V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to look for the best earplugs I can get but it seems like the thread about it was made 6 years ago. There may be new tech for hearing protection so let's start this one.

What earplugs/hearing protection do you use?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems like no one's interested at the moment but I saw this and I'd like to know what you can say about this product, It's from a manufacturer called Big Ear.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Years ago a company was offering 3 different sizes of ear plugs.. No, I can't remember who but I was surprised that the small ones fit me, NOT the larger ones....
Another time a person gave me a throwaway pair ( had forgotten mine) they had purchased at a Mill supply house.. They were like a "wasp" body as they had the part that inserted in your ear and then a long piece that went out to be used for taking them out....I really liked them..
I always have some packets of the foam "squeezy" type in all of my coats and bike bag just in case, as they are surely better than nothing..
In my research it is the wind noise that does the damage to your ear... Even a lowered window in a car can cause damage....

·
Registered
121 Posts
You could always go with Radianz, which are custom molded to fit your ears, and can be molded to work with your ear buds, too, at the same time, plus they're only $10!

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I use the earplugs that I get at the lumberyard. Soft foam. I roll them tight between my fingers and set them in my ear, wait for them to expand and they are comfortable and work just fine. Plus their inexpensive for a pack of 10 or twelve..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm trying to look for the best earplugs I can get but it seems like the thread about it was made 6 years ago. There may be new tech for hearing protection so let's start this one.

What earplugs/hearing protection do you use?

Thanks in advance!
Great to see other people talk about this. I've already lost a bit of my hearing in my right ear. It started when I ruptured my eardrum while watching a metal show in 2013. This just proves that noise induced hearing loss is for real. My bike is also a bit noisy and that's why I'm using earplugs now to take care of what's left of my hearing. I was stoked when you posted about Big Ear. I have one of their cheaper earplugs like this one. Anyway, it's better to wear these than wear nothing at all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ear plugs???? Why?
An additional benefit is that ear plugs prevent bugs, bees or yellow jackets from getting into your ear if they happen to get into your helmet (if you wear one). It can be quite painful or aggravating to have a little creature crawling around in your helmet and get into your ear before you can stop, pull your helmet of and get them out. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wore foam ones for a while, tried the ear peace ones but at that point my hearing was really going. Lifetime of guns, explosives, loud bikes, cars, power tools, chain saws, loud music and worked in a loud factory environment for 8 years in my 20s. Never wore any kind of hearing protectors.

My hearing loss started in my mid 40s along with tinnitus(ringing in my ears) that almost drove me nuts the first 6 months or so. Tried aids in my early 50s but just wasn't ready for the hassle. Yea probably vanity. I'm 61 now and my hearing loss is pretty advanced. I've been wearing hearing aids for almost 2 years now. I should wear protection on the bike but I like listening to music on long rides. My aids are bluetooth to my phone so i can use them to listen to music and mute the mics to outside sounds. Best and most expensive earbuds I've evern had. haha...probably not the best thing for my hearing.

All that being said, protect your hearing. Once it's gone it never comes back. I certainly wish I had when I was younger.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts