEM HD 1.25" diameter , wrinkle black off an FXDP and the clamps are suppossed to fit all 1.25" bars. Short of welding them on, anybody else been in the same boat? Are these clamps just junk or is there hope? Thanks!.............Butterbean:huh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on clamp problem

I bought some used 2-piece hinged Kuryakyn clamps on ebay to try. Problem solved! No slipping. I did notice that the hinge pin is a weak link. Has a nasty bow in it from tightening up the foot pegs..........MPLATT:woohoo:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Butterbean said:
I bought some used 2-piece hinged Kuryakyn clamps on ebay to try. Problem solved! No slipping. I did notice that the hinge pin is a weak link. Has a nasty bow in it from tightening up the foot pegs..........MPLATT:woohoo:
Damn dude...you've been dealing with this problem for almost a year now?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Butterbean said:
Hi all. Need some suggestions based on experience as to what will keep my engine guard mounted footpeg clamps from slipping. I just installed the pegs using the HD 3-piece chrome clamps (part # 50964-98). Went to try 'em out and they just gradually start sliding around the bar as you put a little weight on them. Torqued them to 47 ft lbs. per the instructions, too. Tried tightening more, tried putting electrical tape behind clamp first, even tried putting a piece of rubber ( bicycle tire patch), all to no avail. Frankly I am disgusted. The engine guard is OEM HD 1.25" diameter , wrinkle black off an FXDP and the clamps are suppossed to fit all 1.25" bars. Short of welding them on, anybody else been in the same boat? Are these clamps just junk or is there hope? Thanks!.............Butterbean:huh:
The clamps are fine. They just need a little help. Here is how I solved the problem (I know this is rad - please don't flame me - this actually worked!)

I took an old belt from my belt sander, fine grade - NOT course! - and cut one-inch strips out of it, about 4 inches long. Slipped them in between the clamps and the engine guard with the grit OUT toward the clamp. Snugged them up and NO MORE #$%$ Slipping! The belt sander belts are made of some kind of cloth. I would not recommend sand paper as it may not hold up in the rain.....

I too tried electrical tape - didn't work. Then tried duct tape - it will fix anything - didn't work. Torqued those suckers down until the lock washers spread - they still slipped.

But the little strips of cloth belt sander material holds them rock solid and at a normal torque.

Hope this works for you too!

By the way, I took them off just to check, and the engine guard had no marks on it because the grit part is against the inside of the highway pegs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts