V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be relocating to El Paso TX. this spring (Ft. Bliss) - Change in duty station. I'm really looking forward to leaving this desk job and getting back in the cockpit.
Any tips/advise, especially related to riding, local attractions, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Not sure what all is around close, but you won't be too far from Big Bend Natn'l Park. Also, right next door to New Mexico. Should be some really nice weekend trips close by.

H

·
0 Posts
There is a whole other COUNTRY now out your front door. Check this thread:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39218

If you pay heed to the warnings, Mexico can be a lot of fun to ride in. There is a huge white sand desert immediately south of Juarez that's somethign to see, and From El Paso, the Copper Canyon is a great destination.

Harris

·
Registered
388 Posts
I relocated here from Ohio in 1996. I have never looked back. Drop me an email once you arrive, I will show you around. Seriously.

Just rode 65 miles this morning. 50 degrees and sunny. Open spaces, beautiful women (some not so too), great food, and great people. Just a damn great place to live.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
toddlerp said:
I relocated here from Ohio in 1996. I have never looked back. Drop me an email once you arrive, I will show you around. Seriously.

Just rode 65 miles this morning. 50 degrees and sunny. Open spaces, beautiful women (some not so too), great food, and great people. Just a damn great place to live.
Toddlerp,
Exactly the kind of report I was hoping to hear! Love to ride - Logged over 10,000 miles in a little over a year just f-cking around on the weekends. I report in April and I’ll be a geographical bachelor. Figure I'll grab a small apartment. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with the Deuce. Don't want to leave it outside - Figure maybe one of those self storage places unless I can find an apartment with a garage.
Anyway, truly appreciate the offer. I'll drop you a PM when I get in town - Lunch and whatever you’re drinking is on me.

Roy

·
Registered
388 Posts
I too have a Deuce, a 2002. I often hook up with a group of absolutely great people I met on a Poker Run this year. In all there are 14 or so of us. Husbands, wifes, a couple of single gus rangin in age from 32 - 65 years old. They too look for excuses to ride.

We are planning a trip to Carlsbad caverns (160+ miles one way)this spring and a trip to Abqu. NM. (200 or so miles one way.) If you are here by then you can tag along.

CrazyHawk26 said:
Toddlerp,
Exactly the kind of report I was hoping to hear! Love to ride - Logged over 10,000 miles in a little over a year just f-cking around on the weekends. I report in April and I’ll be a geographical bachelor. Figure I'll grab a small apartment. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with the Deuce. Don't want to leave it outside - Figure maybe one of those self storage places unless I can find an apartment with a garage.
Anyway, truly appreciate the offer. I'll drop you a PM when I get in town - Lunch and whatever you’re drinking is on me.

Roy

·
Registered
769 Posts
CrazyHawk26 said:
Toddlerp,

Roy

yup you are going to like it ,,,,great riding ...and you are right there ....Having toured a great deal of texas and NM ....i have to admit its some of the best riding i have ever done ..... and i have seen alot of this country from two wheel.......tx and nm are my favorite .....rat

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
I think you will like it here. A huge part of the population is retired military. My dad retired here back in 73. Year round riding here. The weather will definately spoil you. Only negative aspect is wind. We do get some hellish winds here. But Ill take wind over tornados, hurricanes, ice storms, flooding, etc. Oh yeah, be prepared to dine on the best mexican food in the US. We are also close to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso NM, for good skiing and mountain riding (Golden Aspen Rally). Houses are also reasonably priced, however this is said to change with the large influx of incoming military.

·
What, me worry?
200 Posts
CrazyHawk26 said:
Love Mexican food!!. Can't wait - I'm stoked. :wootdnc: :chopper:
Make sure you get up to the Blue Front Cafe in Glenwood, NM then 'cause they have the best enchiladas in the entire world! Stacked style with homemade chili (enchilada sauce for you gringos). Oh, and that's a great ride, too, through Silver City to Glenwood into the White Mountains in Arizona, down the Coronado Trail (435+ hairpin curves in 92 miles).

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Big Bend is a must ride and if you like to camp out, be sure to go prepared for that! Be sure to keep close track of your gas, there can be a lot of miles between places to fill up the tank.

Head up to New Mexico, there is lot of good stuff up there! Check out Lincoln county and find where Billy the Kid is supposed to be buried.

BTW, all of the secondary roads out there are 70mph too, so get ready to cover some country!

You are going to like it out there!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Contact

Tried to PM you. Your box is full. PM or email me.

CrazyHawk26 said:
I'll be relocating to El Paso TX. this spring (Ft. Bliss) - Change in duty station. I'm really looking forward to leaving this desk job and getting back in the cockpit.
Any tips/advise, especially related to riding, local attractions, etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
i'm sure you'll have fun out there...just wanted to say thanks for your service.:clap: :thumbsup: {salute(

·
Registered
388 Posts
CrazyHawk26...
Your PM folder is full again so I could not send this to you. I sent you my email address earlier so it would be easier to communicate, let me know if that would be better for you.

...here is a portion of what I tried to send you...

In case you did not know ~ May 19-21 (it may start the 18th) is a big bike weekend in Ruidoso, NM. Thousands of bikes, beautiful scenery, big swap meet, etc. A parade on Saturday or Sunday AM. It is vistually a straight shot up rt. 54. Watch out for the speed traps in the small towns though.

Call their Chamber of Commerce to get more details...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I lived in TX for a while...am from Ohio....I had a good time there...things really are differnent in Texas....love it or hate it....I think you'll really enjoy the ridning there.....so what do you fly? Going by your screen name mabe a Global Hawk:dunno: ?

350Z

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
350Z said:
I lived in TX for a while...am from Ohio....I had a good time there...things really are differnent in Texas....love it or hate it....I think you'll really enjoy the ridning there.....so what do you fly? Going by your screen name mabe a Global Hawk:dunno: ?

350Z
Global Hawk.... Well, I guess someone’s gotta fly that thing.. sorta. It's a UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle). I fly RC7s and/or C-12s. Used to fly Cobras, a long.. long.. time ago :)

Toddlerp, Thanks for the great tip! I plan on being there:chopper:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts