V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm done with the MM EFI on my 2000 flhtci.I've gone with the S&S IST ig. controller and am now trying to figure out how to install this. It came with the harness to plug it into a car. wiring harness and I have a EFI harness.
Has anyone tried this??
It looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of splicing, looking for any help or sugestions.....Help!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
MM EFI to carb

Try this. I used all these parts when I converted my '01 eglide from carb. Bike ran awesome.

Engine mount (with slot for choke) ……. 16315-99 $5.51
Choke cable ……. 29229-88B $8.80
Choke elbow ……. 27580-88 $2.18
Choke boot ……. 27582-88 $1.78
Intake manifold ……. 27613-99 $22.43
Manifold seals ……. 26995-86B $1.51 X 2
Seal ring (carb/manifold)…… 27002-89 $4.91
Ignition Harness ……. 32435-00 $104.43
Manifold sensor (MAP) ……. 32316-99 $26.95
Manifold sensor seal ……. 11291 $0.99
Retaining clip ……. 38723-99 $0.13
Retaining clip screw ……. 68042-99 $0.85
FLHTC Fuel Tank Luxury Blue- 61019-01XY $700
Stock Petcock- 61338-94D $53.00
Fuel Level Sending Unit- 75040-97B $40
Stock CV40 Carb- 27412-99D $168.00
MM EFI Tank Conversion from Pingel $40.00
Screamin' Eagle Ignition 32721-01A $157.02
Total Cost $600.00

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
does anybody have a basic step-by-step for the EFI to Carb project. After getting the manual it confused my more than anything. I know this sounds stupid but i don't want to fukk anything up....sorry for the thread jack.
Tim

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
peterpan3 said:
Well I'm done with the MM EFI on my 2000 flhtci.I've gone with the S&S IST ig. controller and am now trying to figure out how to install this. It came with the harness to plug it into a car. wiring harness and I have a EFI harness.
Has anyone tried this??
It looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of splicing, looking for any help or sugestions.....Help!!
If you are looking to replace the MM controller, then you purchased the wrong S&S component. The IST is an ignition only controller for carb bikes only. The VFI is the ECU module that replaces either the MM or the Delphi computer and plugs directly into the stock EFI harness. S&S part #55-5006

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
We do a fair amount of the change overs. It really is a basic deal, most times however we sell the kit to the customer and we end up installing it anyways LOL. Like everything the first time can be a little tricky. You can take a few short cuts and leave the pump in the tank, leave on fitting on the tank. We pull the pump , and it is back to a stock set up for carb. Labor wise 5-7 hours based on how much extras are on the bike

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have a 1999 ultra that came with the mm efi. I have done way too many conversions on this bike. I first changed it to a delfi system patterned after a 2002. I got every thing to work even used my power commander with it .I then decided the race tuner was a better choice. I played with this for several years and even converted it to a half closed loop configuration. Well the only conversion I came up with that worked to my satifacton was to switch to the new twin tec efi controller and full closed loop option. The bike self tunes no more dyno time or guessing on setup. Twin tec offers a direct conversion from mm to their efi. no major harness changes. I have tried almost all the other options this one works better than the rest.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
cts1950 said:
Twin tec offers a direct conversion from mm to their efi. no major harness changes. I have tried almost all the other options this one works better than the rest.
What is the Twintec product that offers the direct conversion from MM? The only thing I find on their site are products that plug into the Delphi harness.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
This can be found on their FAQ page

Can the TCFI be adapted to work on bikes with the older Marelli fuel injection system?

A conversion harness that allows TCFI installation on Twin-Cam 88® engines with the Marelli fuel injection is available from Thayer Sales (585-762-4705). Please contact Thayer Sales for details. The TCFI cannot be adapted to earlier Evolution® engines as these lack a crank trigger.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
cts1950 said:
This can be found on their FAQ page

Can the TCFI be adapted to work on bikes with the older Marelli fuel injection system?

A conversion harness that allows TCFI installation on Twin-Cam 88® engines with the Marelli fuel injection is available from Thayer Sales (585-762-4705). Please contact Thayer Sales for details.
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, their FAQ is misleading.

My understanding of this from my conversation with Thayer himself is that the harness is but a small part of whats needed. You have to do the full Delphi conversion using the harness and also the Delphi Manifold/Throttle body with the Thayer fuel rail and the Delphi Coil and then you add the DTT TwinTec thats made for the Delphi system. the Thayer parts allow you to retain the MM pump so that you don't have to change your tank.

In other words: the DTT Twin Tec cannot actually be used with the MM system....but you can convert your MM to Delphi first, and then you can add the DTT.
The swap from MM to DTT auto tune is over two grand in parts.
I hope that there's a better solution out there.

If the HeadQuarters thing is for real, I'm ready to sign up!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
You have found out more by talking with Thayer.
I admit I did not use his harness. I bought a used delfi throttle body on ebay for 170 a used delfi coil for 25 and the efi harness for a 2002 HD part number 70233-02 which cost 272. The DTT I found on line for 650. The fuel pressure regulator is located in the tank on the delfi system not on the throttle body as the mm system. The major benifit of the delfi is it's ability to copmensate for minor manifold leaks because it uses a map sensor. It is the same sensor same delfi part number you find under the seat in the mm system that they use as the barometric sensor. I do not know why that could not be located on the mm manifold even remotely useing a hose and fitting. and be able to use the mm throttbody with the delfi/TT type ecm. The throttle position sensor and air temp sensors I think are the same values. The delfi coil has a additional wire to it which senses knock by measuring the resistance in the combustion chamber and will adjust the ingnition timing accordingly. The delfi system is superior to the mm for these reasons. The twintec ecm is better in you save the cost of dealer download, or the power commander 350 or race tuner 550 and dyno time. With the two wide band o2 sensors the tt is better than HD 2007 closed loop system which uses narow band o2 sensors. You get to program exactly what fuel air ratio you want at any rpm and throttle position and it will adjust to it if your injectors are capable. Wide band sensors can measure from 10 to one up to 20 to one ratios where the narrow is 14.7 to one which is too lean for a air cooled engine. That is why the 07s run so hot. At this time in my spare parts pile I have The original mm components, Power commander, delfi ecm and race tuner ,a terry's terminal velocity II automatic tuner which was a waste of time and 450. I hope the head quarters is not a repackaged terrys unit their price would suggest it. All the power comander and terry units do is make adjustments to the throttle setting by cutting into the throttle position wire and modifing the output voltage. The terrys unit comes with one narrow band o2 sensor and trys to tune to 14.7 and it has a limited range that it can adjust to. I think that I have tried and tested most of what is out there and the tt is the only one with real solutions for stock and modifyed motors. I tried to do it the least expensive way first which cost alot more

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In process changeover

I am changing to the mikuni, I'm changing the engine wiring harness to a carb unit, I'm waiting for the harness now and once I get that I hope to be rolling. I hope it comes in before it snows.
Still my biggest reason for this chabge is the MM unit is obsolete, and if your on a road trip and you have problems what are you going to do? You can't get a HD dealer to fix it because A-they don't know how and B-even if they knew how they don't have parts. You are better off asking for help from aftermarket shops. Every one that I've been to though the years have bent over backwards to try and help and keep you rolling. My last trip it really hit me how much the Harley dealers have transformed to a "fashion outlet" for chinese clothes. All service knows how to do is bolt on SE stuff if they can even do that.

Oh by the way, doing this changeover I decided to replace the coil. Well in V-Twin they had an aftermarket coil for $50.00. So I thought well I'd better use a "genuine" OEM coil from HD. Guess what, it says MADE IN CHINA on it. Genuine HD stuff..................wow

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
[/QUOTE]
cts1950 said:
The fuel pressure regulator is located in the tank on the Delphi system not on the throttle body as the mm system.
I don't know if you've used it or not, but Thayer makes a fuel rail with regulator that bolts onto the Dedlphi TB so you can just use the MM tank. It seems pretty slick but I haven't tried it yet. I am currently studying everything I can find from you and others who have been through this ordeal. Believe me, I've heard similar stories from others, you're not the only one who has spent a ton on tuners and parts that didn't measure up! I'm trying to learn from everyone else's mistakes before jumping in and making a bunch of my own.

cts1950 said:
The major benifit of the Delphi is it's ability to compensate for minor manifold leaks because it uses a map sensor. It is the same sensor same Delphi part number you find under the seat in the MM system that they use as the barometric sensor. I do not know why that could not be located on the MM manifold even remotely useing a hose and fitting.
I've thought about that as well, but the other component that the MM doesn't have is the IAC motor, and thats (I think) the critical reason for dumping it for the Delphi.

cts1950 said:
With the two wide band o2 sensors the DTT is better than HD 2007 closed loop system which uses narow band o2 sensors. You get to program exactly what fuel air ratio you want at any rpm and throttle position and it will adjust to it if your injectors are capable. Wide band sensors can measure from 10 to one up to 20 to one ratios.
Yeah, I've pretty much decided that the DTT/WEGO is the way to go. The next step for me is deciding how to get there for as little green as possible.

cts1950 said:
I hope the head quarters is not a repackaged Terrys unit their price would suggest it. The Terrys unit comes with one narrow band o2 sensor and trys to tune to 14.7 and it has a limited range that it can adjust to. I tried to do it the least expensive way first which cost alot more
I've tried and tried to find real info on the HQ tuner and I suspect that it IS a re-labeled tuner of another name. That's not based on any facts at all, just a gut feeling. I mean, their website implies that they don't actually have these out yet or, they are at best, brand new to the market.....but they are launching like five models at once (?) If they were engineering a tuner on their own, I would think they would put all their resources into building/testing/perfecting the big seller (the Delphi unit) and after getting some miles on that, then maybe branch out to the lesser systems. It just seems a little hokey to me. But I'd love to hear from anyone who has a HeadQuarters tuner!

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The thing I like about the twin tec is that it has done every thing as advertised It has features I havent began to take advantage of. the folks in florda have been quite helpful concidering I did not buy it from thm directly. I just checked the website I bought my twin tec from (http://www.chromeandleatherplus.com/store/product.php?productid=25013&cat=1177&page=1) they sell the twin tec through their kurykan distributer. 625.46 looks like the same one I got. I will be removing my delfi throttle body in the next few months I will be doing a 103 upgrade with a stroker crank The stock delfi unit is not big enough to feed a 103. I already have a SE large bore throttle body in a box for this upgrade. l used the HD 75126-02 pump sender and filter assembly to get the regulator in the tank about 250.00 on line. I tried to keep it as close to a stock harley so I could get parts any where. I have used a harley dealers web site to do most of my research the one I like because he has a on line parts catalog just inter a number and you see the price you can check superceeded parts etc. (http://www.surdyke.com/hd/advsearch.asp). The most valueable update tool is get a parts manual from hd mine is a 2002 and the service manual for your model and again for at least a 2002. The wireing diagrams are very helpful and necessary to do a sucessful conversion. My curent configuration on my 1999 ultra is 95 cid flat top pistons ported heads compression releases woods tw6 cams delfi throttle body twin tec ecm with wego II 2.6 kw starter stock headers with crossover releaved and S&S oval mufflers. Nothing fancy but a solid 78 hp and 92 ft pounds torque just enough to lift the front wheel on a 1st to second shift.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
The thing I like about the twin tec is that it has done every thing as advertised It has features I havent began to take advantage of. the folks in florda have been quite helpful concidering I did not buy it from thm directly. I just checked the website I bought my twin tec from (http://www.chromeandleatherplus.com/store/product.php?productid=25013&cat=1177&page=1) they sell the twin tec through their kurykan distributer. 625.46 looks like the same one I got. I will be removing my delfi throttle body in the next few months I will be doing a 103 upgrade with a stroker crank The stock delfi unit is not big enough to feed a 103. I already have a SE large bore throttle body in a box for this upgrade. l used the HD 75126-02 pump sender and filter assembly to get the regulator in the tank about 250.00 on line. I tried to keep it as close to a stock harley so I could get parts any where. I have used a harley dealers web site to do most of my research the one I like because he has a on line parts catalog just inter a number and you see the price you can check superceeded parts etc. (http://www.surdyke.com/hd/advsearch.asp). The most valueable update tool is get a parts manual from hd mine is a 2002 and the service manual for your model and again for at least a 2002. The wireing diagrams are very helpful and necessary to do a sucessful conversion. My curent configuration on my 1999 ultra is 95 cid flat top pistons ported heads compression releases woods tw6 cams delfi throttle body twin tec ecm with wego II 2.6 kw starter stock headers with crossover releaved and S&S oval mufflers. Nothing fancy but a solid 78 hp and 92 ft pounds torque just enough to lift the front wheel on a 1st to second shift.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts