V-Twin Forum banner

Easy clutch installation

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jockeyshift 
#1 ·
I installed the HD Easy Clutch. I believe I followed directions and manuel exactly. I did not loosen the primary chain (don't think you have to). The problem I am having: when I shift into gear, goes in fine, when I pull the clutch in while the bike is in any gear the bike does not roll. It is cold out. Not sure if this matters. I attempted to re-seat the adjuster screw into the clutch assembly again and only back it out 1/2 turn. Same thing. Any help as to why the clutch is still dragging. Thanks.

#2 ·
Kluz said:
I installed the HD Easy Clutch. I believe I followed directions and manuel exactly. I did not loosen the primary chain (don't think you have to). The problem I am having: when I shift into gear, goes in fine, when I pull the clutch in while the bike is in any gear the bike does not roll. It is cold out. Not sure if this matters. I attempted to re-seat the adjuster screw into the clutch assembly again and only back it out 1/2 turn. Same thing. Any help as to why the clutch is still dragging. Thanks.
If you can start the bike and put it in gear and hold the clutch in without having the bike try to creep forward you have it right. You should feel resistance if you are trying to push the bike when it is not running,in gear, and clutch in. By the way, 1/2 turn out on the throwout bearing seems a bit much, what does your service manual call for?......Bill

#3 ·
Kluz said:
If you mean you are trying to push the bike and it won't move with the clutch disengaged, that may be normal. That oil is pretty thick and cold weather makes it even thicker. My ('02 Road KIng) is hard to push but I can with effort. I usually put it in Neutral to push it. That makes it much easier.

1/2" backout seems right. That is what I did for mine. I used a Clymer Maintenance manual for reference. It said to back out 1/2 to 1" counter- clockwise after the set screw just touches. The bike does not move when idling in any gear with the clutch disengaged nor does it try try to move until the clutch lever is about 3/4 ways out.

#8 ·
I installed a Lite Shift by Burley which basically changes the leverage inside of the housing. It went in fine but I did have to grind some metal from the bracket to allow the pivot to swivel. The clutch is so much easier to pull now.

#9 ·
Kluz said:
...when I pull the clutch in while the bike is in any gear the bike does not roll. ...
Sounds like you found your problem was with it being cold. Another thing that will cause this problem, is having a bit to much fluid in the primary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.