V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does 300 bucks sound right for tuning a HD FLHX wth a PC3 USB, Bassini true Duals, Megaphone muffs, and Doherty Machine PowerPacc Air Cleaner? The guy said it would take about a half day, and he has to go into advanced tuning for my setup. Sounds like he may trying to feed me something, but I don't know, never had a bike dynoed before.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you hook up with one of the rigs that attends all the rally's you will save a lot of money. Check out the schedules for these guys and see if you can have them do your bike.

http://www.speedsperformanceplus.com/index.php
http://www.rollingthunderdyno.com/

I had Speeds do mine and it's about $80 plus another $60 for adjustments and took about 45 minutes.
These guys do nothing but this all day so they know there stuff.

Later,
Ray

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
a problem might be that your collections of bolt-ons is non-standand, and he can't find a PC3 map to download to fit your setup, so he may be talking about starting from scratch.

i'd do some GOOGLE for a PC3 map to fit your pipes & air cleaner,
at least save some time.

hth?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The shops in my area that will dyno all charge a flat fee of $250. Most have told me it takes about 3 hours to do a custom map for a PC III.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Harley shop in my area - two hour minimum, 75/hour. I think it ended up being just over two hours.... so, less than $200 total

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are probably right on them not having a map for my setup. i just got an email from dynojet suggesting a map to use that they say is close to my setup. I have tried a couple of different maps so far. I will try the one suggested and see how it does. So it sounds like 300 bucks is about right if they are starting from scratch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wildrat said:
You are probably right on them not having a map for my setup. i just got an email from dynojet suggesting a map to use that they say is close to my setup. I have tried a couple of different maps so far. I will try the one suggested and see how it does. So it sounds like 300 bucks is about right if they are starting from scratch.

be careful about using maps that are "close". I did that, per Dynojets suggestion, and I blued my pipes all the way to the muffler... you can't see the pipes, but the muffler is scared for life. I compared the map they suggested to the map after a dyno, and they were way off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure don't want the mufflers turning Blue. When I took the Harley pipes off after just 120 miles they were blue, ugly blue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello....I'm a registered Power Commander Tuning Tech/Center and these are my thoughts on this question...

Most of the maps on the Power Commander site were written in North Las Vegas which is 2000 feet above sea level and has a low average humidity...the maps work real well for someone who lives in a similar condition.

I've found that here in the Atlanta area that most of the maps run rich in the WFO throttle range and lean at Idle..the cruise range can go either way.

On most common setups, a good tech should be able to load a map that is close to your bike and have you a custom map within 1 - 1.5 hours. If the airtemp is extremely high and he is having a hard time keeping the head temp below 350 it will take extra time to map due to "cooling" time...if he maps with too high head temps it will cause erroneous readings and the map won't be any good.

I have spent as much as 3 hours on a radically built bike but this is not the norm.

My average charge for custom mapping is $225 - $300 I don't see his pricing being out of line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Considering what we've already spent on our bikes, $250-$300 to get a good custom map that makes your bike run well seems very reasonable! :yes:

·
Fashion Conscious
1,916 Posts
Raywood said:
If you hook up with one of the rigs that attends all the rally's you will save a lot of money. Check out the schedules for these guys and see if you can have them do your bike.

http://www.speedsperformanceplus.com/index.php
http://www.rollingthunderdyno.com/

I had Speeds do mine and it's about $80 plus another $60 for adjustments and took about 45 minutes.
These guys do nothing but this all day so they know there stuff.

Later,
Ray
FWIW RollingThunderDyno did mine for $140, but it's carbed.
Spent an hour there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I will be getting one of the glides dynoed, and I'll use the map from it for the other. The question is which one. The one with the 25 degree injectors or the one with 8 degree injectors. I suppose it will be the one with 25 degree injectors since the ones on the other glide will be changed as soon as they come off of backorder.

Thanks for the help.

Wildrat

·
Registered
293 Posts
Baseline here in Frederick, MD is only half hour, bout $35.00

I have been told by Dealer the SERT tunning is 2 - 6 hours
and priced at $350.00.

I think screw it. I'D rathr buy a custom map.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I guess it's the same here, fork over the bucks and get it done and then pass the map around and let everyone catch it for a nominal fee of course.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts