V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a number of sources that the HD fuel injector on the 02/03 touring models is the Chrysler Dodge Stealth fuel injector. If so, that means that they are Denso 360cc/min injectors for the non turbocharged Stealth. The direct replacement on the Stealth for the Denso 360 is the Denso 550 Part number 195500-1370.
Now the HD docs say the HD injector is 4.35gm/sec. That converts to 440s not 360s. So who is kidding who?
Can anyone actually confirm the injector part number and flow on an HD Touring 02/03 model AND the direct replacement part number for bumping the flow 50%.
If you think no ones done this yet in NA you're probably right but I don't like the stock injectors running a pulse width of 20ms at 5500RPM when they should be 12-15 max.
Forget about shimming the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was reading an artcle in cycle worlds power & perfomance hd magazene.About Russ Collins who is working on putting out a higher flow rate injector.Hope this helps youre search.

·
Registered
34 Posts
gasoline specific gravity ~ .738

That means that gasoline is lighter than water by about 26% per unit volume. (Didn't realize it was that light but a couple of references matched so I'll assume that's correct).

(4.35 g/s) / (.738 g/cc) = 5.89 cc/s

(5.89 cc/s) * (60 s/min) = 353 cc/min

This is almost exactly the spec for the Chrysler product so I believe that you were correct and nobody is lying.

What would be the advantage of going to the larger flow rate injector if your air fuel ratio is already good? Are you looking at larger displacement or compressed air intake (super/turbo charger)?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed - if you use the right conversions then the 4.35gm/sec are probably the Stealth Denso 360s. That means the direct replacement is the Denso 550.
The application is the 2003 SE103 Road King. Got the stock injectors up to a PW of 20ms at TPs of 80-100 and I don't like that at 500RPM and up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EFI Injectors - Upgrade

So today I stopped by a dealer and spoke with their service manager and "expert" on late model fuel injection. Told him I wanted to upgrade 02 FLHTCUI EFI injectors from HD part number 27609-01 4.35gm/sec == 360cc/min injectors to 550s or so.
Heard again that they are Chrysler/Dodge Stealth/Mits 3000 maybe - maybe.??
I then took an HD 2002 injector from the shop and went to Dodge to see for myself.
Attached is the Stealth injector. It don't look anything like the HD injector. In fact it ain't close.
So the mystery continues.
The HD injector Part Number 27609-01 has IWP 043 and 1861/10 engraved on it. No one at Dodge could find a Mitsubishi or Denso number even close.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 6000RPM you have 20ms of cycle time. If it takes your injector more than 14-16ms to get the job done then your injector duty cycle is too high. If it takes your injector 20ms and all you have is 20ms in the cycle then your injector is basically always open and will burn out as well as not deliver the fuel fast enough in the correct cycle time.
This and the induction module is why you do not see the current HD EFI sytems on big motors. 116,124,131. Even the 103 appears to be a problem in the 5500 to 6500 range.
The fuel pressure at 60 is more than adequate and would have to be raised to 100+ which would cause other problesm so injector size is the answer.
Just like jets on a carb. Its the same

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Tsuter:

I've read some info on another forum by a very knowledgeable EFI guy that they are probably Delphi Automotive or GM units. He did admit that was an educated guess as he hasn't checked it out. Might be forth looking into.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have nothing to back it up, but everything I've read say the injectors are Delphi units.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts