V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently was approached with a hellofadeal. But anyway I was wondering if it is damaging to not rejet a carb after a free flow exhast is installed.

I am looking at buying a used wideglide. He installed cycle shack slipons but never rejetted the carb. Is there any potential damage in this bike having been run this way? It's only got about 1700 miles, most of them have been run with this setup.

If I purchase the bike the first thing I would do is a rejet, but I am slighly worried that this may have damaged the engine in someway...

thx

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I seriously doubt that anything was hurt in only 1700 miles. Pull the plugs and see if they look blistered. Free flowing air cleaner has much more effect than free flowing mufflers. Sometimes you can also pull exhaust headers off and see what the exhaust ports look like.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Most engines run lean out of the factory, freeing up the flow will only make that worst. Worst case scenario, you will burn a hole in a piston.

At best it is going to run a bit warmer, power and efficiancy will be lost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had Cycle Shack slipons on my 99 FXDL and also presently have a set on my 02 FLSTF which is also carbed. Neither one required rejetting. Plugs are proper color and no signs of excessive heat. Bear in mind that both of these bikes also had standard OEM air filtering equipment.

BIG DOG

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Nothing should be wrong unless a free flow air cleaner was also installed along with the exhaust causing an excessively lean condition. I wouldn't sweat it but if you do buy it upgrade the aircleaner and rejet to gain around 7 to 10 ponies and improve drivability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts