V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a early 84 fxr..I have a 85 style outer primary cover with the inspection cover and drain plug.. Will this fit my 84??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually had this all on the bike and it bolted up but just touched the derby cover with cluch pulled in.. Only problem was clutch hub bearing was shot and let everything wobble do I'm not sure if it actusally would have worked... Anyone ever try this???

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
never tried it, but if you get that far would like to know about the interchange. I may have a used one for the E84 if you need let me know. It is scraped at the end of the derby.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my origional E84 cover that there is nothing wrong with i just wanted to put the other cover on it cuz its chrome... this cover is for 85 style.. I have had it on and actually worked at the time except the clutch hub happened to be bad at the same time and am not sure with a new hub bearing if it would in fact work.. it took the bearing out of the derby cover but im not sure if that was from it not lining up properly or if it was from the starter chaging angle becuase of the bad clutch hub bearing. I just dont want to have a new bearing put into the outer primary cover if it isnt going to work... it also just rubbed the derby cover but i think that was due to the bad hub bearing also... i know the late 84 and newer has a diff. clutch assembly and the older clutch seems to be really close to the outer cover and not even close to being centered with the derby cover off with newer outer primary cover.. i was just seeing if anyone has actually done this before, or if a older cover for a shovelhead 4speed with work if i got the inspection cover also....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thats the reason for staying with the right parts, so you dont spend to find out it wont work. I gotta guess that you got that primary cheap, or free. You need to follow through to figure it out, or go the sure route, get the right one. which you might need to do if the 85 cover doesnt work. Vtwin MFG has the cover you need in the Classic section of their catalog. Let us know how it works out. good luck

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have #60605-79 as the outer primary cover. same for early or late.
inner primary is early#60657-84, and late #60662-84
I am getting that from parts catalog # 99439-86a
covers all FXR 84-86

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
There are a lot of little differences in 84-86 FXR primaries. They went from the old FL dry clutch to the wet NOVA clutch, and they switched from chain drives to belt drives. At the same time they also were evolving the primary bearing. The main shaft on the tranny changed a few times too.

Early 84 inner 60657-84

Late 84 inner 60662-84

All 84 outer 60605-79B (So the switching to the nova clutch did not change the outer.)

85 inner 60662-85A

86 inner 60662-86A

85-86 outer 60664-85B Some books show a 60605-85 which is a bare cover.

To my knowledge, the changes were mostly due to the belt drive and the problems it caused with the case and tranny bearings. And AFAIK the transmission housing also had 4 part numbers to cover 84 to 86.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts