V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 wideglide with 13k on it now. About a week ago I noticed that when I start the engine the light engine check light goes off like it suppose to then come right back on for a few more seconds. Any thoughts as to why this is happening. Also it never comes on again till you turn off engine and crank it again. Mike

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If it's coming back on for about 8 seconds, it means you have a trouble code stored in history. Don't know the procedure for checking it or clearing it as that has changed a bit every few years. If you've got the HD Electrical Diagnosis Manual, it will give you that info. You can also go to a dealer. Some charge for pulling the code and some don't. Used to be the code stored in history went away after fifty starts. If you're not having any problems, it will go away. Lot's of times a temp code is caused by engine kickback or a low battery. Have you had either of these lately?

·
Registered
55 Posts
i had the same thing going on with my 04 rk last winter. it seemed more likely to happen on colder days. when i talked to the service department, they said it was normal - that made me a little nervous. when i took it in for scheduled maintenance, they took a look at said everything was fine. i never had a problem with the bike...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I also had a problem with a code getting set in cold weather. It was the MAP sensor. After 2 winters of messing with it, I just replaced the sensor and haven't seen it since. Never did affect the way the bike ran, just was a IA>

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ED Y
I took you advise went out and cranked the bike several times and light has gone off and staying off. I guess I finally hit the 50+ mark thanks for advise. Mike

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I've notice a recurring theme thru the threads: any time someone encounters a minor problem, "I took it to the dealer and they said that's normal." Is there some kind of vast dealer consipiracy, they'd rather not work on monor problems, or everything up to an engine seize should be deemed normal?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
That's the typical answer when they don't have a solution. Many times it is an inexperienced service writer or manager not a good tech making these kinds of statements.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
Naw - it's an Area 51 thing

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a common occurance for a battery getting marginally low from sitting for a week or two. It will occur more often in winter as the cold causes the battery to fade quicker if the bike is not run often. This will ste the code and should clear in about fifty starts if the Battery does not fall off in voltage again. If my bike is not expected to be operated for more than 3 days I plug it into a Battery Tender even in summer if possible. I keep it plugged in anytime the bike is in the garage all winter. A battery (depending on temp) can lose anywhere from 15% to over 50% of it's charge in 3 days and that's staying above freezing temps.
Magnum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts