V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the best laid plans of mice and men....

I was "window" shopping on Saturday and was looking at the stock of Road Glides and Electra Glides and the salesperson that sold me my 1st bike said that if she were me that she'd take a look at the 96 Road King back in the corner. I was over in the corner and didn't see anything that looked like a 10 year old bike and I wasn't sure I wanted to see anything 10yrs old. I'm not buying today (that's what I'm thinking anyway) so I go over and see this RK. It was the same bike I'd seen out of the corner of my eye earlier that I figured was no more than 3 or 4 yrs old.
I take a closer look and the 96 was in great shape with a ding or two on the tour pack and a scratch on the tank being all I could see. I thought maybe it had been in storage but the odometer showed 59k. It was just well taken care of, cosmetically anyway. I knew it had stage one done but apparently it has stage two also with a performance touring cam (I know what a cam is but not sure what the performance touring part means). Also, the tour pack and saddlebags looked to be in good shape and the corbin seat was nice too. The bike fit the picture in my head of what a Harley should be! Black, chrome all over with a growling exhaust.
I've always liked the look of the Road King but my quest for music had pretty much precluded it. At a price of 11500 before fees with all that chrome and in great shape I was totally interested. Once she came over and started it up I was sold. The supertrapp system sounded great and a rush of adrenaline later and I'm asking her to see what we can do about this bike.
I picked it up Monday and have ridden it twice. It's hard to explain the feeling I get when I ride it. A lot different from the sportster. It reminds me of the 67 Cougar I had. A great exhaust note and nice power and a smooth, floating ride.
I'm usually very practical but I'm vulnerable to the occasional impulse buy. This was a combo of both I think. I can still tour on this and I love the style and look. I also don't need to add much if anything to it except I need to figure out how to get music on the thing.
I'm a fairly recent convert to Harley having ridden an interceptor and a cb500. I wasn't happy with those bikes but since I bought the sportster and now the Road King it's been a total awakening. I haven't pinned it down yet but for some reason riding a Harley is more fun and excitement than I could've imagined.
Thanks again to everyone who helped me get info on the EG and RG. I really did intend to get one of those. In a few years I'll probably still get one but right now I'm enjoying Road King.
Any info on the 96 would be appreciated. The bike seems very similar to the new models except for the engine. I was surprised how it didn't look very different from the 05 the guy at work has.
Once it gets a little warmer and I can get ahold of a better digital camera I'll post some pics.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Glad you got your bike. FLHRs are great bikes. I put a tour pak on mine also and haven't ridden without it.

Myself, when I hit around 100k would tear the motor apart and redo it. You can add a fairing to that bike, with a radio. Build the bike you want. Theres not alot to a bike. Maintain, inspect and repalce and you will be ok. When that bike gets older you can replace all the wear items cheaper then buying new one. But new is nice too.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Harley has a stereo system that can be mounted. Pretty good sound too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts