V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there is any truth to some posts I have read online regarding piggy back tuners like the power commander V 15-011 causing failure of the ECU?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,750 Posts
I am wondering if there is any truth to some posts I have read online regarding piggy back tuners like the power commander V 15-011 causing failure of the ECU?

I can't imagine why that would happen, but anything is possible. I've never read or heard of such a thing, other than "technicians" at the local Harley dealership telling BS to people who asked, trying to sell them a Harley tuner.

But, with that said, how the hell would we know if the stories you've read are true or not? We don't know what you've read.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine why that would happen, but anything is possible. I've never read or heard of such a thing, other than "technicians" at the local Harley dealership telling BS to people who asked, trying to sell them a Harley tuner.

But, with that said, how the hell would we know if the stories you've read are true or not? We don't know what you've read.
Lol, true.. I will post some links to some threads when I can

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any tuner can scramble an ECU, if you loose power in the middle of a program, disconnect accidentally, etc. but on its own is really rare. I have been tuning with various tuners for many years on cars and bikes and have never seen one personally when used correctly.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,750 Posts
Any tuner can scramble an ECU, if you loose power in the middle of a program, disconnect accidentally, etc. but on its own is really rare. I have been tuning with various tuners for many years on cars and bikes and have never seen one personally when used correctly.
You're talking about flash tuners, which the PCV is not. Piggyback tuners don't write anything to the ECM, in fact, they are "downstream" of the ECM in terms of data flow so they don't even change the info that the ECM reads from the sensors.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I would dare to say IF this ever happened, it was from not handling sh!t correctly.

meaning there is more to the story than just a evil tuner.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
PC is a piggyback system. It doesn’t flow anything to the ECM. It takes the stock signal in the ECM and makes the necessary adjustments to match the output from the tune you select to all the parts downstream like injectors ignition sensors etc.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,750 Posts
PC is a piggyback system. It doesn’t flow anything to the ECM. It takes the stock signal in the ECM and makes the necessary adjustments to match the output from the tune you select to all the parts downstream like injectors ignition sensors etc.
I can't say how all Power Commanders work, but I know that is not exactly how mine works. The tables I load into my PCIII for fuel and timing ARE the adjustments, they are not a target. This is why it's important to know whether your ECM has been flashed with a "stage 1" or "stage 2" calibration. This is why when you look through the list of canned maps for the PCIII, you will see that they specify whether they are meant for a stock ECM or one that has been flashed.

For example, if you look at a fuel map and a particular cell contains the number 10, that means when the conditions of the cell are met (rpm and throttle position) whatever the duty cycle is that is transmitted from the ECM to the injector will be increased by 10% (% referring to fuel flow), meaning that if the ECM says to spray fuel at 20% the PC changes that to 30%. Likewise with timing, a number 4 in a cell will advance the timing by 4 degrees from whatever the ECM says.

This is also why a map that works well on my bike may not work well on yours even if we have identical builds. If our ECM are flashed differently then the same maps will produce different results.

Of course, if you are tuning on a dyno then the calibration of the ECM doesn't matter because you are tuning to external sensors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your responses

1 - 12 of 12 Posts