V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change my air cleaner and muffler's without having to have it remapped?I have a friend who changed his mufflers on RK without any problems.This is a 2003 FLHTCUI

·
Registered
250 Posts
It will not "hurt" the bike to not remap as when all that free flowing air starts moving around and the AF becomes too lean your ECM Ion knock sensing will kick in and retard the ignition advance thus stopping detonation.
However..... why would you NOT get the remap (cartridge or SE Tuner) and take advantage of the better flow for better performance?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it does this then why do I need to go to H.D. to remap this? M,aybe I do'nt knhow what I'am talking about.This is why I 'am asking why.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It will likely run better (more power, throttle response) if you get it re -mapped. When the systems retard the ignition to protect it, you lose power. Since most of us can't get enough power, there would seem to be no reason, other a small fee, for not getting it tuned proprly.

Not trying to dismiss $150 as nothing, but for the performance difference on a $20k bike, it seems small. jmho

·
Registered
561 Posts
More air is great for an engine, but you gotta tell the system how to use that extra air to make the extra power...

I did the re-map after putting on pipes and K&N filter...BIG DIFFERENCE!

The first thing you will notice is the throttle response is crisper, and the power curve feels more linear as you accelerate. The engine will feel "happier" all around.

...No sir...I NEVER exceeded 55mph...I swear...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts