V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always ridden Roak Kings, but thinking I might like the comforts of the EG as I am at the mid-century mark. I'm curious what I'll notice in handling and ride?

Any of you ever switch from a Road King to and Ultra, then later regret it?

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I went from a RK to an Ultra. No regrets. The Ultra weighs only about seven percent more than a Road King, not enough to make a significant difference.
There is a real difference in comfort.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
If its comfort you want try a Road Glide.

The feel of the RG is closer to the King then the Ultra. The fairing sits out further in front of you and less confining.
The Ultra rear end is heavier then the other two due to the big king size tour pack.
Putting a chopped tour pack on the Road Glide makes up for the storage room if you need it and takes away little from balance, ride, comfort, or flow of lines.

Die hard Ultra guys will tell you the tour pac isn't a big deal and they use to sitting with the bat wing in their laps, to each his own.
But going to an open front end to a fairing can be constricting.

I've had all three styles. Open, bat wing, and shark nose. For me its the Road Glide.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have both. The Electra Glide is fantastic. I also rented a Road Glide for a trip to Canada, and found the Electra to be a much nicer bike overall. You never know the tour pak is back there when riding.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I put 40,500 miles on my '04 RK. In August I did a 6500 mile trip including Sturgis. That trip convinced me that I needed more creature comforts. I did a lot of test rides at Harley's event at Sturgis. My real decision was between the Road Glide and the Ultra. By the time I got the Road Glide set up the way I wanted, the Ultra became a better buy. I've had the Ultra (with ABS) for 1700 miles, and know that I made the correct decsision. Even thought the ultra is heavier, I think it handles better than the RK. Either way, you won't go wrong. But try to rent some bikes before you spend the money.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
I think the same

Chart said:
Why is it that you think it handles better?
Why? It just feels better balanced to me, your opinion may differ. I've owned a 06 RK, 06 Electra Classic and 07 Ultra. My wife owns a 07 SG. The SG is the best balance of the bunch.......in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
roofeditor said:
Why? It just feels better balanced to me, your opinion may differ. I've owned a 06 RK, 06 Electra Classic and 07 Ultra. My wife owns a 07 SG. The SG is the best balance of the bunch.......in my opinion.
I don't have an openion on this, nor a dog in this fight. I own a softail now, but am thinking of moving to a touring Harley. So, my questions are not to challenge you, but to actually figure out what causes your SOP feel, when both models should be the same (not counting seats, shocks, heigts). Just looking at it, it seems the weight of the faring and weight of the trunk should offset each other.

A friend, who was a motorcycle training officer to many departments, claimed the police Roadking was the best handleing police Harley he road, followed by the police electra glide, and the police dyna a very distant third. Keep in mind he's mostly doing slow speed handleing drills in parking lots during the training, and his department spec'ed electra glides for his duty bike.

Your views and his seem to differ, but my gut say's your all correct, so here's what I wonder: Could the placement of the seat be the difference? Do Ultra's have their seats more forward than civilian RK's? Police models have the rider forward and up, which I understand leads to better ballance. Could Ultra's be similar?

I'm not trying to difficult here, but really want to figure this out. Thanks for your help.

·
chrome monger
32 Posts
i had an 03 road king, an 06 ultra and now an 07 ultra. in my opinion you just cant beat an electra glide in comfort. maybe it was the year, but even though the ultra is heavier than the rk, the ultra's front end feels so much lighter and easier to handle. a road king is a nice bike but electra glides are the way to go.
robert
milwaukee

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Road King or Ultra

Well Ill give you my 2cents here goes. Ive been ridding HD since 84 in 88 bought a dresser and that is all I have been riddin a new one about every 2 yeasars traded the in for a new FLHTC and then in 05 decided I wanted a Road King had that until now 9K mikles on it Im in the negotiations with the dealer Im trading it in for guess what?? An Electra Glide 2008 FLHTC no ABS! TheEG rides better to me handles better because you sit into the bike the RK you sit more on top of it. It hadles a whole lot better to me IMOP Ill take a Glide over a RK any day Ill never go back, sorry guys the Road King is a great bike, just my personel prefrence, Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ultra Classic

Can't tell you the difference but I went from the Heritage Softail Classic to the Ultra Classic and the wife couldn't be happier. We just took a 300 mile one day round trip the the Blue Ridge Parkway and the wife loved it. Left Concord NC at 9:30 on Sunday and got home at 8:00 that night. The wifes comfort makes for a better ride. She says it is like sitting on a motorized couch.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You sit higher on an Ultra than a RK. The only reason that you might feel that you sit in it is because of all the junk in the front and back. I use a windshield 99% of the time and when touring, I have 2 packs on the luggage rack and in back of me, more than the EG could handle. If I could buy something right now, it would be a RG. I would put a solo seat on it and use racks for trips.-2$en#e-

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Eddy G said:
If its comfort you want try a Road Glide.

The feel of the RG is closer to the King then the Ultra. The fairing sits out further in front of you and less confining.
The Ultra rear end is heavier then the other two due to the big king size tour pack.
Putting a chopped tour pack on the Road Glide makes up for the storage room if you need it and takes away little from balance, ride, comfort, or flow of lines.

Die hard Ultra guys will tell you the tour pac isn't a big deal and they use to sitting with the bat wing in their laps, to each his own.
But going to an open front end to a fairing can be constricting.

I've had all three styles. Open, bat wing, and shark nose. For me its the Road Glide.
I agree!! I ride a RK and was seriously considering an Ultra for it's cargo capacity and most of all the radio. After sitting on one, I was not comfortable and what you mention about the batwing sitting in your lap is correct. I've been eying a Road Glide for the past month and seriously considering it. It handles better and contrary to popular opinion anbout the ugliness of the dual headlights...I like it! The Street Glide is beautiful form the side and back view but is uneventful from the front. The Road Glide in my humble opinion is classy looking and looks great from the front. The Ultra cramps me up a little where the Road King and Road Glide allow me to stretch out and relax. My lil' lady would love the Ultra but as I tell her..."You don't have to operate it...I do!" Case closed!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I put thousands of highway miles on a 02 RK and enjoyed it. Ive had a 06 Ultra for two years now and would not go back. At first it does seem your right on top of the batwing, but you get use to it within the first couple hundred miles. Highway pegs, backrest and sheepskin and you'll never look back. Bikes handle about the same.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I really have not ridden the others, but compared to a Sportie, and a GW, I love the way my 04 RK Police rides. Even better than the GW.
The Honda felt bullky and cumbersome. I have none of that with the RK.
I do want to add a tour pack and I think I would like the batwing better than the windshield.
For what it's worth

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got one of each. I couldn't go without a tourpak, I got one on my FLHR too. Radio is great for weather, and long rides. Also traffic reports. My hands stay alot warmer with full fairing.

There is a million threads on which bike should I buy, scroll throug here a few pages. But seriously only you know which bike to buy yourself.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
You won't

killerbob said:
Been on the fence for an Ultra and have finally made a decision:.

I have ordered a 08 Anniversary Ultra - Hope I won't regret !
Running down the road in the rain (It happens) you will remain 90% dry with no rain gear. Put your feet up on the highway pegs (get them) lean back against the back rest (get that too) engage the cruise control, fire up some Bruce (Born to run) on the CD and you will wonder why you ever considered anything else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts