V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get rid of my front wheel speedo drive unit for a electronic unit. My 5-speed FXR trans won't accomodate a sensor. Any ideas other than aftermarket?
Thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Well, if they make one, you will definitely have to go aftermarket. The electronic ones require the use of a sensor that tells the speedo how fast you are going. It is mounted on the tranny. Some of the aftermarket 4 speed trannys have them on there. But, if you have the stock tranny ,I think you may be stuck with the cable .

· ASA Lives
592 Posts
I have seen Aftermarket Electronic speedometers that have pick ups mounted on the rear axle.

You can not add a factory pick up unless you change the transmission to a FLHR transmission. The trouble with that is the oil tank is mounted below the transmission. This will not work on any FXR with out major modifications to the frame. (ie..brake master cylinder relocation)

· FNG :)
1,586 Posts
You could change engine cases to an aftermarket FXR case, like one from STD. Just tell STD you want it with the hole for the speedo sensor. No need to got to an FLT case. The other option not mentioned here is a GPS based speedo. I have one on my FXR for the same reason. A side benefit of the GPS speedo is less wires, very clean. Only a 12 VDC power and ground lead. Mine is made by Autometer. It works very well.

Ed

· Registered
377 Posts
Dakota Digital makes good stuff. I have one of their speedos on my Esprit. They will trigger off of virtually anything. I'd call them up and see what they suggest. I would not be surprised if a small pickup coil on the swingarm and a couple magnets glued to the back wheel would work for them.

· Registered
80 Posts
I went to my local "Bicycle shop" and purchased a digital bicycle speedo. Mounted it to my handle bars made a part for the magnet to mount on my spokes. I also had to make a part for the front fork and lengthen the wires. Speedo cost me $25 and some custom made parts. Take the circumference of the wheel divided by 3.14 and that tells you the inches of your tire. Put that in the speedo and it works perfectly. Even has a clock. You should see the looks you get when someone sees it. My wrench who inspects the bike laughed like crazy until he took it for a ride, then made one for a customer.

The down is no running light and when you change batteries you loose the mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.