V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting close to finishing the break-in of my 02 E-Glide Classic, and like just about everything about it. One disappointment is the accuracy of the ambient air temperature gauge. It is usually so far off the mark that it makes me wonder ...

Do I have a defective unit (usually at least 10 deg. high)? Or
Are they all like this?, in which case ...
Why would Harley bother putting it on the bike?

Roger

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sort of like an ashtray on a bike, not of much use but a cheap way to plug a hole.

They are not really that inaccurate, they just show the temperature at the sensors location inside the fairing, which has only passing resemblance to the temperature you feel.

Guess you could always replace it with an oil temp gauge if you are into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hippo, I`d like to replace the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge, if for no other reason, to have something practical in the hole. Problem is, I can`t find one. Have been looking for awhile; guess not in the right places. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
E-glide Air Temp Replacement Parts

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Got the following info from "Cold Rider".

(Changing the stock air guage with an oil temp guage is an easy mod.

Cheapest and best looking oil temp replacement guage is from (of all places) JC Whittney. Here's the part #'s: Guage 12ts6193t Sending unit 12ts6195y. The guage is a direct replacement fit for the stock air temp guage and the sending unit will screw into the casting plug hole next to the oil drain plug (you need to buy the brass reducer locally).

I even pulled the bezels and swapped them out so it's real hard to tell that it isn't a stock HD guage.

Total cost was around $30

Cold Rider)

Hope this helps.

LarJon

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's it.

The only problem you may run into on some of the new bikes is that the gauge may not read correctly. It's the pan you mount the sender into that sometimes does not have a good ground, all you do is remove one of the bolts and clean it up properly and put it back. Worst case make a little pigtail from one of the bolts to a good ground.

·
Registered
684 Posts
LarJon, I tried pulling up the info from their website (jcwhitney) using the part numbers that you listed, but didn't have any luck. Could be that they don't have everything listed online.

Can anyone else view them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Straydog,

Sorry bout that. Forgot to mention they don't show up on the website. You have to call 800-529-4486. I just checked again to be sure they are in stock, was told that they are. Gauge is $16.95, sending unit is $8.95. Stock numbers are correct. Good Luck.

LarJon

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They are electric gauges, but you use the power and ground feed from the original air temp gauge, so all you run is one wire from the sender.

I suppose you could run a capillary tube to a mechanical gauge if you wanted to providing you could get the sender to fit, but it's not a good idea on a bike in particular if the fairing moves with the steering head as it would fatigue break, and you still need the power and ground for the light.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks funny to see one of my posts reproduced, LOL

Hey, you will have to buy a brass 3/8 - 1/8 NPT adapter locally to install in your oil pan. It screws right into the casting plug hole next to your oil drain plug, then the oil temp sensor probe screws into this adapter. Don't try to use a 3/8 - 1/4 and a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter screwed together - won't work well, the probe tip won't protrude enough to contact the bulk oil in your pan.

this adapter might not be in every hardware store - I finally found one in a furnace repair place. Cost me 78 cents.

Cold Rider

1 - 12 of 12 Posts