V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 FLSTC carb'd, 95", 203s, flattops, D&D Fatcats. Runs good, only getting 30mpg but I ride kind of hard. Pulled the plugs and they were clean. Just wondering if it is worth putting on dyno to see if I can get a little more out of it. Just was not sure most of the posts that I've seen on people getting more out of their build with tuning is for EFI bikes with more aggressive builds. Is it worth it for my build? Thanks in advance.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I would. It is important to go to the right place too. Some little thing could be off and make a big difference in your performance and mpg. I think it is a cheep investment. Plus it's a cool experience. Anytime I make a change now I do another dyno run.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Yes its worth it. Don't give the bike to some tuner to abuse on the dyno. From your post you pretty well know the bike so a base line run is all your looking for. There were three runs with my Sportster {after I had done all I could} and I was rewarded with a 5% increase {bumping the timing a bit more} that I would never have found. To see the curves printed out is neat, "braggin' rites"
Be sure to have a fresh oil change, new plugs and "high test" gas.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If you are only getting 30mpg you are probably running rich. If you are too rich you are not doing your motor any favors. Your plugs can look good and you can still be rich if you are not reading the plugs correctly. I run a cv 40 carb with a stage 1 95 inch kit and I when I did the dyno thing I found out I was running rich even with a 190 main. I ended up dropping down to a 180 main to get a perfect air fuel ratio. I posted my dyno in the dyno section so you can see that it is possible to get a good air fuel with a carb.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Will take to tuner. I also though 30 mpg was pretty bad based on a lot of post I've seen on what others were getting.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wasn't worth it to me, half the "techs" around here don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. The other thing is if you've done most of the work on your bike you'll be walking in to those who don't anything about a carbed bike. If you have more than 4 dyno tuners around, take the bike to all four. Guess what each one will come up with something different that needs to be done.
Can't tell you much about your particular build. I can tell you my 04 egc milage was in the toilet, 30~32mpg, (all the dyno tuners I mentioned said that was normal). My build is 95", 030 comitec, wiseco flat cyl's, ported heads, 37g cam, stock pushrods and I've run both the CV40 and HSR42 carbs. When I tossed the stock AF (KN insert) and replaced it with the SE I went from the toilet to 41~46mpg.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I think it is important to go to the dyno with some knowledge of what you are doing. I usually have a little of things I may want to try and a few goodies with me too, like jets, ignition settings. There is some truth that not all Dyno shops have all of the answers but with a little prep you should make out fine. Put up a post here and ask "what should I try when I am on the dyno"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts