V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I'm planning to buy a new bike soon. I'm looking for something comfortable that offers good wind protection. I like both electra glide and road glide but cannot make up my mind. Any input is welcome.
What about hand protection when raining on those bikes?

Thanks.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. This topic has been discussed many times before. Try a search using the search function above. I did one and this is just some of the prior topics on this forum.

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=70374
http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=65646

There are tons more from before this. Also check out the sticky EG and RG threads at the top of the touring forum. Lots to see there too. Hope this helps. Just go rent and ride them before you buy if you can do this where you live. That is the best way to find the one that fits you the best.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcome to the friendly rivalry between the EG and RG owners.

Both are good bikes and will offer up lots of protection from the elements. EG's farings are attached to the handlebars and the RG to the frame. Both have stereo's, cruise control and depending on the EG you are looking at, more creature comforts for the passenger. You will have to add goodies to an RG if you want it to be equal to an EG in that respect.

Otherwise you are getting the same basic platform. Styling is the biggest issue then. Most EG owners just don't care for the RG's appearance, while to an RG owner, it is the pick of the litter.

In either case, you will get a very fine motorcycle, comfortable and capable of chewing up lots of miles!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
two words, GLOVE BAGS

Seriously, if you are gonna do ALOT of riding in bad weather, the glove bags are pretty nice luxury but, I live in oregon and ride in my share of cold and wet and have really not had much problem keeping my hands warm and dry with just medium weight leather gloves on my Road Glide...
Like RG said, rent em both before you buy, take em for a good long ride and decide. Make sure you set up the pegs, bars, and levers before you leave the dealer on the rentals. One of these not properly adjusted for you can ruin your impression of that model. I know this cuz it happened to me! I was lucky enough to end up with a Road Glide and wouldn't trade it for anything....

Except a newer road glide!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks all for your comments. I'll try to rent both but it's quite difficult to find RG to rent.

I prefer the look of the RG and like the idea of the fix fairing. Now, the look is just a secondary criteria. Isn't the fairing and windshield too far from the pilot?

Thanks again. I cannot wait to buy it.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
dadag said:
Thanks all for your comments. I'll try to rent both but it's quite difficult to find RG to rent.

I prefer the look of the RG and like the idea of the fix fairing. Now, the look is just a secondary criteria. Isn't the fairing and windshield too far from the pilot?
That is one of the reasons I prefer the RG to the EG. I do not like the cramped feeling on the EG of the fairing, guages and windshield being so close to me. On RG I get the protectin of the wind but still have that open air feeling of space at the same time. Also I prefer to look over not thru the windshield and on the RG you can set it up to do this without wind problems if you replace the stock windshield with the clearview windshield that has the lip on it that pushes the air up over your head. That company also makes a windshield for the EG that can be set up to do the same with it however. I would not part with your money until you nave ridden both even if you have to travel to the UK to rent one (my guess is that may be your closest place to do so, but just a guess). Anyway good luck on your search and let us know what you decided after you ride both.

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
dadag said:

See, you hit the nail on the head. I can't stand a fixed fairing and really don't care for the look of a Road Glide. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.