V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hmmm: I have a loud,violent sounding CLUNK getting into first gear on my 2003 VRSCA. Rocking back and forth with the clutch lever in, and in gear before starting the engine helps ,so although the clutch lever has plenty of travel and disengages smoothly on take off ,it would appear the clutch doesn't disengage enough to allow smooth (smoother..I know it is a HD) gear meshing.Most of the time shifting on the move is smooth enough ..if doin fast shifts. Is there any adjustability in the clutch push-rod under the hydraulic piston set-up to get more clutch dis-engagement? Bike has 8000KM and running synthetic oil.
Just learned alot this afternoon reading through the forum archives.Yes the stalling problem sounds familiar,as does the grounding out. I have an RC Components 240 wheel conversion coming,28T sprocket also although I hope the off-set plate with the RC kit will fit the smaller sprocket.(any idea?)

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
captain kiwi said:
:hmmm: I have a loud,violent sounding CLUNK getting into first gear on my 2003 VRSCA. Rocking back and forth with the clutch lever in, and in gear before starting the engine helps ,so although the clutch lever has plenty of travel and disengages smoothly on take off ,it would appear the clutch doesn't disengage enough to allow smooth (smoother..I know it is a HD) gear meshing.Most of the time shifting on the move is smooth enough ..if doin fast shifts. Is there any adjustability in the clutch push-rod under the hydraulic piston set-up to get more clutch dis-engagement? Bike has 8000KM and running synthetic oil.
Just learned alot this afternoon reading through the forum archives.Yes the stalling problem sounds familiar,as does the grounding out. I have an RC Components 240 wheel conversion coming,28T sprocket also although I hope the off-set plate with the RC kit will fit the smaller sprocket.(any idea?)
Avast there Cap'n.....yer problem is common amongst Harleys indeed.

I don't know much about the VR bikes but on other HD's sometimes it helps when first engaging low gear to lift the clutch and wait about a count of ten to attempt to engage low gear. This sometimes will permit the clutch to free itself so that low gear engagement is silent.

I used to have this problem with my 2004 Ultra until I went to an extremely light oil in the primary and very heavy oil in the transmission.

That, coupled with waiting about ten seconds with the clutch lifted before engaging low gear, corrected the clunk.

As you mentioned above, it also helps to engage first gear and rocking the bike to break the clutch loose prior to riding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Kiwi-
Try V-rodforums.com, tons of info over there. Sounds like you might want to do the "button mod" to solve your clutch issue, worked well on my 03. I also have the 28T, it does help you leave better from a stop. All Harley's "clunk" into 1st, including the VR. Search the forums over there for a ton of info!! Good luck-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts