V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a bit of a sad story and follow up from my not Idling after a warm up ride. First of all My Father, Brother and myself built this 2006 custom softail as a family build. Obviously Dad was the brains and got to call the shots (It was his money; LOL) Dad got sic, Heart, kidney and finally Cancer. This happened over a 1 1/2 yrs. passed on Aug 02 2020. I have ownership now.
Bike issue was, the bike would not idle after a warm up. Found the intake manifold seals leaking and front one shredded, probably from many attempts at finding his issues (easy find but not the final straw). Found the MAP sensor had lost its hold down bracket (BINGO). I'm not familiar with the Ignition systems and don't get too deep with my Italians or Japanese bikes as they don't require it. It took me a while to get here but I replaced intake seals, the map sensor and crank pos sensor with new S&S parts. I couldn't achieve detailed troubleshooting for CPS and felt the cost was minimal to just replace it. Without the bracket the map sensor was just floating up in the manifold after a bit of a warmup ride so leaking and causing my issue. (I'm confident with that opinion, LOL).
I got the bike out for a 3 day permit and put a couple hundred kms on it, tweaked the carby a bit and confident its almost ready for the spring. Pre ride list includes Figure out the tuning of the carb, make sure the right jetting is there and get a proper setup, OILS, primary gaskets and seals (inner and outer) Leaking oil, we had the Baker 6spd repaired and when we reinstalled I think my leaks happened at that time. Head light, handle bar grips and Double check all those fasteners. Boy she likes to shake when you get on the Gas.

BIKE: 2006 Custom Softail (Plum Crazy)

Fat Guy Softail frame kit 200 rear wheel
FXSTD front forks
Dupont Candy Raspberry Brandy wine paint.
S&S 124 crate motor, no idea of cam
Baker 6spd trans.
Super G carby, IST ignition
Harold Austin

Keith Austin

Port Alberni BC CAN

Attachments

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. Looks like you have a lot of memories.

Reactions: Crazy_qbz

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
My condolences for the passing of your dad, love the fact you and family did this together with him, awesome!

Reactions: Crazy_qbz

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
My condolences for losing your father. I lost my brother almost 2 years ago, his son pulled one of my brothers old cars out of being stored for 40 years and is rebuilding it, a piece of his dad that will always be with him. Doesnt hurt that it is a numbers matching 69 SS 396 4 speed convertible Camaro.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts