V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question (maybe safety tips or off topic is better), but anybody else use earplugs? If so, who makes the best, or do the cheap ones work just as well as the big-bucks issue.

I know i might take some grief from you hard core bikers, but the ringing in my ears was making me crazy - the 60's concerts didn't help, but the wind noise really aggravates it. I'm getting tired of sayin' Huh? Pardon me? What'd you say?

Anybody else got the same problem?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I use earplugs on long trips (to work and so on). I like the soft foam style that you compress between your fingers and let it expand in your ear canal. I believe they're the most comfortable and do a decent job of keeping the decibels low. I also like them becasue you can get them flesh colored so they aren't as noticible. I have the same problem with noisy enviroments - not being able to understand a word when everyone else is involved in the conversation.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If you have a ringing in your ears after loud noises, you are causing permanent damage. A small amount of damage but permanent. Over a period of time it will become noticeable. I've lost some of the hearing in my left ear due to chronic ear problem since a child and going a little too deep while scuba diving. Can't even take the pressure of ten feet of water now. Had to give up scuba. To hell with the grief...protect your hearing; you've only got two ears.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I use them for high way or fast speed riding. I have big ass ear holes and they catch the wind. Not dumbo ears just big ear hole. The wind pounding my ear drum is what I use plugs fer. I use the soft ones, any of them will do. Grab a hand full from my shooten club and keep them in my bike leather.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The ones designed for shooting block the most noise. I usually use ones from Walmart for flying. Ear plugs are illegal. The cop would really have to have it in for you to write you up I'd think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I just know that I'll get jacked up for this but... My full face helmet pretty much cancels out any wind noise... I still hear the V-Twin sound real good!!! I have riden in the past without a helmet and no earplugs, got a real good earache once, took about a week to get rid of it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I found the ones that are half a foam ball with a plastic stick, work better there easy to get hold of to take out. And dont hurt in the ear after a few hours of riding. And they stay cleaner too , since your not always rolling them in your fingeres to put them in. There's a lot of good cheap ones out there.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Ear plugs can be "rated" as to the amount of noise they will surpress. Kinda like sunscreen, the higher the number the more protection from noise.

Huckelberry1 had a pair of "custom" earplugs manufactured while at a run. They poured wax into her ear, made a mold and let it set up. The plugs had a "hole" in them permitting in some sound but substantially reducing most noise.

These $40 "custom" plugs worked very well. However, inexpensive "throw-aways", if properly used, may be a better deal in the long run. Lisa took off her plugs at a stop and forgot to put them back in before we left. Pooh! $40 gone somewhere..... If ya' loose the inexpensive foam plugs you don't whine too much.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have 40 -60 db loss in both ears. Cant work the job without hearing aids. For me I like just enough reduction to keep the wind nose down. Cotton balls offer about 5 db depression just enough to keep noise down .

·
Banned
999 Posts
OldMiC said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question (maybe safety tips or off topic is better), but anybody else use earplugs? but the ringing in my ears was making me crazy - I'm getting tired of sayin' Huh? Pardon me? What'd you say?

Anybody else got the same problem?
24 years of working around Diesel Engines has conspired to make me very sound resistant.

remember when I first started working around em and they were noisy, now they make em quieter!

I wear ear plugs, now that its too late.

my ears ring all the time, cant hear people half the time.

O.L says I should get my hearing checked, I always say "dont need to, I know its fucked up".

I need a hearing aid,only 42 years old.

Pretty good, huh? Anybody out there that listens a little bit,wear some hearing protection. end of story.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you can have custome ones made by a doctor or some on that has the kit. a person at my shooting club had the kit took about 5 mins. the doctors make them for kids that have had tubes put in their ears and they can't get water in them. I see more and more riders using them.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
dont know what you are riding but i dont ride without a windshield. i love mine and it cancels out about 95% of wind noise. i test rode a deuce and a vrod with my half helmet and whoa i couldnt beleive the ringing in my ears. i then tried them with a 3/4 helmet and that worked good also.

G

·
Watch out for using cotton balls. Little shreds of cotton stay behind when you pull 'em out, mix with the ear wax and make a very effective cement that the doc has to dig out with little tools under a microscope. BTW, wax is SUPPOSED to be in your ear canal, the wax coating is a protective film against dirt and germs.

You can wash and re-use the cheapie foam ear plugs. Just put them in a pocket of something going through the cold or warm (not hot, they shrivel up...) cycle of the washing machine. Try to remember to take them out before they go in the dryer and just let them air-dry. If you forget, it's usually no problem, though sometimes they shrivel.

17 years of working with ENT docs and this is all I learned ... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ridin' a '99 FLSTC now. My last bike was a bagger, and once I rode with a windshield, I don't think I could change. I never take the windshield off the Softail either, but without some kinda earplugs - I just suffer like a dog - the ringing drives me nuts.

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm still poking around web sites to see what's available. In the meantime I've been using the disposable kind (found them at Walgreens), but they pop loose pretty often, then I gotta wait for the next stop, twist and squeeze em and try again.

Anyway, if I find something worth mentioning, I'll post the name.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I work around loud machines all day. I have already suffered some hearing loss and I wear ear plugs now to keep it from getting and worse. We just use the cheap foam ones. They work well and you can use them over and over. Other than forgeting to take them out I haven't worn them when I ride. On a bike without a wind shield I could see how they would help get rid of some of the wind noise.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
otterbob said:
dont know what you are riding but i dont ride without a windshield. i love mine and it cancels out about 95% of wind noise.
What?s the point in riding a bike??? Just get a convertible. The wind, the smells, the feel. I'm sneaking out fer a ride in ten mins, its 40 and the rods are like a beach wit all the fuken sand and I still don't want a windshield. Just my view.:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Boismier said:

You can wash and re-use the cheapie foam ear plugs. Just put them in a pocket of something going through the cold or warm (not hot, they shrivel up...) cycle of the washing machine. Try to remember to take them out before they go in the dryer and just let them air-dry. If you forget, it's usually no problem, though sometimes they shrivel.

Now I'm confused. I thought it was the cold water that caused shriveling.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Can't wear ear plugs.
I wouldn't hear the music coming from the Koss headphones that I have installed in my full face helmet and that I connect to my walkman sized PJBox in which I can burn about 350 CDs with amazing playback quality.
And off course the Big Twin Rumble is in the background.

Rock on!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts