V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 roadking. after installing a 95 kit, it dies at stop sign. After steady throttle positon for period of time, when coming to stop sign and down shifting it dies. I have had it dyno tuned to perfection but still problem. Can anyone help.
Eric

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
IAC and / or TPS are out of whack. If the IAC steps are not adjusted to the added fuel that is needed for the 95 it will choke itself out. If the TPS is out of the range of .35 to .45 millivolts at 0 throttle then the bike will not read the idle parameter tables in the ECU. Keep in mind that you are not "tuned to perfection" if someone hasn't gone into the idle tables to keep idle correct and low speed running nice and smooth. There's much more to an EFI tune than peak HP. And not for nothing, but if the tuner DID tune the bike with the TPS out of range then, you may be an entire column or two off on the fuel as you go up the MAP scale. Which means when you get the TPS back in range, your RPM / fuel adds will be off. Also, it may be something as simple as waiting for the stepper to get into range before you start the bike. BE SURE that you wait a few seconds after turning on the ignition switch so that the IAC can set itself into the correct number of steps. If you jump the gun the ECU assumes that the IAC is where it needs to be at 0 throttle and well.......you know. Be sure that you wait for the fuel whine to stop AND, if you listen closely, you should be able to hear the faint hint of the IAC setting itself. When they both stop, start her up. Be sure that your throttle is all the way off. If you start the bike in the 2% throttle column, (which is just 1 hundreth millivolt above idle top range) the ECU gets a little pissy and will cause you problems as payback.

Good luck,

G

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have same problem but also,my speedo isnt working.
It's at the dealer right now but everything i've read seems to indicate
the speed sensor on top of trans.( i have a 2003 fatboy).
I've heard you can pull the sensor and clean it and sometimes that cures it.
I believe its a Hall effect switch which is a magnet and maybe metal
shaveings from trans are stuck on it. good luck/

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I agree TPS sounds like it is off , the Seedo thing and IAC ar on same circuit and yes you can clean it but most itmes a waste of time get a new one and be done with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

HDWRENCH said:
I agree TPS sounds like it is off , the Seedo thing and IAC ar on same circuit and yes you can clean it but most itmes a waste of time get a new one and be done with it.

Thank you all for your help. I am taking this info to my mechanic Tuesday.
At least he will have somthing to start on. He has adjusted my TPS a couple of times and it seems to have gotten better since but it still dies occasionally.
We don't have an authorized dealer close by. so this should help him.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
There is a specific procedure to setting the idle and TPS on a fuel injected bike. It is covered well in the service manual. You just can't adjust the TPS or Idle without following these steps.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just Replace It?

pa-glazier said:
There is a specific procedure to setting the idle and TPS on a fuel injected bike. It is covered well in the service manual. You just can't adjust the TPS or Idle without following these steps.
Considering the ability of some dealerships and the labor they would charge to calibrate the TPS properly, wouldn't it just be easier to change it out for a new one in some cases? New TPS's are less than $40.

This assumes that the new TPS's are properly calibrated I guess. Would that solve the TPS problems? Anyone have a part number?

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Mikie said:
Considering the ability of some dealerships and the labor they would charge to calibrate the TPS properly, wouldn't it just be easier to change it out for a new one in some cases? New TPS's are less than $40.

This assumes that the new TPS's are properly calibrated I guess. Would that solve the TPS problems? Anyone have a part number?
The position of the TPS is adjustable so I think if you just put a new one on you might have the same problem. I think one of the most important steps is to take the fuse out of your bike after the adjustments so that the bike will adjust to the new settings(covered in the manual). If you have a SERT it is very easy to do yourself in the data mode. I did my bike with the MM SERT it was cool to see the voltage
right on the computer screen and see it change with the adjustments that I made. Then when you do the warm idle adjustment you can watch the IAC steps decline as the engine temp comes up (all on the computer screen). The manual also shows how to do it with a volt meter.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You canmove it a small amount. But I would check a few things first with a stock t/b you really done see any problems. But there is a rest procudure that you must go through first to make sure that the IAC is in sync with the tps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
low idle

oktourgide said:
I have a 02 roadking. after installing a 95 kit, it dies at stop sign. After steady throttle positon for period of time, when coming to stop sign and down shifting it dies. I have had it dyno tuned to perfection but still problem. Can anyone help.
Eric
>my 04 ultra has the same problem, it's at dealer now having been diaginosed with a bad idle control motor. hope they're right & hope this helps.
>sidehackjack
>the road goes on forever

1 - 14 of 14 Posts