V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 evo eng....did start even faster and seem to give a smoother ride and cheaper than irridiums...but not sure how long they will last like irridiums. any others peoples try em?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I see you posted 1 year ago. Nobody added anything to the thread. Any chance you can give an update? How have the spark plugs worked out after 1 year?

cheaper than irridiums...
Pricing and availability varies. Over the years, I bought sets of E3 spark plugs for my cars, and they were $0.97 each. Then I got Autolite Iridium @ $9 for a pack of 4, and Autolite had a rebate for $3 per plug. Which means Autolite paid me $12 to use the $9 plugs.

On my pickup truck, I noticed nothing. No gains in power. No gains in mileage per gallon. But the good part is that I noticed nothing. No decrease in driveability. No misfires. For my Ford, which every Ford truck forum post says to only use Motorcraft, it works just fine. You also hear that about Harleys; to only use OEM Harley parts for service and maintenance. I've never done that with any car. I would be crazy to pay Honda $14 for a $3 oil filter, or only use Honda fluids at a very high mark-up. The dealership sells a fuel system service for $XXX, and all the tech does is pour a bottle of Techron into the gas tank.

As for motorcycle spark plugs....... today's price on Amazon for NGK 6046 DCPR7EIX is $11.39 for 2 spark plugs. E3.36 are $6.31 each. Up from when I bought them for $4.72. But pricing goes up and down on Amazon for no real reason.

any others peoples try em?
Being lazy, I'll probably have the spark plugs installed by next year around this time. I don't see a lot people across the internet forums using them and posting about them. A handful of people who say they had problems. No big deal. E3 must sell millions of spark plugs to be in business and stay in business. So if 5 or 6 forum threads, all old threads, reported a problem, that's nothing. I don't see any new threads reporting anything bad, or good. And E3 offers something like 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty. Bullshit if your engine is messed up, and they send you a free spark plug to replace the spark plug which fucked up your engine.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I see you posted 1 year ago. Nobody added anything to the thread. Any chance you can give an update? How have the spark plugs worked out after 1 year?

Pricing and availability varies. Over the years, I bought sets of E3 spark plugs for my cars, and they were $0.97 each. Then I got Autolite Iridium @ $9 for a pack of 4, and Autolite had a rebate for $3 per plug. Which means Autolite paid me $12 to use the $9 plugs.

On my pickup truck, I noticed nothing. No gains in power. No gains in mileage per gallon. But the good part is that I noticed nothing. No decrease in driveability. No misfires. For my Ford, which every Ford truck forum post says to only use Motorcraft, it works just fine. You also hear that about Harleys; to only use OEM Harley parts for service and maintenance. I've never done that with any car. I would be crazy to pay Honda $14 for a $3 oil filter, or only use Honda fluids at a very high mark-up. The dealership sells a fuel system service for $XXX, and all the tech does is pour a bottle of Techron into the gas tank.

As for motorcycle spark plugs....... today's price on Amazon for NGK 6046 DCPR7EIX is $11.39 for 2 spark plugs. E3.36 are $6.31 each. Up from when I bought them for $4.72. But pricing goes up and down on Amazon for no real reason.

Being lazy, I'll probably have the spark plugs installed by next year around this time. I don't see a lot people across the internet forums using them and posting about them. A handful of people who say they had problems. No big deal. E3 must sell millions of spark plugs to be in business and stay in business. So if 5 or 6 forum threads, all old threads, reported a problem, that's nothing. I don't see any new threads reporting anything bad, or good. And E3 offers something like 5 year or 100,000 mile warranty. Bullshit if your engine is messed up, and they send you a free spark plug to replace the spark plug which fucked up your engine.
Hit the quote button when you want to get someone's attention or pm them otherwise they might never see your post. I use to do the same thing, but after a couple years on this forum Alan S showed me the light.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'll just add I tried the E3's in the EVO and I swear I felt an improvement in performance. Could have been actual, could have just been fresher plugs than what were in it at the time. However I won't use them in the EFI Twinkie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I swear I felt an improvement in performance. Could have been actual, could have just been fresher plugs than what were in it at the time.

Because they were lower in cost, less than $5 a spark plug, I ordered a set.

I don't make my money as a mechanic. I'm just a guy with some tools from Harbor Freight, who is too cheap to pay a shop to do the work. So oftentimes, I screw things up really bad, and learn from those mistakes. I have zero Harley knowledge, which is why I look at online forums. You can all learn from me, and not **** up what I break on my bike, trying to save parts and labor at the dealership.

When I pulled the old plugs, I found that on 1 of the spark plugs, the ground strap was so close to the electrode, that I couldn't even fit my gap gauge. The other plug was just a bit outside. I learned when I was a kid that you never pull a plug, clean it, re-gap it, and reinstall it. For a lot less effort, you can put in a new plug, and be drinking a beer.

With any luck, years will go by, and everything will be fine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I run e3’s in my 10.5:1 evo and to me, I honestly didnt notice a difference. Even with fat wires. I know this much though, they aren’t any worse. Run them in my daily vehicle as well.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Because they were lower in cost, less than $5 a spark plug, I ordered a set.

I don't make my money as a mechanic. I'm just a guy with some tools from Harbor Freight, who is too cheap to pay a shop to do the work. So oftentimes, I screw things up really bad, and learn from those mistakes. I have zero Harley knowledge, which is why I look at online forums. You can all learn from me, and not **** up what I break on my bike, trying to save parts and labor at the dealership.

When I pulled the old plugs, I found that on 1 of the spark plugs, the ground strap was so close to the electrode, that I couldn't even fit my gap gauge. The other plug was just a bit outside. I learned when I was a kid that you never pull a plug, clean it, re-gap it, and reinstall it. For a lot less effort, you can put in a new plug, and be drinking a beer.

View attachment 269652 View attachment 269653
View attachment 269651 View attachment 269654
View attachment 269649 View attachment 269650 View attachment 269656 View attachment 269655

With any luck, years will go by, and everything will be fine.
A lot of guys are doing just what you are. Learning as you go. Good for you. I'm surprised that plug even make a spark though. I've got a Compressed Air Spark Plug Cleaner. So you know I've been doing it for a while. That's old school! But you're right on some things a new plug is best. In fact I adjusted my primary chain today and since I pulled the plugs to rotate the motor, I installed my last set of Champions. I always keep a couple sets around just in case. In fact, my tool roll in my saddlebag has a spare set.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a Compressed Air Spark Plug Cleaner.
As a kid, my dad taught me how to read between the lines when shops offer tune-up jobs. As part of the 10,000, 20,000, or whatever miles service, it says that they inspect, clean, and regap your spark plugs. Dad said, and I agree, that it's a scam. What's the point, other than to run up the shop labor hours and charge you? Then you actually pay a shop, to reinstall old spark plugs. In a car, where they pull 8 spark plugs, they spend another hour (and bill you) on "fixing" the spark plugs; when they could have just put in new spark plugs. Spark plugs which only cost a couple of dollars will do the trick. Most vehicles, unless aggressively tuned, will run on low cost copper plugs. Maybe the copper plugs won't last 100,000 miles like double platinum & iridium plugs. But right off the bat, new copper plugs are better than fouled plugs.

Then dad taught me to change my own spark plugs. He taught me not to waste an hour of my time trying to "service" the spark plug. Just buy good plugs and install them. Don't buy the weird brands at the autoparts store, like "Car & Driver" brand. Stick with OEM, equivalent, or better. Some OEM parts are actually better than you think.....like Ford Motorcraft plugs made by Autolite, and Honda spark plugs made by NGK & Denso.

I always keep a couple sets around just in case. In fact, my tool roll in my saddlebag has a spare set.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the stock Harley Davidson 6R12 spark plug is just a copper spark plug. The NGK DCPR7E copper plug, which is suppose to be the Harley 6R12 cross product, is only $2.89. I am tempted to buy a few, and follow lead. Have a few sets around just in case. At that price, it's hard to resist. It's like how I have extra oil and filters, which I buy whenever it's sale, or has a rebate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this much though, they aren’t any worse. Run them in my daily vehicle as well.

A lot of shop techs, dealership techs, parts counter guys...... have told me that with my Ford, the engines run best with the exact spark plug it came with. Ford Motorcraft Platinum. Fords are suppose to be funny that way. Even if you spend more, buy some higher priced iridium plugs, or spark plugs from some fancy racing brand like MSD......the engine may run worse. And don't try to save money by buying a cheaper plug either.

I've heard the same about Harley Davidson. The engine is designed to work best with what the factory installed. If Harley thought that their engines needed a fancy spark plug, they would have built the bike with the fancy plug.

In my years of owning cars, I've yet to follow the "OEM only" rule. I'm currently running the E3 in a 100,000+ F-150 (the 1st 100,000 miles was with the OEM plug). My truck runs fine with the E3 spark plug. No misfires. No decrease in power, performance, or mileage. Of course, I don't believe that just changing a spark plug will give any vehicle more power and better mileage. That only happens when I put stickers on my Honda.

Autolite has a really good rebate. So that's what I ordered for my "soccer mom" minivan. I wonder if the rebate is applicable for the motorcycle spark plug.

I'm hoping for the same exact result with E3 in my motorcycle. No problems. It just needs to start and run, without misfires, or power loss.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Champion makes Harley plugs. The RA8HC is the same as Harley's 6R12. I don't know what the SE Gold plug is. I imagine it's also a Champion because of the contract.
My little sand blaster plug cleaner comes in handy since I'm always working on chainsaws, weedeaters, and lawn tractors. I can't keep a plethora of plugs for everything and don't want to be running to the store just because a plug is fouled. However I agree with some vehicles needing the best plugs possible. For example our Yukon. 100,000 mile iridiums for that. That no 8 plug hole is a PITA!

·
Super Moderator
21,238 Posts
Man I just put Iridium's in my Harleys and forget about them. I have no idea how old the set in my evo is, they were salvaged out of another motor. I had 30k on the set I took out of my Twin Cam this winter. If I wasn't looking to go a step colder on the heat range, I would have put them back in.

A word about those plugs advertised online. Beware of buying them from places like Amazon. Iridium plugs are one of the most often counterfeited parts sold. You can google it and see what to look for on the packaging. But then, they are at your door before you can check them. Buy them from a reputable auto parts suppler. Online you can get about the same price as Amazon sells them for.

As for cleaning plugs, that was a thing back when cars had points. The points wore out before the plugs. You got your car tuned up every fall, so that it would hopefully start through the winter. Points being the most important item. In the 60's it cost about $1 a plug to pull and clean them. Or about $2.50 a plug to replace them. They weren't worn out, unusually just oil fouled. And $10 was serious money back then. A weeks worth of groceries was only about $20. A fill up was about $5.

As for the auto repair bandits, those tune-up signs are a real danger signal. There has been no tune up in an automotive maintenance schedule since about 1975. That repair task died with points. In 1976 the epa required that plugs last 30K miles. So we got copper plugs and gaps so wide that they almost couldn't oil foul. And now plugs have to last 100K miles, so we see Iridium's in everything. The EPA didn't do this to save the car owner money on repair costs. They did it to make catalytic converters last longer.

When I was in high school most shops had plug cleaners. Some had fancy ones that would test the resister in the plug. And anyone who hot rodded back then had a hand held plug cleaner, I still have mine. We changed plugs at the track sometimes. And saving $8 by cleaning the glaze off of them for reuse was important. Shops that work on small aircraft still have plug cleaners.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,219 Posts
Sorry children. Sarcasm didn't translate well, online. It's like answering an ad on Craig's list, with a photo of your genitals.
First, you need to go look up the word "sarcasm" because you're not using it correctly.

Secondly, I've never even looked at Craig's list, probably for the reason you just pointed out, people like you posting there.

Finally, since you seem to need a bit of hand-holding to understand the transaction, let's walk through it slowly:

You stated that if Harley thought their bikes needed fancy spark plugs then they would make them with fancy spark plugs.

Hillcat asked why you would think that, presumably because there are many things on Harleys that people choose to upgrade right out of the gate. This would imply that most people recognize the fact that Harley does not always use top quality or top performing parts on their bikes. There is a multi-billion dollar aftermarket dedicated to selling people the parts that Harley notoriously skimps on from the factory. Even Harley-Davidson themselves have an entire line of products (Screamin' Eagle) that they produce and try to sell customers in an effort to enhance performance (or overcome deficiencies) over the stock condition of the motorcycle. They sell quite a lot of these "upgrades".

Based on all of that, I then pointed out the most obvious and relevant item to the discussion, which was the fact that Harley Davidson does in fact sell a "fancy spark plug" that they think you should buy for your motorcycle, but they don't put them in at the factory.

So, your assumption is entirely flawed regarding the idea that if Harley thought the bike needed something fancy they would put the fancy stuff in it. Wrong! Why would they do that when they can put the basic stuff in and sell you the fancy stuff later, for more money?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts