V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I now ride a Deuce. I am looking to sell or trade for a touring bike. So I am doing some research now. I am 95% sure I want an Electra Glide for the convenience and more seat room for the wife. I do not want to break the bank ether. The EG standard is right up my alley. I like the way they look plus if I want to add things like trunk, lower fairings, radio, and so on, I can. The only thing and that is holding me back is I hate the gray cast and aluminum engine. I think the police models have the black engine. Is this true? What is different about the police EG, and are they hard to change over to a regular EG. Also the police models seem to be a little cheaper. Does anyone have any information for me?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The police bikes started coming out with the black and chrome group because fuel injuection became standard with them a couple years ago. So your first difference is EFI instead of a carb.

Quick latches on the saddle bag will be next, along with the seat issue. If two up seating is an issue for you, you'll need a seat. I turned in really nice bikes after the 2004 and 2005 seasons, and whoever got those, got a good deal.

·
GP
51 Posts
If you find the right deal on a FLHTPI it can be a good deal, you just have to be careful on the extras you will need to buy. Seats are easy, lots of people take them off, and are quite reasonable, check the classifieds here. Mirrors you may want to change, the police are square and flat. You will need passenger floorboards. Of course there is no radio, but if you want to add one, there are no radio controls. Tires are run-flats, you can change those out as they wear out. And as mentioned earlier, the bags open different, if you mount a tour pack you will need to raise it an additional 3/4"
What you get is the black/chrome package, fuel injection, high output alternator, and bags you can open going down the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bbradley said:
Ok I now ride a Deuce. I am looking to sell or trade for a touring bike. So I am doing some research now. I am 95% sure I want an Electra Glide for the convenience and more seat room for the wife. I do not want to break the bank ether. The EG standard is right up my alley. I like the way they look plus if I want to add things like trunk, lower fairings, radio, and so on, I can. The only thing and that is holding me back is I hate the gray cast and aluminum engine. I think the police models have the black engine. Is this true? What is different about the police EG, and are they hard to change over to a regular EG. Also the police models seem to be a little cheaper. Does anyone have any information for me?

Thanks,
Brian
I'm also lookinf at a used FLHTPI with 11000.00 miles on itIts all white and I can visuallize the way I want it to look.Plus the price is very good. I even took it for a test ride and look it over and over.Only thing I see wrong with it is the scratches on the fairing and saddle bags but nothing major.
I also like the black and chrome engine compare to the standard that is cast.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
bbradley said:

Thanks,
Brian
Hello-

I own a 2004 Police Edition Electra Glide.

For the longest time, my bike was bone stock, right down to the solo seat-flashing red/blue front lights. I bought my bike from a local mom and pop shop here in Indiana, in February of 2005. The bike was part of an auction fleet, that came from the Wisconsin State Police Force.

The price I paid was 16.2k, out the door. ( 15.3k, before taxes ). The bike had 965 miles on it, at the time of purchase. It came with no warranty. The engine is black.

I have since removed the lights, added some highway pegs, a stereo, cruise control, and a vance and hines pro pipe.

NOTE: if you do decide to buy a Police Edition E-glide, and later decide to put a stereo in, don't be surprised if there is no harness in the fairing. This was an additional 640 dollar expense for me.

I have two windshields, a short black one, for looks, and the more traditional clear one, that I use for long trips.

Maintainence wise, I changed the oil at 1k, 3k, 5k, and 10k. One of the roller box gaskets was leaking at the 10k mark, which the dealer replaced at no charge. ( very common, on TC motors ) The rear brakes needed to be replaced at the 10k mark. I also replaced the rear tire at that time.

So far, I have ridden this bike on two, long , road trips. 2,333 miles to Orlando Florida and back, during bike week, last year. I also made a 964 mile round trip ride to Nashville Tenn, in the fall of last year.

Both times, I did not have one, single, problem. I did change the oil while I was in Orlando.

I have put in over 100 hours of total practice time in with my Glide. They are one tough mutha, of a bike. I cannot recall how many times I've dropped it, during a practice session, but each time I picked her back up, she fired up right away, and was ready for more.

These are great training bikes, as the engine/saddle guards allow the rider to get beat up , without damaging the general structure of the machine.

All told, I have two small scratches on my bike, both on the left side engine/saddle bag guards. I have no intention of replacing the guards, as I use my Glide for motor training throughout the summer months.

I have always wanted a Police bike, so the decision for me, was an easy one. Obviously, if you ride two up, you're going to have to replace the seat. But that's about it. The police bikes bikes are no different than any other touring machine, in that they ride like a Caddilac....smoooth as a baby's you know what.

I have another Harley, a 98 customized fatboy, that is far less comfortable, and far less practical... in terms of setting up cones in an empty parking lot, and working on 18x36 foot figure eights/40mph braking..etc.etc..

A lot of guys cannot fathom the idea of dropping their bike, which is sad, because they will inevitably find themselves in a "live" street situation that requires motor skill, rather than luck.

I have learned the hard way that you never rise to the occassion. Instead, you fall to your level of motor training.

It is in those instances that the P-Glide pays for itself 10 times over.

I would not be half the rider that I am today, without mine. It is a great horse.

In my opinion, the police bikes are the perfect machines for anyone wanting to take their motor skills up to the next level.

good luck!
David

·
02BNAVW
89 Posts
Also ... there's a bunch of info about the differences between the Standard and the Police elsewhere in this Police Motor Unit Forum. That's an '03 FLHTPI in my Avatar. Would gladly e-mail more & better pics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all the info. Nazzdak that is way cool you use yours for a training bike. I bet that is a sight to see you lay your EG over like it was a crotch rocket. My only other question is what good is the high output alternator? Does it allow you to put more electronically stuff on the bike? Thanks everyone.

Brian

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Nazzdak said:
I have since removed the lights, added some highway pegs, a stereo, cruise control, and a vance and hines pro pipe.

Naz,

I'm still torn between buying a Police Electraglide (Shrine program) and a POSE Ultra. Obviously a FLHTPI would be a lot cheaper and cool for an old copper. Tell me about your cruise control please. I was told you couldn't add cruise to a police bike.

Thanks.

T113

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
trooper113 said:
Naz,

I'm still torn between buying a Police Electraglide (Shrine program) and a POSE Ultra. Obviously a FLHTPI would be a lot cheaper and cool for an old copper. Tell me about your cruise control please. I was told you couldn't add cruise to a police bike.

Thanks.

T113
Hello-

Yes, you can add cruise control to a FLHTPI

I ordered mine straight out of the 2006 catalog. The part numbers are as follows...

77196-04 ( fits 04 later FLHT /C/CI and 06-later FLHX/I models )
77182-02 ( fits 02-03 FLHT and FLHTC/I stock on FLHTCUI models)

The labor time for this was about 3 hours, or 180 bucks. Each part number is listed at 339.95. You should have no problem finding a unit at a 20% discount.

The on/off button is in the accessory panel. I tend to leave mine on. You can activate the cruise control at any speed over 30mph, with your right thumb.

( a green light will display in the RPM gauge, when you activate the cruise control. A red light will display in the rpm gauge, when you de-activate the cruise )

It will de-activate in one of three ways.

a. engaging the front/rear brake
b. engaging the clutch
c. over/under revving the throttle ( which I have found, is not too reliable )

These units are much better than the throttle lock version in that it modulates the desired speed perfectly, even when you're going up/down hill.

I still have the throttle lock version on my Evo, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you how annoying that can be when it's late, your right hand is throbbing like mad, and the motor just keeps accelerating, faster, and faster.

long story short, well worth the money. I'd do it again in a hearbeat.

good luck! :)
David

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Thanks....your information helps with a decision. My wife retires in April. After we get our budget changes figured out I'll probably order an FLHTPI.

T113

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
bbradley said:
Thanks everyone for all the info. Nazzdak that is way cool you use yours for a training bike. I bet that is a sight to see you lay your EG over like it was a crotch rocket. My only other question is what good is the high output alternator? Does it allow you to put more electronically stuff on the bike? Thanks everyone.

Brian
Hi Brian-

Actually, I was unaware that my bike had a high output alternator...thanks for the info!

I should also mention that the police bikes are the only models that come with run flat tires. You never know when that'll come in handy!.. :D

Speaking of dropping my bike...here's a strange/true/funny story.

Last summer, I was about a third of the way into motor training, when I began working on the figure eight.

The excersise starts off simply, in that you construct a 40x80 box.

The objective is to keep the bike within the parameters of the box, manuevering in a simple figure eight pattern at a walking speed no greater than 3-5 mph. You want to start with a very big box, so that you can eliminate the bad habit most riders have of using the rear brake.

It is not needed, and can become a real crutch if you're not careful.

A good rider can slow his bike down by using either, the handle bars, or the clutch. Both of which, create friction, at slow speeds. You will notice that turning the handle bars, whether handle bar steering, or countersteering, slows the bike down, at any speed.

You want to start with a big box, so that you can learn how to do this.

Anyway, as you get more comfortable with the exercise, the idea is to reduce the size of the box. Your objective should be to get the box down to 36x18.

40x80 is obviously not a big deal. Neither is 30x60, which should be the next size.

From this point, I began reducing the size of the box by four feet, in that the next size was 26x52, 24x48, 22x46.

Well, I cannot recall if it was the 26x52 size, or the 24x 48 size, but at those parameters, the bike ( initially anyway ) always feels like it is always about to tip over. In fact, it IS tipped over. You're just controlling the lean angle with the clutch and throttle. Remember, my speed is somewhere between 2-3 mph, and I'm using no brake.

At one point in time, I got so freaked out that I literally jumped off the motor, only to see my Glide go sliding down the parking lot, without me!!

talk about a hysterical moment...there I am, chasing after my bike in an empty parking lot...it never stopped running, and was still in first gear!!!...lol.

I finally caught up to it, shut the motor off, and went home with my head down in shame...The damage ? two small scratches on the guards, and no leaks. She fired right back up, looking at me like I was an idiot.

I can look back at that time, and laugh now, because my riding level today,is at the point where I can construct an Iron Cross/Intersection, which is a series of four, 36x18 foot semi circles. A series of miniture figure eights, if you can imagine.

I honestly do not remember the last time I dropped my bike. It's been months.

This obviously takes time, and a whole lot of practice. In the end, I wouldn't change a thing. My Glide is not just one hell of a Harley, it's my wife.

take care,
David

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
FLHP, I was just wondering where you found that FXRP picture for your avatar.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just at my local dealer last week, I also looked at the EG standard. He pointed to a brand new 2006 police bike, said they were priced at something like $15,200. They were new, not used, so yes, you can buy a new one. As for the quick open knobs on the bags, a company ran by this dealers son makes new chrome knobs that look awesone to get rid of that round knob.

Dealer is C&C Cycle in Chariton Iowa, owner is Bob. His son runs "Fat Baggers Inc.", he makes the knobs and a sweet big wheel kit for baggers.

Steve

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
duckman1 said:
Just at my local dealer last week, I also looked at the EG standard. He pointed to a brand new 2006 police bike, said they were priced at something like $15,200. They were new, not used, so yes, you can buy a new one.
Steve
If it was on their floor, either a dep't (unlikely) or a Shriner backed out of it, if it wasn't supposed to be a demo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MegaGlide said:
If it was on their floor, either a dep't (unlikely) or a Shriner backed out of it, if it wasn't supposed to be a demo.

He has a few of them, still had police on the bags, and the blue and red lights lens on the front. I really have no idea how he got them, but he was talking about an auction put on by HD for it's dealers. He mentioned they had "Happy Hour" right before it began, and the bids were high. Pretty smart on HD's part, LOL!

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peace officer editions

I thought we could only buy road king,heritage classic,fat boy and ultra classic. Best price I got was 15,995 for the Heritage. Black,Blue or 2 tone. Sound like a good price? If I was a shriner I would go with the pearl white Fat Boy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently put a king tour pak on my 04' EG police,as suggested 3/4" was a good starting point,but the bags wouldn't clear the tour pak, I used a two up detachable tour pak rack,bought a bolt on tour pak rack off e-bay,cut it down to the same size as the "U" shaped tube on the detachable rack,bought 10 of the spacers(normally bolt under the rack were the nut goes) simply doubled them up and bolted the whole thing together with longer bolts(supplied bolts were to short) the bags just clear the tour pak now,good fit! should you buy the EG police and want to add the king tour pak,let me know I have all the part numbers I used ,where i ordered from and the prices as well. My king tour pak has the side lights and was "paint to match" birch white from HD looks great on the bike.

mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
On off button

The on/off button is in the accessory panel. I tend to leave mine on. You can activate the cruise control at any speed over 30mph, with your right thumb.

( a green light will display in the RPM gauge, when you activate the cruise control. A red light will display in the rpm gauge, when you de-activate the cruise )
David
David,
Do you know where they tied the on of button in??
Leo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts