V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Quick question: I took my '10 bagger to an Indy for an oil/filter change.

While performing the service, the Indy noticed my manual compression releases, and he asked what engine work I had done to my bike.

I told him about my SE BB II kit w/255 cams, and that the dealer tweaked my bike w/the SE Race Tuner Kit, that was purchased as part of the BB kit upgrade...

After the service, the tech took my bike out for a spin. Upon his return, the tech told me he could tune my bike for $149 (fair price?), and that the bike needed a tune.

I thought the Race Tuner kit is a map/tune for my bike???

Not intended to question the tech, but what do you think? Snake oil? Profit? Is a dyno tune a better alternative to a Race Tuner Kit? Is the Dyno worth it. Won't a poorly performed dyno tune cause the bike to run too lean or rich, thereby causing reliability issues?

To me, a Race Tuner Kit should tune a bike properly. Why the need for a dyno? Confused...

Tks in advance for your responses.

B

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
A race tuner is nothing more than an interface to be able to tune your bike in ways other than the canned maps available to the dealer. With the race tuner a person can tune your computer to changes you have made. Your bike probably had a canned Stage II map loaded by the dealer that installed the kit and you didn't "need" the HD SERT to have that map loaded by the dealer. But I don't know that for sure as HD started making a street tuner so they could charge owners for an interface to download canned maps and your dealer may have charged you for a race tuner(459) rather than a street tuner(329). In the long run he actually saved you money if this was the case. You would need the race tuner(over the street tuner) to truly tune your bike properly using a dyno or the smart tune feature.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Hello,

Quick question: I took my '10 bagger to an Indy for an oil/filter change.

While performing the service, the Indy noticed my manual compression releases, and he asked what engine work I had done to my bike.

I told him about my SE BB II kit w/255 cams, and that the dealer tweaked my bike w/the SE Race Tuner Kit, that was purchased as part of the BB kit upgrade...

After the service, the tech took my bike out for a spin. Upon his return, the tech told me he could tune my bike for $149 (fair price?), and that the bike needed a tune.

I thought the Race Tuner kit is a map/tune for my bike???

Not intended to question the tech, but what do you think? Snake oil? Profit? Is a dyno tune a better alternative to a Race Tuner Kit? Is the Dyno worth it. Won't a poorly performed dyno tune cause the bike to run too lean or rich, thereby causing reliability issues?

To me, a Race Tuner Kit should tune a bike properly. Why the need for a dyno? Confused...

Tks in advance for your responses.

B
Probably the most important question here is how do you feel the bike runs? My 2010 Street Glide with a build similar to yours makes 92 hp and 106 tq after the dyno tune?

I would ask the tech that says it needs tuning why he thinks so? $149 is pretty cheap for a dyno tune if the tuner spends anytime building correct maps for the application.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A dyno tune is much better than a canned map providing the tuner knows what he is doing. A poor tune can cause serious engine damage. The canned maps aren't perfect because no bike is the same. A custom tune gets the most out of your bike.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
I tend to doubt that for $149 you will get a complete tune. The SERT has MANY features and I would guess for $149 all that will get "tuned" is wide open throttle in order to show you the increases made. A full dyno tune will tune every area the engine is capable of running in and not just wide open throttle.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I tend to doubt that for $149 you will get a complete tune. The SERT has MANY features and I would guess for $149 all that will get "tuned" is wide open throttle in order to show you the increases made. A full dyno tune will tune every area the engine is capable of running in and not just wide open throttle.
A full tune would be more in the 500.00 neighborhood...It's like the old saying.." you get what you pay for"

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
For 149$$ your not going to get much. probably just another caned map and a WOT run to show more HP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ Good points Gents...

Not yet convinced, but your posts have me thinking. I'll chat with the tech to get a better view of things...

Tks all!

B

·
Registered
216 Posts
As was mentioned.. that tune will probably be a couple of runs at wide open throttle, nothing wrong with that... may be worth it. I would ask, --how much time is going to be spent tuning the lower throttle positions? 15, 35, 55, 75% of the throttle is where most riding occurs, @ least for me. If the $149 is a WOT tune, ask the tech, how much for a more complete tune? The SERT gets you close, but the tuner dials it in. You can't get around that. Can you ride without the dyno...yes (especially, with just pipes, air kit, and a tuner). But once you add cams and/or beyond, a professional dyno tune is the only way to maximize efficiency and performance. And it may even prevent future damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts