V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have an 03 fatboy that after it runs for awhile shuts down. I’m getting a code that the front fuel injector is lean and the main relay is open or closed. I’ve replaced all the lines in the tank, fuel filter and pressure regulator , fuel pump and the disconnect. I’ve also replaced the tps and main relay. I’m tired of dumping money into it. This started happening after I changed my tank and rear fender. I’ve also checked my grounds after I did that and cleaned all of them and still no better.

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
You need to recheck all the electrical connections that you disturbed when you did the work.
Also,the wire(s) going to the injectors had a habit of breaking inside the insulation near the injector connector around that model year.The wires were on the short side and tended to be a bit stretched.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to recheck all the electrical connections that you disturbed when you did the work.
Also,the wire(s) going to the injectors had a habit of breaking inside the insulation near the injector connector around that model year.The wires were on the short side and tended to be a bit stretched.
So one more thing. While its killed and I’m rolling I can hold it wide open and it will run, but it only stays running if I have 3/4 to full throttle held. Do you think that could still be the issue? How can I test the injector wires? Just wiggle them around and see if it throws a light?

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Recheck all connections that you disconnected and reconnected.Continuity or ohm test on the injector wires should determine if there is a problem.

If this reply is beyond your understanding then you should refer to a factory service manual and or find a competent HD mechanic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recheck all connections that you disconnected and reconnected.Continuity or ohm test on the injector wires should determine if there is a problem.

If this reply is beyond your understanding then you should refer to a factory service manual and or find a competent HD mechanic.
No easy but should I check the wires from the ecu to the injector with an ohm meter? Is that where the wires come directly from?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No easy but should I check the wires from the ecu to the injector with an ohm meter? Is that where the wires come directly from?

Nevermind I looked at the wiring diagram. I’ll try that and hope that’s what it is.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
The main relay is an issue on those scooters.

Past that, one jug running lean is usually one of three things. Intake seal leak. Bad injector, broken wire in the injector harness, usually right at the injector plug.

Switch the injector and see if the lean code moves with it or stays put.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts