V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of buying a harley efi race tuner kit from a friend...he used it on his fatboy and was wondering if it would still work on my night train...i hear it is VIN specific...they are the same year 04 and are both efi...

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
VIN specific means VIN specific. Unless you get his ECM as well, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can i be sure its used...he told me that he recieved it in a box from his dealer...the cd and the gray cable were still factory sealed...he got his bike re-calibrated by the dealer for his new bassani exhaust, but so did i and i never received the kit...any thoughts...any way to check if its been used...

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
If it's sealed it may not have been used, in which case it's good providing the version will work with your bike.

The easiest way to tell is to hook it up and see, but once you retrieve your VIN with it you bought it.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Oh, one other thing. Is the little black box still sealed? This is the part that determines if it will work. The dealer could have used their own cables, but used his box, in which case you're screwed.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
bizmarkee7 said:
how can i be sure its used...he told me that he recieved it in a box from his dealer...the cd and the gray cable were still factory sealed...he got his bike re-calibrated by the dealer for his new bassani exhaust, but so did i and i never received the kit...any thoughts...any way to check if its been used...
Were you charged for a Race tuner or just for a "flash"?
Some dealers keep the black box so it's there when you bring it in next time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just plugged the little black box in to my computer and there are nothing but zeros...it seems as though nothing has been done with the unit...any ideas, is it clean for me to buy???

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Was the box the "black box" was in sealed?
It's the only part dealers use when tuning. They have their own cables and software.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Mine always shows nothing in the VIN until I tell it to get it. Never hooked it up to another bike to see what it does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts