V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a new bike with abs and I don't have any possiblity to ride them. Are there any differences in handling or comfort between those bikes? Standard is cheaper and does anybody knows what is the reason?Which one would you choose and WHY?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
First, decide if you want a Road King or a ElectraGlide. If you want an ElectraGlide, the Classic is the best value. If you get the EG Standard, the primary, timing cover, rocker boxes, etc are all stainless and not chrome, the engine is silver, and you don't get a radio or tour pack.

If you're deciding strickly between having a fairing and not having a fairing, personally I don't think the fairing gives you much more than a windshield and makes the bike top heavy. I've ridden 3500 mile trips and never wished I had a fairing.

It all comes down to personal choice.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Having had both, the RK feels a bit more nimble...but it's not a big thing and the EG gives better wind protection. If you put a bigger windshield on the RK and some sort of lowers below the windshield, it would be a toss up. I've had several bikes with radios...but at 70+ mph you have to really crank them to hear them well. I always preferred the sound of the exhaust myself.
YMMV
hibuck...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't have EG classic option here in Turkey. The price difference between bikes are 3500$. Fairing is not my favourite but with this price it looks better to me.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
IMO the Road King is a "complete" bike where the EG Standard is a base for a custom project.. You will start with the engine as those rockercovers and primarycover looks like **** in a short amount of time... Above all (to me) the engine will never turn black on the EG standard. I just think there "neutral" unpainted engine on the standad look cheap... But that is only my opinion

Allso there is just a big hole for the radio in the Standard and no cruisecontrol..

So if choises are Road King vs EG Standard I would pick the Road King ANYTIME even with a 3500$ difference. By the way- Price difference here in Denmark is over 10.000 $ so consider yourselves lucky ;-)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
rmd said:
We don't have EG classic option here in Turkey. The price difference between bikes are 3500$. Fairing is not my favourite but with this price it looks better to me.
Is the Ultra EG an option? or the Road Glide or Street glide? The radio and the cruise control are what these bikes special.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Turkey get HDI models from HD Europe - so what they don't have in the model selctioon is the Electraglide Classic And the RoadGlide.. So the Ulta is available - but the pricetag will follow

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Killerbob do you know the price of abs? We still couldn't learn the difference.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Yes I know it here - but the price is including A LOT of Danish luxury taxes - A Ultra-Classic costs a little over 100.000$ here...Difference with or without ABS is around 1.700 $

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Given the choice between those two I would have to agree with KillerBob: I'd take the Road King. I just sold my Road King Custom and I have a Street Glide on order now, but to me that's a very different bike than the stripped down EG. If my riding consisted mostly of shorter day trips, like it did in the beginning when I bought the King, I would never have sold it. However, in the last few years I find myself logging more and more miles per trip and so the fairing, radio, more storage, six speed transmission, and not to mention ABS breaks led me to move to an FLHX.

Good luck with your purchase.
MM

·
Registered
313 Posts
IMO the Road King is a "complete" bike where the EG Standard is a base for a custom project.. You will start with the engine as those rockercovers and primarycover looks like **** in a short amount of time... Above all (to me) the engine will never turn black on the EG standard. I just think there "neutral" unpainted engine on the standad look cheap... But that is only my opinion

Allso there is just a big hole for the radio in the Standard and no cruisecontrol..

So if choises are Road King vs EG Standard I would pick the Road King ANYTIME even with a 3500$ difference. By the way- Price difference here in Denmark is over 10.000 $ so consider yourselves lucky ;-)
Older thread but couldn't pass............Road Kings are beautiful bikes but to say they are a complete bike and E.Glide Standard isn't?? The Standard comes with a fairing, tach, gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, lockable gas tank, lockable saddle bags. You can drop a Harmon Kardon AM/FM/CD player and cruise on your standard and be about the same money as a King maybe less and fly wire throttle is standard. You also can get ABS as an option on the Standard.
Everyone that bought an Electra Glide looked at the Road King and everyone that bought a Road King looked at the Electra Glide.
Ya do the numbers and ya test drive them. They are both complete bikes.........until ya want what the other one has. :D

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
One rainstorm will show you the difference, your hands are outside of the windshield on the RK, but my hands stay mostly dry on my E-glide, and was the final factor in my choice of this bike. There is no worse feeling them rainwater rolling up your arms under your riding jacket.
Another thing is, with a RK, you have this huge chrome headlight that the sun will reflect off, and it can be blinding at times.
The Glide has a easy to read tach and speedometer you don't have take take your eyes off the road to see, and a gas gauge and a charging gauge.
And you have far better protection from wind buffeting, and a much better seat for distance riding.
The wiring is all there to add a radio and a tourpak. Hand controls for the radio are in place already, not so on the RK.

Yes, you can add a tach, gauges and better seat and so on to a RK, but why buy what you get for free with the E-Glide?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'd say sit on them both and see which one feels more comfortable. I was going to get a roadking but didn't like the way I sat on it. I rode an electraglide with the radio and after that my mind was made up. Miles are alot easier to cover with a radio.

I used to be anti windshield also but after riding with one I don't think I'll ever go back. Especially when you hit a couple thunderstorms.

Just look at the Standard and see if there is anything missing from it that you could add for the $3500 difference. If you can have a bike with everything you want on it for the same price then why not go that way.

On the other hand it seems the road king is the most popular bike Harley sells.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Road King Classic, add a removable fairing (DragonFly) and you have the best of both worlds. You can remove the fairing in 2 minutes. Then you have a truly convertible bike. :woohoo:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
EG Classic is the way to go....don't settle for anything else.
yup..bout the best out of box bike money can buy...
as you just know with a std people will get a beer box..a radio..change out some of casings to chrome...i have seen people buy a standard then try to turn it into classic...cost them a fortune...

but at least you can buy a std in a color other than black now-a-days...

i owned a FLHR....loved it and thought there was nothing better till i got the geezer glide..(went with the quick detach for the beer box and added a badlander seat) ...so when i am not touring i have nice round about town bagger...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a 2000 roadking and lots of money in it let it go last september for a street glide and have never looked back!!!!! Radio kicks ass!!!! I wouldn't own another one with out it on those long trips or just cruising around...I love the batwing fairing look with the cut down windsheild....But they were both great bikes....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts