V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Eletra Glide Classic idles around 850-900 Rpm's causing a lot of motor shake. I would like to raise the idle to 1000-1500, without taking it to the dealer for a re-map.

I can remove the air cleaner and backing plate, and then remove the factory plug over the throttle set screw and raise the rpm's that way (like a cv carb.) but I'm wondering if this will work as the service Manuel says it can only be adjusted by computer?

The bike has a SE 1550 upgrade and runs great except for the low idle. Thanks in advance for and help,

Wayne C.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
There is no "throttle set screw". The fuel in metered by an electrical pulse to the injectors.
Assuming you didn't set the idle that low, you might try some injector cleaner.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Since you mention a dealer re-map, I'm assuming you don't have the SERT which I think allows you to do this pretty easily. I'm working on pretty limited knowledge here, and I'm sure you'll get some answers from guys who actually know for sure, but I think you need a scanalyzer to do what you want, which would mean a trip to the dealer.

You might want to just ask your dealership what they can do for you. I had a similar idle problem a while back and the service guys just told me bring it on back. It took them about 15-20 minutes, idle problem fixed and best of all, no charge. Just try to catch 'em when they're not too busy and see if they'll help you out.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You should not mechanically adjust the throttle blade. Seems to me that there is another issue as the factory idle setting for all EFI maps, including stock, is 1000 RPM. A lot of times when the bike is put back together a re-routing of the throttle cable or other issue can cause the throttle position sensor to be out of the idle parameters. And if that is off then the IAC is off. Now the most that you want to turn that screw is about a half turn, as you have about a .10 millivolt range of adjustment before you are out of the idle tables in the ECU, if you must screw with it, but the dealer can analyze and adjust with his own equipment, (if he knows how to use it). If you decide to screw with this yourself you will want to OPEN the throttle blade a tad and see what happens, but if it doesn't work be sure to turn it back or you will throw the IAC off for the whole map.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EFI low idle question

Thank you GRock and other for your reply. I did turn the screw a tad (less than 1/2 turn) and it brought the idle up to 1,000. It seams to be holding allright during heat up and a short ride.

If it does start acting up on me can I reset the screw and re-set the efi by pulling the fuse to get it back to where it was without doing some king of damage?
Wayne C.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You are OK! Just exactly what I described. The TPS was a little on the short side and you brought it back into correct voltage range. Pulling the fuse does not re-set EFI.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EFI low idle

Thanks Grock. I am new to Harley FI bikes. My Kawasaki
Nomad FI has an exposed adjustment screw that you can set at any rpm you want. Again, thanks a lot.
Wayne C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts