V-Twin Forum banner

Easy pull clutch kit

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  casement 
#1 ·
After a recent mounain ride my hand was sore from the clutch work. The easy pull clutch kit should be the answer. I do routine maintenance but wondered how difficult this would be and if it required pulling the entire primary cover or just the derby cover. I would think the primary. This kit is standard on 06 models and I'm told some guys dont want to admit but it is a lot nicer clutch. Are there any links to do this install or are the HD instructions simple to follow. Would this kit effect clutch life. By the way I keep the cable oiled.

Quickster

#3 ·
@gree: What he said...I've installed a couple of those kits (Jireh Cycles part # 96-560, $7.95) and they work great. Just have to remove the trans side cover to install, bolt the new cable arm to the original and install the spacer where the cable housing threads into the side cover, button everything up, readjust the clutch and you're done.

#4 ·
#6 ·
You can always throw extra parts at it, but the re-cut ramps give the lighter pull, without adding anything.

#9 ·
GPO03FatBoy said:
Try these HD '06 ramps:
25604-00A-inner
25605-00A-outer

They are the ramps from HD's reduced effort clutch kit. They work fine without the lighter spring and are an easy install. Here's the rest of one link, if you are interested: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74424&highlight=reduced+effort+ramps
I did the same thing, just replaced the ramps and not the spring (I bought the kit). Clutch definitely easier, but not "quite" as easy as the 06s (mine is 05). Would rate it as half way between what it was, and the 06.

Will not affect life of your cable in any way.

#10 ·
Mac4020 said:
@gree: What he said...I've installed a couple of those kits (Jireh Cycles part # 96-560, $7.95) and they work great. Just have to remove the trans side cover to install, bolt the new cable arm to the original and install the spacer where the cable housing threads into the side cover, button everything up, readjust the clutch and you're done.
Mac,

Looking at the kit you listed, I was wondering if it will work on a FLH as well. It is the same P/N for all of the bikes and it lists "Big Twin 87-up except FXR & Sportster 86-90". :confused:

I admit my ignorance on how it goes in and what's diffrent between the Softails and FLH's. I'd like to pick up one for the wife's bike and mine but want to make sure it'll work.

I was also guessing I'd have to drop the exhaust to install- right?

Thanks in advance for the info! :thanks:

Allen

#11 ·
The kit should work on an FLH with no problems. The parts install inside the trans side cover and they all use the same cover. You probably will need to remove the exhaust to get at the cover bolts easier. You'll also need a pair of snap-ring pliers (the cheap $5 auto parts store type will work) in order to pull the ramp out. When you first look at it, it seems like it should be complicated but you'll be surprised how quick and easy it goes together. If you run into any trouble with it there are plenty of people here who have installed them that can help.

If you order them from Jireh, do it by phone rather that online so you'll know if they have them in stock. Their prices on parts like these are so low that people buy them out and resell on ebay for 3 times the cost.

#12 · (Edited)
Baker throwout bearing dimensions.

Extreme Thread Necromancy warning, but this thread is the best fit rather than making a fresh post.

I was curious so per GPO03FatBoys post I Ebayed these ramps:

25604-00A-inner
25605-00A-outer

I then picked up a Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing Kit as the stock bearing is feculent, and measured the spotface with digital calipers.

If you spotface your reduced effort ramp .985" diameter x .100" deep it will fit the Baker bearing assembly. I'll be doing that next week so I snapped a pic tonight for comparison. Same amount of meat so no worry about weakening the part.

Per Baker literature their kit includes the early style ball ramps, so this mod will get you Baker bearing goodness with lower clutch effort.

I've not seen the back of a Muller ramp to measure, but if it's not already faced to take a larger bearing you could do the same thing or have it done easily at a local machine shop.

The machined washers in the Baker kit as well as the HD kit are what centers the pushrod, so someone wanting an even larger bearing need only make suitable washers then spotface their ramp of choice to suit.

Attachments

#13 ·
I wonder if it would do any good sanding and polishing the surfaces?? Probably not enough to make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.