V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

The wrinkle black that comes on the HD engines fades and flakes off over time.

Anyone have powdercoat, wrinkle, polished, chrome ones they have done or seen that you could post pics of?

Particularly all black (without edging) or polished stock.

Also, nyone know if I media blast any parts (transmission) if I can leave it natural cast with no problems.

Any pics or experience would be great!!!

Warren

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you have access to blast machines then you should know that whatever you blast something that is carbon steel will quickly rust if you don't coat it with something.

·
Registered
465 Posts
IF the engine is hard anodized, bead or sand blasting will compromise the anodized layer. Hard anodizing applies a hard skin to aluminum, and probably inhibits corrosion to some degree. I'm talking HARD anodizing like is applied to an M16 receiver, not the decorative crap that you see on BMX bicycles. Again, I'm not sure the engine is hard anodized, but I'd sure as hell find out before blasting it.

Also, I'm not big on the idea of coating air-cooled engine parts, particularly jugs. Maybe just my uninformed opinion, but most coatings will behave as an insulator to some degree. If one must coat an engine, a thin flat black crinkle texture would be best. Black (especially flat black) ratiates heat better than any other color. Textured surfaces increase heat transfer surface area. The worst coating would be thick, glossy silver. Although chrome is silver, it's also very thin and isn't much of an insulator. Paints and powder coating are thicker and don't conduct heat as well.

Chilly

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
This is what I did to mine. I blasted everything and then used engine case enamel. I bought it at an auto parts store. Plasti-cote is the brand. So far has proved to be very durable, and I would do it again. Lots of color options to. Just make sure everything is clean.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I thought the new wrinkle finish on Night Trains and Super Glide Sports were supposed to be much more durable now. I know the older ones were not. I guess time will tell for my FXDX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts