V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in the title I have an early 84 FXRS and I need to know if I am correct in assuming the lower end of my fxrs is really a 1983 fxrs shovel head bottom with the EVO engine. I have a dry clutch. The reason is ordering parts I need to get the correct ones and most vendors like Dennis Kirk for example show my bike as a low ride with a belt drive when I have a chain drive. Any help would be appreciated. Just as an aside I wrote Harley Davidson but they never answered my letter.
Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Plant Wheel

·
Registered
923 Posts
Don't go by catalogs as a reference. Get or download factory parts catalogs for your and subsequent years then search by part number instead. That method is good for finding factory parts on Ebay and elsewhere. Also get the factory service manual (no substitutions).

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
From Extensive research.. No Shovelhead engines, on any 5 speed 1984 on..
The VIN designator for early 1984, with a 4 or 5 speed... indicates the old style Clutch
Superior clutch IMO as well as Terry above..
Don't go by catalogs as a reference. Get or download factory parts catalogs for your and subsequent years then search by part number instead. That method is good for finding factory parts on Ebay and elsewhere. Also get the factory service manual (no substitutions).
Agree... But... The Question is concerning early vs late 1984 models... by VIN
Your VIN and the manuals, as stated, will get everything one needs.. Once it is understood what "early" and "late" designates...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The title for my FXRS says 1983, but I have an Evo. People tell me that Harley didn't make the Evo until 1984, so I assume that Harley actually started making the Evo models in 1983 and even sold them before the end of the year. I have chain drive. My authentic Harley "Service Manual FLT/FXR Models 1340 V2 5-Speed 1984" specifies and has illustrations of a chain drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The title for my FXRS says 1983, but I have an Evo. People tell me that Harley didn't make the Evo until 1984, so I assume that Harley actually started making the Evo models in 1983 and even sold them before the end of the year. I have chain drive. My authentic Harley "Service Manual FLT/FXR Models 1340 V2 5-Speed 1984" specifies and has illustrations of a chain drive.
By the way, my chain has 110 links. Be careful to buy the right one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hummmmmm ... ???
Late 1984 & ALL 1985 FXR's with a 5-SPEED Transmission are EVO (from my limited research) ... with a tapered shaft & keyway
and EARLY 1984 FXR would be a SHOVEL engine ? right ?
my 1985 FXRP was the 1st FULL year of production FXR with the 1340 EVO engine
I'm not well versed on where in the VIN number the "EARLY" / "LATE" split was in 1984 ...
but
EARLY 1984 was surely a SHOVEL-HEAD unless someone ( previous owner) did a SWAP ?

COOP

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
248 Posts
I never heard of an '84 Shovelhead FXR, just 82 and 83. Normal '84 FXs (4-speed) came with shovel heads, though.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I never heard of an '84 Shovelhead FXR, just 82 and 83. Normal '84 FXs (4-speed) came with shovel heads, though.
Once again... 1982 and 1983 5 speed Harleys were Shovels.. any post '93... as in 1984 up were all Evo's long as they are 5 speeds...4 speed... No .... 1984 4-speeds are all Shovels.. so far in my research.. While there were some contract 1985 FLH's that had Shovels.. even the 1985 FXWG and FXEF, 4-speed's had Evos..
@evosteveo , sure would Love to know the first 10 digits of yer VIN... The frame VIN..
@WiSeNhEiMeR -1369 , The early" vs "late" digit in the VIN for 1984, has always decoded to Shovel Clutch Early, and Diaphragm clutch Late
No Shovel 5-speed's in 1984... None.. that I have found that the VIN identifies as such.. If someone has one... please Share the VIN... So 1984 was in fact the First Full Production year of the Evo FXR... Until some one Produces a VIN 1HD1E(anything)K(anything, anything) then an E....
At risk of being redundant... my 1983 sports an Evo mill (1993 in fact) but the VIN, clearly states Shovel and late...
1HD1EBK2XDYXXXX is how it left the Factory!!!
The VIN cannot Lie, nor be Mistaken!!!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Wondering ... does your Engine Numbers Match your frame VIN???
Harley did replace engines that were under warranty...and the Factory May have substituted an EVO for the Shovel... Maybe... Or?? Your VIN is Actually a 1984?? and the DMV is the Culprit Here??

·
Super Moderator
21,645 Posts
And you checked the numbers? And they matched?

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
917 Posts
Curious... is it a kicker too? My brother had an early EVO and it had one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts