V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for everyone's insight... I've learned a ton just by lurking over the past week. Now I've got a question...

I just sold my Sportster and I'm due to pick up a 2003 Heritage Softail next month. I've already pre-ordered V&H Big Shots and a Stage I kit. However, I'm new to fuel injected bikes, so I'm a little confused about what I need to do to get the performance improvements from the pipes and hi-flow air cleaner.

Like rejetting a carb, I understand that the fuel injection must be reprogrammed, but is the EFI remap that comes with Stage I sufficient? I see all sorts of ads and discussion on the Power Commander, how does it differ? and is the extra cost worth it?

My goal is to get the engine running at an optimal level, but I'm not trying to wring every last bit of HP out of the motor at the expense of reliability.

Thx,
Eric

·
Registered
130 Posts
First off, when you say you are getting the Stage I kit, is it the kit that includes the reflash, or just the SE air cleaner. It the kit includes the reflash, and I assume it does, and you aren't planning any more engine modifications, then you are all set. A power commander or DFO will allow you to readjust the fuel curve to tune out any performance issues you may have or to compensate for any additional modifications you make. But if you are done with the work you have already ordered, they wouldn't be worth the extra expense.

I just had a **** load of work done on my bike and opted to have a stage II remap done. I removed the Power COmmander that I had been using before. BIke runs great as is. I just sold the PC and am happy as is.

YMMV
Ken

·
Registered
276 Posts
Harley remaps are still EPA legal so they are not letting your motor put out what it can. Power Comander or HD Tuner tuned on a dyno is your best bet.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
The HD tuner is by far the best but you or the programmer needs to know what they are doing. PC is also a good choice but again (my opinion) a custom map on a dyno is necessary.

Is your dealer going to warrantee it with the stage one map and other mods, if so you might want to stick with that. My dealer will do a custom map on a PC and still warrantee the work if they do the mapping, many will not. A conversation with your service department is in order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UltraKC, yes the Stage I kit I'm getting does include the EFI remap.

I guess what I'm hearing is that the EFI remap is sort of generic and EPA sanitized, while Power Commander (and the like) in the right hands will really do the best job of tailoring performance to your individual bike's characteristics. I wonder if the difference in performance would even be noticeable?

Sounds like I DO need to have a chat with the HD Service department about the effect on the warranty, especially after reading the article on Harley warranties in the latest issue of AMERICAN IRON.

Never had to have any warranty work done on my Sportster, but after reading this article, sounds like I would have been up S**t creek, with the carb/pipe mods I had done.

Eric

·
Registered
276 Posts
AICMan, as an example before I did all the motorwork I have now, I had SE air cleaner kit and Hooker slip-ons and stage 1 flash. I then added the PC and had it custom mapped at a tuning center. I rode back to back with the PC unplugged then plugged back in. Without the custom map PC the bike would fart and pop and had less midrange pull. Yes the PC made a worth while difference for me.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It should not affect the warranty unless it can be proven that the PC caused whatever problem the warranty work is for. Some dealers can be real a**holes about it though. Other dealers install and service the PC's themselves. Check with whichever dealer would do your warranty work, if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts