V-Twin Forum banner

ebay scam or not?

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  gunnut 
#1 ·
I bid 570.00 bucks on this tin set http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4590448674&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT It goes for 900.00 which is still a good price. Then I get an email outside of ebay offering a second chance buy for 570.00. I ask why it didn't come from ebay and got this reply.

Hi there
My item is still available for sale, at your last bid amount(570$). The highest bidder failed to complete because some unexpected financial problems. Will work thru ebay. To start the official transaction in a very protected way, please reply with your name, and your shipping address, so I could contact ebay to setup a granted and protected transaction. As soon as I receive your info, I'll start the official procedure, and ebay will notify you about this. You'll receive important guidelines and instructions from them.
I need:
first name:
last name:
your address(shipping address):
city:
zip:
Looking forward to your reply.
Thank you.

I think i'm being scammed!

Anyone live close to shelby township, MI? The paint looks great but I know these go for much more.:hmmm:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would contact e-bay and let them know. You were also out bid by two other bidders besides the winner. Sounds a little fishy to me.
You can also send a PM to the guy who offered the tins and see if he actually sent the e-mail without sending any info.

#3 ·
Just called the number listed... Bill is legit. Someone is trying to scam me. Gonna turn em in.

#4 ·
amidaeus said:
Anyone live close to shelby township, MI? The paint looks great but I know these go for much more.:hmmm:

Shelby Twp starts across the street from me, here in Rochester.

BTW, 2nd chance offers get processed within ebay, so you wouldn't have had to email your information directly to the seller.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like the seller may be pulling a fast one. Perhaps he will burn (The on line auction house-FOOEY) out of a commission.

I have purchased stuff from (an on line auction house-FOOEY) and had no problems when the sellers plays by the rules.

I smell a rodent

This Post self edited by POPSTER to comply with applicable VTF rules, Thank you

#8 ·
Amidaeus said:
Just called the number listed... Bill is legit. Someone is trying to scam me. Gonna turn em in.
Good call. Any time you get communications outside the system on an eBay deal it's very likely to be a scam. Guy was just after your name and address for an identity theft IMHO. A Phishing trip.

P 0 P E Y E said:
This Post self edited by POPSTER to comply with applicable VTF rules, Thank you
Screw the Rules. We don' Need No Fukking Rools Har Har Har :D :D :D

#13 ·
There was a phone number on the auction. I called it and the guy said he sold it to the highest bidder and did not do a second chance. Even though he has 0 feedback he seems legit. From the pics it looks like he does some sweet work, great for 900.00.

#14 ·
amidaeus said:
There was a phone number on the auction. I called it and the guy said he sold it to the highest bidder and did not do a second chance. Even though he has 0 feedback he seems legit. From the pics it looks like he does some sweet work, great for 900.00.
Could have been anybody watching the auction and saw you did not win, but was willing to pay 570.00 dollars. It would be interesting to see if the two that bid higher then you got the same offer. You were smart to be aware of this. Thanks for posting it may save someone from getting burnt.

#15 ·
The person scamming you and sending you the email was not the person who was auctioning off the tins. (I should have clarified that in my earlier post) So don't report the auctioneer to ebay. There is a link somewhere on ebay's site to forward "phishing" or scam emails to them. They can trace the email down to the liable party and deal with them appropriately.

#16 ·
I followed ebay instructions and forwarded the emails to the appropriate address. It was not the auctioneer's email, I asked him when I called.

#17 ·
2nd chance offers are normally legit, i have gotten them and bought and never been burnt......yet. but again it was nothing more than a few dollar items so it wasn't a big deal. not a high dollar paint set.

#18 ·
I received the same email yesterday on a Matco tool chest I had bid on and didn't win. I sent the guy the address of the local Police substation.
The sender told me he would set up the deal through Ebay and the money would be delivered to him in the UK where he is because of a family emergency and that his wife would ship the chest to me. I asked for his wife's number so that I could arrange pick up. Never heard from him again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.