V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info on the storage capacity of the hard bags and tour pack. I'll be using the Fly n Ride program for 4 days/3 nights with the wifey. They were supposed to have an Ultra set-up with a rack on the tour pack. Well, I called the dealer to make sure all was good because HOG didn't even know they had an Ultra at the dealership. It's never even been rented. Anyway, I was counting on bringing the roll from my T-Bag for some extra space and need to tie it to something. Now HOG won't authorize the dealership to put the normal rack and driver's backrest that they put on all of their Fly n Ride bikes. So basically they said if I want the rack, take the Classic. I'm a little pissed because before I signed the paper work, they assured me that the Ultra would be equipped just like all their other electra Glides are.. Now they're not doing anything to make it right. Man, I was sure looking forward to that running that mother ship through the mountain, especially with lowers for the rain and 4 speakers for thumping.

Wow, back to the question. I'm guessing/hoping that my leathers will fit in one bag the wifey's in the other. That leaves the the tour pack for everything else if I leave the roll bag home. Is that enough space for 3 days clothes, rain suits, and shower sh*t? Or are those hard bags bigger than I think. I have the H-D Dyna bags on my WG, and my jacket takes up 1 entire side. With my leathers in the other, it doesn't leave much more room for anything else. Hell, maybe my jacket/chaps won't even fit in 1 side of those hard bags.

What do you Touring folks think?

TIA

Hud
 

·
Ironbutt
Joined
·
7,415 Posts
Not a lot of space in those side bags. A thick leather jacket and a pair of chaps and that's one bag full. Just take what you absolutely need and you'll be okay. I rented an e-glide for a week and had plenty of space but it was just me. Women tend to take twice as much as they need. Good luck.
 

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miles to go said:
Not a lot of space in those side bags. A thick leather jacket and a pair of chaps and that's one bag full. Just take what you absolutely need and you'll be okay. I rented an e-glide for a week and had plenty of space but it was just me. Women tend to take twice as much as they need. Good luck.
The wife will definately take way to much. I think I'll have to drop the Ultra for the Classic with the rack so I can take my roll bag. [email protected], I really wanted to ride that Ultra, wish they could just bolt on the rack on it.

Did you rent the Standard w/out the tour pack?

Hud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
The tour pack will hold her make-up kit, one side bag should hold her leathers, and the other bag will store her cloths. I suggest you wear your leathers on the plane because her leftover stuff will fill all of your pockets. You better put on four pair of underwear before you leave the house. Just remember every day to toss the last pair that slides down your legs, not the first and you will be good to go. If Noah took his wife on the ark for the 40 day trip there would have been no room for all the animals.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Men, need to control what there OLd packs. I broke my OL in good. If she has a brain in her head, she will realize there is only so much things she can pack or need.

Tourpak rackis nice, thats where the jackets end up. One bag is almost all tools, with a rental, if your in a civilized area, guess you don't need that.

If you can't go for a 3 day ride on a bike with bags and a tourpak, give up and go home. Find another hobby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Let me get this straight, you wanna abandon a tour pak in favor of a rack one a roll bag? That tour pak will hold 5 times as much stuff as you think and it will be ten times easier to access, get the uktra!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
My wife and I spent 9 days on a trip this year to NC touring the Blue Ridge Parkway. I see no reason you can't carry enough for your trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
I started unloading my old GW and putting all the stuff into my EG. Over half the stuff wouldn't fit. What a disappointment and hard to believe. Good luck.
Oh yeah, I rented an Ultra out in Arizona. The scoot was just under 5 months old, 13,000 miles, staged oned, with SE exhausts which echoed back thru all the canyons. All the OE speakers were BLOWN AND FUZZY and the CD was inoperable. But that was in '04, before the intro of the new HK unit which is supposed to be sooooo much better than the old RadioSounds. Another disappointment. Since it was hot in the desert, and I got stuck in the Hoover Dam traffic, the rented Ultra kept kicking into the 'skip fire' mode, making me freak, thinking this baby is gonna stall anytime now. I finally figured out what was going on with the engine after letting it cool a couple of times. My '03 Ultra has never gone into 'skip fire' living here in Michigan. I think I remember paying $100 per day. Sportsters were $50 per day. Have a great time and take lots of pics. Even with the problems I had, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
 

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adlerx said:
Let me get this straight, you wanna abandon a tour pack in favor of a rack one a roll bag? That tour pack will hold 5 times as much stuff as you think and it will be ten times easier to access, get the ultra!
No, I'm being forced to abandon the Ultra because HOG hasn't equipped it with the tour pack rack that they said it would have when I made the reservations. HOG says if I want a tour pack rack I need to take their Classic. I'm trying to determine if the hard bags and the tour pack have enough room so I can take the Ultra w/out the roll bag.

Hud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Hey bro, take the ultra. It's what you want and you'll be fine. My wife & I just flew to Ft Laud and rented a EGC w/ a rack and never used the rack. 10 days to Key West and back! The tour-pack is huge! Hand washed some of our clothes in tub....if we bought souvenirs n' sh!t we would've mailed them home! This ain't just a trip, it's an adventure!
 

·
Ironbutt
Joined
·
7,415 Posts
Hudman said:
The wife will definately take way to much. I think I'll have to drop the Ultra for the Classic with the rack so I can take my roll bag. [email protected], I really wanted to ride that Ultra, wish they could just bolt on the rack on it.

Did you rent the Standard w/out the tour pack?

Hud
I had the classic with the tour pack. The tour pak is huge and will hold lots of stuff. Pack light or you will still run out of space. The only thing you really gain with the Ultra is the lowers so unless you plan on running into some really cold weather then i don't see a problem. If i were you i'd take the classic with the rack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
The wife and I went on vacation for over a week. I have a tour pac rack and a roll bag that I used. No problems at all. For a 3 day trip you should be fine without the rack. The tour pac should hold all your stuff. When we go on a trip we each get one saddle bag for clothes and then keep the other stuff you will be using during the day riding in or on the tour pac. Jackets you will want to keep where you can get to them quickly. Either bike you rent you will be fine.
 

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
miles to go said:
I had the classic with the tour pack. The tour pak is huge and will hold lots of stuff. Pack light or you will still run out of space. The only thing you really gain with the Ultra is the lowers so unless you plan on running into some really cold weather then i don't see a problem. If i were you i'd take the classic with the rack.
The lowers are one thing that would be nice if it rains and it's calling for rain while we're there. Although it's early, and the weather reports can change or not even be anywhere close to accurate. I'd also like to have the cruise control, as we'll be heading up the freeway for a few hours on 2 of the days.

I'm thinking if we pack light enough we should be cool with the Ultra, just wish I knew how much the tour pak is going to hold. I'll have to head up to the stealership and check it out before we leave.

I still can't believe that the HOG folks up in Milwaukee can't authorize the dealership to put the rack on. They claim the paper work will take a over month, but I call BS. The dealership said they'd squeeze the service work in to help out, but can't pull the trigger w/out HOG authorization, which I can completely understand.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Hud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Hudman said:
No, I'm being forced to abandon the Ultra because HOG hasn't equipped it with the tour pack rack that they said it would have when I made the reservations. HOG says if I want a tour pack rack I need to take their Classic. I'm trying to determine if the hard bags and the tour pack have enough room so I can take the Ultra w/out the roll bag.

Hud
I don't get it,why do you need the Ultra?
The Classic has just as much storage except for the little cubbies in the hard lowers.(I don't really like hard lowers anyway,too hot)
I ride a Classic and had an Ultra before it,each side bag will hold a leather jacket,chaps and heavy gloves with a little room to spare.
The wife gets one side for hers and I get one for mine and a few tools plus the e-belt kit and tire kit.
That leaves the tourpac for our luggage which will hold about a weeks worth of cloths and our toiletries etc..
Space bags will help make it all fit. https://www.spacebag.com/travelbag/902315/
That leaves the luggage rack for a duffel bag or two if we want to pack camping gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Hudman said:
No, I'm being forced to abandon the Ultra because HOG hasn't equipped it with the tour pack rack that they said it would have when I made the reservations. HOG says if I want a tour pack rack I need to take their Classic. I'm trying to determine if the hard bags and the tour pack have enough room so I can take the Ultra w/out the roll bag.

Hud
Ohhhh! Now I get it. I'd probably just take the Road Glide, SHHHH


It's harleys best kept secret....:whisper: :whisper:


Really though, for you the classic would be best....
 

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
adlerx said:
Ohhhh! Now I get it. I'd probably just take the Road Glide, SHHHH


It's harleys best kept secret....:whisper: :whisper:


Really though, for you the classic would be best....

Doesn't sound like HOG thinks much of the Road Glide. They don't have one in their fleet:hystria:

And again, no tour pak rack. HOG can't put a rack on what's not there.:thumbsdn: It does have cruise, but no lowers.

Hud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Hudman said:
Doesn't sound like HOG thinks much of the Road Glide. They don't have one in their fleet:hystria:

And again, no tour pak rack. HOG can't put a rack on what's not there.:thumbsdn: It does have cruise, but no lowers.

Hud
They aren't HOG's bikes, it just all depends on what the dealer has in their rental fleet. You might call the dealer direct and talk tho their rental person (very nicely-non confrontational) and tell them you are renting a bike trough the fly and ride program and discuss your options with them direct. You might be surprised at how it works out. It seems this issue is really bothering you, I hope you don't let this little bump in the road ruin your vacation:wavey:
 

·
PUB
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
adlerx said:
They aren't HOG's bikes, it just all depends on what the dealer has in their rental fleet. You might call the dealer direct and talk tho their rental person (very nicely-non confrontational) and tell them you are renting a bike trough the fly and ride program and discuss your options with them direct. You might be surprised at how it works out. It seems this issue is really bothering you, I hope you don't let this little bump in the road ruin your vacation:wavey:
All Fly-n-Ride bikes belong to HOG. The dealerships consider this program in direct competition to their rental program. The dealership is not allowed to rent those bikes to any non-HOG members, and all reservations have to go through HOG themselves.

On the other side of the coin, none of the dealers rental's can be used for the Fly-n-Ride programs(I tried these, they have an Ultra in their rental fleet).

The dealership is doing everything in their power to help me out on this, but they cannot put accessories on a HOG bike with out their permission. The dealer is working on this.:thanks:

I won't let this ruin my vacation, but this is just another example of how they screw things up. Just like the time I was waiting for the roadside assistance. I ended up calling my vehicle insurance to help me.:huh:

Also, the EG Classic they said I should take instead, because it had the rack on it, won't even be available until the next day. Another over sight. HOG didn't tell me that, the dealer did. HOG would have let me sat at the dealer for the day.

It'll all work out.:beer4u:

Hud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
Hudman said:
All Fly-n-Ride bikes belong to HOG. The dealerships consider this program in direct competition to their rental program. The dealership is not allowed to rent those bikes to any non-HOG members, and all reservations have to go through HOG themselves.

On the other side of the coin, none of the dealers rental's can be used for the Fly-n-Ride programs(I tried these, they have an Ultra in their rental fleet).

The dealership is doing everything in their power to help me out on this, but they cannot put accessories on a HOG bike with out their permission. The dealer is working on this.:thanks:

I won't let this ruin my vacation, but this is just another example that of how they screw things up. Just like the time a was waiting for the roadside assistance. I ended up calling my vehicle insurance to help me.:huh:

Also, the EG Classic they said I should take instead, because it had the rack on it, won't even be available until the next day. Another over sight. HOG didn't tell me that, the dealer did. HOG would have let me sat at the dealer for the day.

It'll all work out.:beer4u:

Hud
I stand corrected, this has obviously changed over the years, Last time I rented a bike with fly and ride was 2003 (the last year I had HOG) It was dealer bikes. Anyhow, you are doing everything possible to get it handled now go have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Rent the Ultra and take your t-bag and a bathroom mat. One of the shower mats with the rubber back and carpet top. Place it on the tour pack , rubber side down and strap the t-bag down on the carpet by running your staps down to the tour pack rails on the fender. This will work because I have done it. The rubber mat back will not damage the paint.The bath mat may look ugly but it will cover the top and sides of the tourpack so even the straps do not contact the paint. This was not my idea it was given to me by a member of another board when I was in this exact situation
BC
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top