V-Twin Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1885 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been here. Life gets busy and at times I forget all the groups I'm in. Can't keep up with everything these days must b getting older.. Anyway I had an 01 EG for three years or so and it wasn't what I really wanted but it was a good deal and super clean so I bought it. Did a lot of maintenance to it but expected to do so anyway. It was a nice ride, smooth and ran great but it wasn't really me. Not my style of machine.

I kept looking around the entire time and finally three years later I found my type of ride I was searching for. I'm not the type to like much of anything new the quality these days isn't the best. I don't care for fuel injection or computers and sensors and belt drive it's not my thing. Others may like it but not me. So I put up with it awhile then recently sold it finally. Felt great to get rid of it . It was ok but just not a real Harley in a sense.

Now I have the machine I hoped to find. It's the same model being an FLH but it's much older. So now I've got a sweet ride indeed... 73 FLH shovelhead... This is a real Harley in my world... Points, carb and a chain is what I was after and the oil leaking shovelhead... Lol.. These can be sealed up and leak free easily. As long as your check ball in the oil pump is seated and it doesn't sit a long time it's fine. No puking oil out the breather line... O-ring chain and oiler turned off it will be fine..

I got lucky on this find. It isn't stock and obviously has add on parts but it's nearly 50 years old . The frame and motor match and the trans is stamped correctly so that's my main concern for original. The motor and trans were redone along with other parts and pieces. It looks good and runs strong . But after seven years of not being rode much the gaskets seep some so time to pull the motor and trans and reseal it again.

This is going to be most enjoyable getting it back to a leak free machine and cleaning it up! I enjoy work as my on them as much as riding myself. I'm a mechanic as my profession so wrenching is in my blood. This bike is a lot lighter than the 01 was and is quite comfortable. It doesn't vibrate anywhere near as much as the 01 did either. Most say these will rattle your fillings out but I don't feel it. Feels nice and smooth to me. Motor is quiet and strong unlike the 01 it was quite noisy. Anyway it's my new ride just waiting on spring now...

Old Blue 01 FLH....New Green 73 FLH

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
An old 1980 FLT would be really cool (on my list). If I can ever stumble onto a really cheap 1968 or so FLH, I'm getting it. Everything I see is beyond what I'm willing or able to pay right now, and few and far between too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My goal is a late forties or fifties foot clutch/tank shift. Knuckles are too expensive but pans can still be affordable to me... Really any bike past a shovelhead I have little interest in. The 01 FLH I had was smooth riding but everything else about it I didn't really care for. Just got it as a stepping stone pretty much. I prefer old school everything. The shovelhead will be a fine project. Pulling the motor and trans to reseal and clean up the frame good then I'll be set...

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's been awhile since I've been here. Life gets busy and at times I forget all the groups I'm in. Can't keep up with everything these days must b getting older.. Anyway I had an 01 EG for three years or so and it wasn't what I really wanted but it was a good deal and super clean so I bought it. Did a lot of maintenance to it but expected to do so anyway. It was a nice ride, smooth and ran great but it wasn't really me. Not my style of machine.

I kept looking around the entire time and finally three years later I found my type of ride I was searching for. I'm not the type to like much of anything new the quality these days isn't the best. I don't care for fuel injection or computers and sensors and belt drive it's not my thing. Others may like it but not me. So I put up with it awhile then recently sold it finally. Felt great to get rid of it . It was ok but just not a real Harley in a sense.

Now I have the machine I hoped to find. It's the same model being an FLH but it's much older. So now I've got a sweet ride indeed... 73 FLH shovelhead... This is a real Harley in my world... Points, carb and a chain is what I was after and the oil leaking shovelhead... Lol.. These can be sealed up and leak free easily. As long as your check ball in the oil pump is seated and it doesn't sit a long time it's fine. No puking oil out the breather line... O-ring chain and oiler turned off it will be fine..

I got lucky on this find. It isn't stock and obviously has add on parts but it's nearly 50 years old . The frame and motor match and the trans is stamped correctly so that's my main concern for original. The motor and trans were redone along with other parts and pieces. It looks good and runs strong . But after seven years of not being rode much the gaskets seep some so time to pull the motor and trans and reseal it again.

This is going to be most enjoyable getting it back to a leak free machine and cleaning it up! I enjoy work as my on them as much as riding myself. I'm a mechanic as my profession so wrenching is in my blood. This bike is a lot lighter than the 01 was and is quite comfortable. It doesn't vibrate anywhere near as much as the 01 did either. Most say these will rattle your fillings out but I don't feel it. Feels nice and smooth to me. Motor is quiet and strong unlike the 01 it was quite noisy. Anyway it's my new ride just waiting on spring now...

Awesomeness....

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My first HD was an EVO, so when I see these Pan,shovel and Knuckle threads it reminds me of a story..
Early 90's and looking to buy my first Harley... I was in Salem, Oregon and I could not find the HD store.. We are not talking the boutique that is there now, but the real deal old school store...
I knew it was close so I stopped at a Honda store and asked where the HD store was... The sales guy walked out of the store with me and pointed at the side street and said " Just follow the oil trail down this road".... LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first HD was an EVO, so when I see these Pan,shovel and Knuckle threads it reminds me of a story..
Early 90's and looking to buy my first Harley... I was in Salem, Oregon and I could not find the HD store.. We are not talking the boutique that is there now, but the real deal old school store...
I knew it was close so I stopped at a Honda store and asked where the HD store was... The sales guy walked out of the store with me and pointed at the side street and said " Just follow the oil trail down this road".... LOL
You know back in the day from the design of the older machines they naturally were going to leak oil. Guys that aren't familiar with the older bikes crack their jokes and such and aren't familiar with how they functioned. Oil leaks were normal. Gaskets weren't the best either so leaks there and a lot just rode them hard with little maintenance. Some manufacturing defects came into play here and there. Today in this age and with modern materials I can easily have a leak free Shovel.

Using an o ring chain and turning the chain oiler off, good quality gaskets, proper torque and even surfaces and regular maintenance goes a long way in the operation of your machine. Me being a mechanic working on motors all my life and knowing engines and how to do things right will give me a leak free good running machine! And it will be one of the few Shovels putting around my neck of the woods. If they are around you don't see them at all only newer dressers putting around...

Ive got a good solid bike to begin with so it won't be too hard to make it right. I'm about ready to pull the motor and trans and get it all cleaned up . The engine will get all fresh gaskets and seals and I'll check the tranny. So far no leaks full of gear oil!! I'd like to rebuild it regardless just to have it as good as possible. I don't like leaks or being stranded. Preventative maintenance was always my thing and still is. Some are if it ain't broke don't mess with it but that's not me. Anyway it's going to be much more enjoyable than that 01 anyday... Depends on the person and preference but it rides just fine for me...

·
Registered
134 Posts

my first bike was a 1973 Superglide. same engine just different set up. mine never leaked oil and i rode it every day til it was stolen. loved that bike. at the end i looked very much like the FLH except it was raked 3/4" and had 10" overs on the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope its okay to post this here. I had a 2006 Road King in the past with a stock solo seat and reshaped it. I loved it. it had two posts in the rear to slide the 2 up seat in with a suction cup on the rear of the 2 up seat. I liked it because I could have an empty fender and I liked the look. I now have a 2006 Electra Glide and want the same look. I searched the forum before posting and found 1 thread but the link to the Drag Specialities bracket was broken (old). Does anyone have an option? I will add a picture of my old seat for reference.

******On the Road King I had a Milwaukee Baggers rear fender cover and I will have the same on the Electra.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a 06 Standard that we changed the crank to S&S with a longer stroke and flat top CCP pistons. T-man 590 cams with s&s oil pump and camplate. Gear drive. HP 55MM Throttle body. Vance and Hines 2 into 1 pro pipe. 6 speed builders kit tranny. She went from the 88" TC to 107" and a Thundermax EFI System. Call her Black Bessy and couldn't be happier with any other bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had 6 Harley's over the years and am currently shopping for a new Road King, however the one bike I will never sell is my old 02 Electra Glide FHLT. She was my first bagger. She's a little tired right now but she will get an S&S Power package upgrade with S&S Super E carb in October.
IMG_4226.JPG

1861 - 1880 of 1885 Posts