V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry if I missed any previous thread. I searched and went through some of the other threads but didn't encounter any of this type. I was hoping for a direct comparison between the two. I believe the basic differences are the fairings and how they are mounted but I may be wrong on that also. I plan on getting an EG classic or a RG next month and am trying to gather as much information as possible. I hope this bike will stay with me a long time so I'd like to make sure I get the right one.

I hope to do some long rides of 1000 miles plus once or twice a year and use it as my main form of transportation 7-8 months a year in the city and for small weekend rides.

Personally, I like the looks of the Electra Glide a bit better but the when I talk to people who own Road Glides they rave about how well it rides and I'm wondering if the Electra Glide is that big of a difference. Will I be able to do 500 miles a day and be as fresh as I would be on a Road Glide?

Some of the features I am sold on are stereo, intercom, weatherband, and having that integrated instead of having to buy something like an autocom with wires everywhere.

I guess I'm asking for reassurance that I can do the things I want comfortably with both bikes or if one will outshine the other for the things I need.

In case you need to know my current bike is a 04 XL1200R sporster. I have only had it 3 months but I found that I love the all day rides and want a bike with more travel capacity and bit bigger.

I live in Seattle and plan on rides to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and Tuscon this year. I may not make them all but I'd like to try.

Please let me know if you'd like more information. I appreciate any advice and opinions...thank you!

ps- I do plan on renting/testing both beforehand but I figure I won't be able to get the same info in a day that I can get from experienced riders.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Both are great bikes. I like the look and protection the fairing of the electra glides offer...but the road glide with its frame mounted fairing, is the best riding HD.

You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would imagine you will get people who own road glides giving you input that it is the best bike of the two, just like electra glide owners will try to sway you in their direction.

I guess the road glide is the "sportier" looking of the two, but I just can't come to terms with the looks of the fairing design (I have always thought that they look like a holdover item from the 70's). While I personally find the road glide to be a bit on the ugly side (no offense meant to RG owners), that is just my opinion.

Your best bet is to rent both, as you have mentioned, and make your own choice on what looks and feels the best to you. By the way, if you opt for the Ultra Classic, you will not have to add on the CB, intercom, or cruise control.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Of course opinions are going to vary depending on personal preference. I dont happen to like a fixed fairing. And like the look of the EG Ultra Classic over the Road Glide (Sorry Dave) Does the Road Glide come with the intercom? Think you have to get the Ultra to get the Intercom and CB or you will have to add it to the Glide. By the time you add the trunk, intercom and CB you would be better off buying the Ultra. I am on my second Ultra and have not experienced the fairing buffeting complaints that some have had. Takem both for a ride and buy the one that makes your grin more.

D.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If Harley would not have came out with the Street Glide I would have bought the Road Glide. I like the clean look without all of the rails bumpers fender lights and such. I never rode one though. I also would consider it Harley's bargain bagger.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I have a EG Standard and love it. I did a fly and ride at Las Vegas and was put on a Road Glide. Let me tell you when i first learned I was renting a RG, I wasn't thrilled. I don't care for the looks. After the first hour of riding it, I've noticed it was a pretty good riding bike, even better than my EGS! I would consider the RG as my next bike, certain paint jobs make it look better than others.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Retrax said:
I would imagine you will get people who own road glides giving you input that it is the best bike of the two, just like electra glide owners will try to sway you in their direction.

I guess the road glide is the "sportier" looking of the two, but I just can't come to terms with the looks of the fairing design (I have always thought that they look like a holdover item from the 70's). While I personally find the road glide to be a bit on the ugly side (no offense meant to RG owners), that is just my opinion.

Your best bet is to rent both, as you have mentioned, and make your own choice on what looks and feels the best to you. By the way, if you opt for the Ultra Classic, you will not have to add on the CB, intercom, or cruise control.
Sound advise highlighted above. Go rent both bikes for at least one weekend each and choose the one that fits and feels the best to you. Make sure they set up the bars and things to your comfort before you leave with the rental bike. The RG does not come with CB/Intercom you have to add it at a cost but it does come with cruise control standard.

Now the comments above about looks and about the RG being ugly is just unfortunate and misguided but as stated is that writers personal opinion. I mean you can't tell a guy no offense but your old lady is ugly. Now my personal opinion about the looks of the RG on the other hand, well I imagine you can figure are a little bit different than that. What's not to love about this:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bwaahaahaa! I like that... "no offense but your old lady is ugly" !!! Seriously though, if you're thinking about an Ultra, don't ride a Road Glide. ;D

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
I rode both and bought the Road Glide mainly because the EG made me feel claustrophobic behind the bat wing fairing while the fixed fairing of the RG felt like a wind deflector on the front end of the bike.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Jams said:
I rode both and bought the Road Glide mainly because the EG made me feel claustrophobic behind the bat wing fairing while the fixed fairing of the RG felt like a wind deflector on the front end of the bike.
I agree with Jams. I owned an 03 RG, sold it and got an 05 Ultra. Took it on a 6000 mile trip and the whole time I was wishing I had my RG back. Since the Batwing is mounted to the front end I experienced a lot of wind buffeting from cross winds and when behind or passed by 18 wheelers. The RG fairing being mounted to the frame is much more stable. The radio and guages are further away from the rider on the RG whereas on the FLH they are right in front of you. Both bikes have been around a long time but you still see fewer RG's on the road. (Harley's best kept secret) Oh by the way. I sold the Ultra and got an 06 FLTRI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the great information. Riding them both on the highway seems to be a must before I decide but long distance seems to be something the RG has the edge in. I do like the looks of the EG but I think my main decision will come down to how it will ride over medium to long distances. Any other insights or opinions would be great.

thanks again!

·
Registered
792 Posts
The RG and EGC electronics are the same, the intercom is extra (on both) unless you upgrade the EGC to the Ultra EGC. And since you live in (soggy) Seattle you might want to do this for the lowers anyhow...

The other difference is that the RG does not come with the TourPak whereas the EGC does; expect ~$1k to add that (which is exactly what I did for my 05 RG). I missed the TourPak on my `84 EG and definately wanted it for my RG.

You can of course see all these differences on the HD web page under the compare bikes applet.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
RG vs EG

I help out with the demo days at the dealer a lot, and I always picked a RG and EG each time.

My dyna is pretty much set up solo, so I knew I was going to buy a touring bike. Before I bought my RG I rented an EG for a trip to BC. We did about 2000 miles and really enjoyed the bike, but at the end of the day I was still sold on the handling of the RG and the looks. One noticeable difference; you will find the RG less tiring in the wind because the wind pushes against the whole bike and fairing, whereas with an EG the fairing pushes against your arms in the wind.

To each his own, and really, you won't be disappointed with either bike.

·
geezer glides are cool
381 Posts

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Flounder said:
thanks for all the great information. Riding them both on the highway seems to be a must before I decide but long distance seems to be something the RG has the edge in. I do like the looks of the EG but I think my main decision will come down to how it will ride over medium to long distances. Any other insights or opinions would be great.

thanks again!
Just rent the Ultra Classic and then Rent the Ultra Road Glide and then......uh oh. Well...rent the Ultra Classic and then buy you one the next day. Oh yeah, the Road Glides are cute too. :xhere:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
well since you too are on a Sporty and moving up, it would seem I can give you my impression.

Road Glides Rule!

Went from a 03 XLC 1200 to my 05 RG. Missed the Sporty for about 20 miles, then I moved on.

First I tried to make my Sporty do more then it was intended for. And after I discovered what style of riding I really enjoyed, touring, I started looking.

Every thing I rode was very nice and very different from the Sporty but then the RG came. I was hooked. I had a few weeks of getting use to the wheel turning but not the fairing, that my friends if you have not experienced it, takes some getting used to.

The fairing is the real pleasure though. From the Wind Vest I had on the sporty I knew buffeting, and expected that FUGLY front end of my Road Glide would be rough just because of size, WRONG. It is aerodynamic, it does slice the wind very well and does not suffer near as bad as a handle bar/fork mounted fairing from cross winds or gusts. ANY bike will give a reaction to sudden or steady cross winds, the Road Glide is no exception, it just affects the RG to a lot less degree because of the frame mounted fairing. It is all but effortless to drive at 70 miles an hour, I use the cruise and one hand to rest the other, and it is smooth.

The gauges father out in front is nice, the ride is great, the duel headlights are unique, and mine made 70/80 with SE A/F, Oval Slip On, and PC III more then enough to do what it should.

Yes I added a Chopped Tour Pac, with antenna relocation kit, keyed to my bike, detachable hardware, from Chicago Harley and was well under 800.00.

All I can say is if you like it, do not hesitate to pull the trigger, you will not regret it.

As a plus you wont have to wave all the time as a lot of Harley weekend warriors don't recognize RG's from the front. :laugh:

I am biased

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I have a 04 EG Ultra and love it. Most of my riding is long distance and wouldn't give up the tour pak or lowers that come stock on the Ultra. The lowers are going to be a plus riding in Seattle, not that you can't add them to the RG.

My wife and I were in the Harley dealership here in Yakima, WA. We were talking to a couple of other guys and I told them that I had picked the perfect bike for the riding I do. My wife stated that I had picked the perfect bike for her to ride on , that it was very comfortable.

It sounds like you are leaning toward the EG. Buy the Ultra and don't look back. Rember you are going to do a lot of living with this bike. You can't go wrong with the RG either if you are willing to add the extras. The position you don't want to put youself in is, damn this RG is nice but I wish I had bought the EG because I like the look of it better.

The last thing to consider is resale. I believe it is easier to resale a EG over a RG. Good luck with your decision. Most of us have gone through the same process you are going through.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
<cricket cricket, chirp chirp>
I'm just saying that not buying the Roadglide because you may want to add a trunk doesn't make sense to me. Most everyone makes their harley their own. Very few stock Harleys out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts