V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy an Electra Glide once I sell a bike or two. I will buy a used one & am curious what major modifications there were over the year.

Essentially, is there a certain year & newer that I should look for.

thanks in anvance,
Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
I owned a 98 EG and then bought an 04. What I noticed different was- - - the 98 had front and rear air shocks - - - only on the rear of the 04, the 98 had fiberglass bags- - -the 04 has some poly type bags, the 98 ran a hell of a lot cooler than the 04, the fuel injection is better than the carb, I think the 98 handled better. Ride it before you buy it. Good luck

"there being no charges filed---I stand mute"

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you want fuel injected, go with an '02 or newer, that is when they put the delphi fi systems in the baggers. I have an '01 Ultra that has the Magneti Marrelli FI and it works fine, I think it is just easier to deal with the delphi if you are modifying the engine very much. Changed the frame in 97, went to the TC-88 in 99. Would probably steer clear of 99-00, they had some cam bearing problems with those. Other that that, they changes have been pretty subtle. I think they went to the better brake calipers in 2000 and went from 3.37 gearing on the FI models to 3.15 in 2002. I love mine, rode a Road King from 1995 to last December. The RK was great but the Ultra is a definite improvement. I love the little extra's, like the radio and cruise.

Have fun

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Get an Ultra, it has all the bells and whistles. Buy one as new as you can afford. Get the service manual. Get some tools. Do most of your own service (or all of it if you can wrench) Most importantly...... ride the Ba!!s off of it!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I should get an 01 or newer. There's alot of low (under 30k) mileage ones around, so I should be in good shape. I imagine an unmodified engine should be good for over 100k.

thnaks for the info,
Mike

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought a 2000 with 7000 miles on it. I was concerned about the cam bearings, so apart it came . Turned out one was going, so I used the excuse that it was apart anyway to do a 95" with cams. Worked for me and I don't worry about the bearings anymore!

I would stick with 2000 and up just to get the better brakes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If money isnt the issue then buy new, otherwise I'd stay away from 05 and up. That's the yr they made the engine changes. Valves, guides, springs.
If you want to spend money at the dealerships then get the EFI if you work on your own bike get the carbed.
I'd try and get a 95" because the eg's are underpowered for what they're designed to do. I read somewhere that in 98 the MOCO was going to do all the heavy bikes with 95" but they couldn't pass EPA crap. Some biker mag someplace. I'd also try to get one with a decent cam but I think all the ones with the cam failure have failed and been replaced. --------

·
Registered
769 Posts
Would probably steer clear of 99-00, they had some cam bearing problems with those.

That really isnt that big an issue ,, due to the fact that you are going to be in there at 35k anyway to swap out the cam chain tension shoes .... swap out the bearing at the same time .......any twin cam is going to be facing cam chain tension shoes about every 35 to 40 k ... at that point you either replace them or go to a gear drive.....rat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a test ride today at a dealer in the foothills of NC. It was about 45 when I took the ride & somewhat windy. I was very impressed with the bike. It's very smooth, does a good job at blocking the wind, and the EFI worked well. The only negative is that I thought it would have more power. I guess I shouldn't expect too much power from a 800lb bagger.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FLHRIDER said:
Do not know why you guys think the new bikes are no good ? My 06 bagger is one of the best running bikes I have owned.

Me too! My '06 runs just fine. I'll know more in 50,000 miles or so:)

Hope this sucker holds up like all my other HDs.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
2002 is the best year IMHO by then the cam bearing issues were gone and it's the last year with the good crank bearings. And it has the Delphi injection. If you are going to build it you will be better off with the 02 bottom end.

·
Registered
79 Posts
04GLIDE said:
2002 is the best year IMHO by then the cam bearing issues were gone and it's the last year with the good crank bearings. And it has the Delphi injection. If you are going to build it you will be better off with the 02 bottom end.
Good info, not going to be doing an wheelie's with my bagger, so I am not going to build it. Got a 94 Sporty built for big twin hunting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want EFI the 2002 is probably the best year:
1. Delphi EFI system
2. Timken crank bearings ('03 and later use straight roller)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts