V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone came up with a solution to the incessant "clatter" of the 05 twin cams? For that matter has anyone found out what's causing it???? I did find one simple solution....ear plugs!!!!!!!!!:dunno:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I put a baisley oil relief valve spring (LMR002) in my 2004 FLHTC and it made big difference. Some report it helps some say it don't. It did on mine.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the baisley spring with no luick...even put a new motor on for me..it is doing the same thing..........have to live iwth it I guess.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Just went out and bought a new motor? Wow.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
IT'S A HARLEY FOR CRISSAKES!!!
This is one case where the dealer isn't making it up when he says "that's just the way they all are".
Earplugs, I have an FLT so I just turn up the radio, loud pipes work for some, they are just noisey.
I love that sound! I know everything is ok when I hear it!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The sound of silence?

There is a lot of inherent noise in a ( air cooled. pushrod roller bearing engine)
The fins ecko and amplify, bearings whine.valves clack.Open the hood/trunk of an old air cooled VW bug ,sit on engine and ride around That's noise.Your modern car or truck has a lot of sound deading material in it to keep them quiet AND you sit BEHIND the engine not on top it.After a wile you get used to it.The more bikes you listen to the ezer it will become to pick out abnormal niose.If you have any doubts get a 2nd or 3rd opnion.
Big Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Baisley Spring

Mtclassic said:
I put a baisley oil relief valve spring (LMR002) in my 2004 FLHTC and it made big difference. Some report it helps some say it don't. It did on mine.
Where do I get one?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Clatter

My bike has the SE Ported CNC heads, which require the rocker boxes to be machined out (or you can buy the $450 billet replacements). On the first pass, we did not get enough out of there, so there was a distinct clatter that was driving me batty. We pulled the boxes and could see the contact marks from where the rocker arms were hitting - we took a little more meat out with a pencil grinder and I have been fine ever since.

I also added the B. spring, sure that helps as well.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I first got the bike I raised so much hell that Harley put a motor on. Even the dealer/owner stated it wasn't right. But I continue to hear many, many people with the same sound report and no one seems to know what it is. I truly think I know what is good sounds (lifter tick, rocker click) but this is a "clatter" at certain rpms. Sounds kinda like it may be oh so slightly hitting the top like you suggested. I've suspected slight seperation of the push rod from the rocker (all stock). One day I'll pull the rocker covers to see if anything's hitting....thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
shrinkman2 said:
Has anyone came up with a solution to the incessant "clatter" of the 05 twin cams? For that matter has anyone found out what's causing it???? I did find one simple solution....ear plugs!!!!!!!!!:dunno:

Just a thought..Check to be sure pushrods arent hitting anything stationary - tubes. Check to be sure rockers arent hitting the rocker cover.

My engine was quiet (2003) when it was stock....Perhaps I just got lucky. Its noisey now, with gear drive, and bigger cam...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts