V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received an email stating that a forum member received an email from me over the weekend with a possible email virus attached. The virus was quarantined at the email provider.

To set the record straight, I have NOT sent out any unsolicted emails. So if you receive an email with a "unknown" subject or "off the wall topic", DELETE it immediately AND DO NOT OPEN IT and please forward the message to me so that I may track down the individual(s) responsible.

Looks as if someone is trying to cloak their email using the "[email protected]"

Will it ever stop?

·
Registered
629 Posts
A lot of the new worm type viruses will not have the actual senders e-mail listed. It will take an e-mail address from the infected persons address book, and put that in place of the actual persons e-mail. That way it is harder to track and find out who actually is infected. Best options are to get an anti-virus software, and to not have e-mail address's in your address book that are not needed.

www.grisoft.com has a free anti-virus program that has worked wonders for me so far in the past 6 or so months.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
You don't even have to open the affected Email, it actually sends you emails using your address book entries. There is usually an attachment with a bad virus. As I stated earlier you don't have to open the attachment to have dammage done to your files. I had an outdated antivirus program and an infected email caused me 3 days of work, all is well now, my new norton antivirus is on the job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anti virus is the pits and chokes the life out of a fast system. Use an html based e-mail service and give linux a try if your tired of viruses. As long as we have children we will have viruses.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
IMO Linux would become as plagued by viruses as any other OS if enough people used it, as you say, the children just perfer the big play ground, and Microsoft sure makes it easy on them.

If you are using any Windows based Email make sure you check the box in your anti-virus software to scan all mail on SEND not just on RECEIVE. This will help to protect you from sending a script type virus that allows your computer to send the virus out to people in your address book, which can be very embarrasing. Also if you set your email options/ settings up to send only when you click the send/ receive button, you can prevent emails from being sent without your permission.

V-Rod-Buell is correct about using an html based email service like hotmail that scans the mail on its servers for you. All the members of my household are required to use one, because I don't trust them to use my email.

At work we use a hardware AND software firewall, plus an antivirus, AND still keep our internet and networked computers separate. It's a problem that won't be going away soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
DJW

I would agree that Linux would suffer as many viruses as windows except for one small detail, never run linux as the root unless you are making changes. This simple step stops anything from loading to the config files and root directory.

But I have seen several new apache worms popping up lately, that is always a bad sign.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I also add a false e-mail address to my address box. If do get hit, the virus will send itself with that e-mail address and get kicked back. That will give me the chance to warn others to scrutinize thier inbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts