V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a duece, should I look for carburated or EFI bike? Which is better? Pros/ Cons?

If you have one for sale please contact me....

Thanks.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
It depends who you ask, and what forum you are on. EFI starts in the cold but if you plan on doing modifications for performance you have to know what your doing, its here to stay. Nothing the matter with carburatores either.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I agree w/ Thealien. Lots of posts on this forum, kinda like synthetic vs. regular oil, those in the know, use synthetic (lol).

·
Registered
278 Posts
i have had both efi and carb...

there are more mods for performance in the carb realm.
but like a previous post stated EFI is here to stay.

so more perf mods for EFI will be forth coming..
currently i have EFI and LOVE IT...i will not go back to carb.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an EFI Deuce and I love it. ...but then again my buddy has a Softail Custom with a carb, and I was in love with that before I got my Deuce. Like the other guys said though its all a matter of opinion, and theres nothing wrong with either one. I personally like not having to screw with the choke.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have efi on my soft tail classic - find it smoother than the carb and a bit better gas mileage. better cold starts too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
truckman you live in texas so it doesnt count.

In indiana mine has started so far this winter . just needs a little throttle
boost at first.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Like they say it depends on your riding. If you just want to ride and not worry about adjustments go with the EFI. If your sick in the head like me and have to tear everything apart, you might want to go with a carb.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Either

Either is a good choice. Carbs have been around for ever. At present time there are more modifications available for a carbed bike.

I choose EFI for several reasons. It is the way of the future. All cars went to it, boats are going to it, jetskis are going to it. When properly set up it offers much more precise control of fuel mixture and compensates for altituide and tmeperature changes. More and more performance mods are comming out For EFI.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
truckman said:
Humm...Both my carbed (03 flhtc,02flstc) bikes start and run flawlessly in cold weather. Am I the only one?
well...I have carb on my Heritage.and living in Virgina, where it IS COLD....FREEZING.. and I have ridden the last 2 days ..temps in the low 30's.. has .started right up and ran perfect..

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I've had both. The most trouble came from an EFI bike. EFI is here to stay, that's for sure. If you plan on performance upgrades the carb will more readlily lend itself to adaptation.

If you are in Timbuktu or BFE finding a wrench and parts is a lot easier. Also the EFI bikes seem to run hotter.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A properly dialed in carb is a beautiful thing! My main drive for purchasing the 03 flhtc was that it's still available in carb. might not have this option in 04.remember the 02 roadglide is the last year for a carb setup in that particular model.

·
Registered
725 Posts
truckman said:
Humm...Both my carbed (03 flhtc,02flstc) bikes start and run flawlessly in cold weather. Am I the only one?
Nope. I'm at 8800ft. in central Colorado, riding year round in cold weather. Both CV carbed bikes start easily... FXSTD and FLSTC, and FWIW, they handle serious change in alititude without hesitation.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think it all depends on what you are doing with the bike and whether you plan on doing it yourself. If you are a wrencher a carb would be best, if you are the exact oposite then get an efi. Otherwise there is no real simple decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts