V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
18,162 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I place a rag across the frame to prevent that.

I'm just here for the beer.

· Registered
3,981 Posts
I got some sparks when reinstalling my battery. Touched frame with my wrench;( Now have nothing with key on. I checked the four fuses under the seat, but all are good. Anyone have any suggestions? Thx

Year and model, modifications would be nice.
Why was the battery disconnected?
The more we know the better the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
746 Posts
Any current would have gone through the wrench and not the fuses or anything else. Check the connections on the battery. Make sure you didn't leave anything loose or unconnected. Next would be to check the battery.

To prevent arcing with tools, always connect the ground last. Without a ground, there can be no arcing.

· Premium Member
746 Posts
You might try cleaning and tightening the main ground even if it checks good for voltage. The load you put on it with the short may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

None of these checks have anything to do with you shorting the battery with a wrench, but they are the next places to check for your symptoms.

Check for 12 vdc with the red lead on the + battery terminal and the black on the chassis of the bike. If low or no voltage, move the black lead to the - terminal. If low or no voltage, charge or replace the battery. If good voltage clean and tighten grounds.

If you got 12vdc in first check, move the read lead to the circuit breaker. Then the other side of the breaker. Back track connections if you loose voltage. Replace the breaker if you loose it on the other side of the breaker. Next move to the ignition switch.

· Super Moderator
23,096 Posts
OK, was it fine before you charged the battery?

If yes, then check the battery voltage. 12.4-12.6 volts. Use a VOM. Then use the VOM and with the key on, check the fuses for battery voltage. If no voltage, then check the main breaker.

If there is battery voltage on both sides of the breaker, then the ignition switch would be the next thing to check.

At this point you will be needed some experience working with electrical systems and a valid wiring diagram. No idea as to your skill level, and no insult intended, but I doubt it'll get fixed with internet diagnosing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.