V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 H-D Classic is now getting its 5th starter clutch, at about 72,000 miles, for an average of under 15,000 miles per clutch and about $350 each for the 3 that haven't been under warranty. Is this typical?

I've used Dudley Perkins shop in S.F. and Golden Gate in Marin, with mechanics that I trust. I don't have the tools to do it myself, as I did with my previous H-D's. How about a better aftermarket starter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
http://www.techcycle.com/ I've tried just about all the brands available and have found the TECH brand to be the most dependable. I have a 113 ci. S&S in a roadking and it took awhile to find a starter that would last with 200 psi. cranking presure. I have 60,000 trouble free miles on their 2.4kw model and would not consider using anything else. Ride Safe

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, Chugger. I'll probably be back in NJ in late May of 2005 for a college reunion. I rode back there in 2000, visited the York plant on the way, and it was fun. The traffic on Highway 1 was worse than I remembered it. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
electric starter clutch

going in for my second starter clutch tomorrow. I have a 1997 FLSTF, first one failed at 53000Km (about 30000miles) I now have 110000Km (66000miles).
I never had a problem with this clutch on my 1989 in almost 150000miles but it went through stators every 20000 miles, It was on it's sixth one when I traded it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts