V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any experience with the Edelbrock Carb. Seems everyone's running a S&S. Just looking for some feedback. Cheers.

·
old timer
516 Posts
Another gimmick carb. Over the years I have seen (and used) so many carbs that I can't count them all.

S&S are fuel hogs, CVs work ideally and Mikuni HSR's are probably the best out there...why would you try anything else???

Don't get caught up in a marketing game...go look at what everyone else is running....they can't all be wrong.

manny

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good # of rides I see in mags and on the street all run S&S. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 44mm S.E CV. (instead of just doing a jet change). some Drag Racers I know say its best to get a larger carb than to do a jet change for free flowing pipes. I'm trying to pick some riders about their experiences with certain carburators. Thanks a million for the reply.

·
old timer
516 Posts
The S.E. CV is a good choice but unless you have cammed the motor and upped the compression I think you are wasting money. THe stock CV with the kit is more than ample for the stock engine...why increase the size of the carb unless it is necessary.

When I was younger everyone would put big carbs on their cars and they all wasted fuel and money. Without a bunch of mods that kitted CV is a proven winner. Fuel mileage counts...that is if you ride any distance. I have a big horse engine and I run the Mikuni but I suffered loss of fuel mileage to get the hordepower up.

Don't get caught trying to increase performance by adding more fuel....late models run best just a bit on the lean side and adding fuel isn't going to give you much of a boost, if any.

manny

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, I have a ton of experience with hot rods and late model FI ford small block. New to the V twin. I'm trying to see what runs best on these motors I have a new 2-1 RB racing pipe and the tech's there suggested that I up the carb size rather than just up-jet the stock CV. I might even weld in a O2 sensor bung and check out the gasses myself and take all the guess work out of it. It's a 1 3/4 2-1 pipe. the dealer down here knows absolutely nothing and i've seen the so-called mechanics putting all sorts of mismatched goodies on people's rides. I'm just learning.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The only O2 sensor that is of any use tuning is a 5 wire sensor with the proper control electronics.
The 1 and 3 wire sensors with a voltmeter packaged for this purpose are toys that will throw you for a loop.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
And the Edelbrock carb is a piece of dogshit. Among other things the needle binds in its jet and pulls thru the slide leaving you stranded. No one but the factory has any parts. If you want one I know a couple guys that will gladly give them to you. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts