V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inquiring at one of the local dealers about Stage I dyno tune costs. I was told they charge $430 which they tell me is for 3.5 hours. Their menu board listed the per hour time at $130. The last time I had one done there was for a 98" GMR build. The cost was $360 for the senior tuners expertise which has since gone to $460 (this was in March of this year). The elapsed time from base line to finish on the dyno sheet was 2 hours.

I understand minimum charges for time, but I feel charging for unused time is highly unethical by the shops. I know darn well it will not take 3.5 hours to do a stage I tune, I guess I can go else where and get a lesser job. But that still does not change the fact they are charging time for something they are not giving.

I guess I'm venting more than anything but I'd appreciate any thoughts.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
A Stage I tune is NOTHING. If you can download a file off the internet, you can Stage I "tune". Not saying that's how it's done, but it IS that simple. A REAL, AUTHENTIC tune from a PRO will cost you that much. Stage I is simply a file upload to your ECM. The only real tuning type decision that could possibly be stretched in definition as a tune would be selecting the file that best matches the bike's bolt-ons. Run the dyno before, go work on another bike for 1 hour 55 mins, spend 5 minutes selecting and uploading Stage I, run the dyno again.

Pay $460 for the senior tuner if he's really good. That's top rate, but WORTH IT if you found a crackerjack. SERT right?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Wow an office depot add. I was going to talk about bikes, abut forgot.

If we are going to sell out soul, can we not atleast have it be motorcyle related.

Good Day.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PR3VS56 said:
A Stage I tune is NOTHING. If you can download a file off the internet, you can Stage I "tune". Not saying that's how it's done, but it IS that simple. A REAL, AUTHENTIC tune from a PRO will cost you that much. Stage I is simply a file upload to your ECM. The only real tuning type decision that could possibly be stretched in definition as a tune would be selecting the file that best matches the bike's bolt-ons. Run the dyno before, go work on another bike for 1 hour 55 mins, spend 5 minutes selecting and uploading Stage I, run the dyno again.

Pay $460 for the senior tuner if he's really good. That's top rate, but WORTH IT if you found a crackerjack. SERT right?
Correct on the SERT. My issue is advertising $130 per hour, charging you $460 and taking 2 hours. My last experience was 2 hours at the previous rate of $360, which is still $180 per hour.

I guess I'm touchy about time. If you're going to charge $180 or $230 per hour fine, just say so, don't charge me $130, take two and charge me $460.

This happened when I had cams installed in another dealership. They quoted $85 per hour, tried to charge me 2.3, I asked to see the time sheet knowing the clock in and out. They admited making a mistake and charged me 2. I had the engine stripped down to cylinders off, cam cover off, the just had to install the cams in the case. This was before I knew how easy it was. I sure they took about an hour. Another case of working one hour and charging for two. I didn't hold their feet to the fire on the time sheet.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
For a SERT tune? does he check every field? A SERT dyno on a mild twin cam build should take more than 4 hrs. You have to run the map, tweak the settings and then upload the new map. You go from one field to the next then start all over again, because when you tweak one, it cahnges the other/

A PCIII, on the other hand, tunes on the fly. It is much faster. I would think that a $135 dyno would be worth about what you paid for it. That hardly covers the depreciatation on the machine, much less the owner/tuner's time. You could get a deal like that from a friend, but if he is in business at those prices, he'll soon go bankrupt.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hey ceraaa42, didn't you confront them about the discrepency? I wonder if you downloaded the stage 1 sownload yourself and then took it in to have it fine tuned at the "hourly rate" if you would get what you pay for? Or, would they just say it's it's a SERT tune and it's $450?

·
<><
3,971 Posts
ceraaa42 said:
Correct on the SERT. My issue is advertising $130 per hour, charging you $460 and taking 2 hours. My last experience was 2 hours at the previous rate of $360, which is still $180 per hour.

I guess I'm touchy about time. If you're going to charge $180 or $230 per hour fine, just say so, don't charge me $130, take two and charge me $460.

This happened when I had cams installed in another dealership. They quoted $85 per hour, tried to charge me 2.3, I asked to see the time sheet knowing the clock in and out. They admited making a mistake and charged me 2. I had the engine stripped down to cylinders off, cam cover off, the just had to install the cams in the case. This was before I knew how easy it was. I sure they took about an hour. Another case of working one hour and charging for two. I didn't hold their feet to the fire on the time sheet.
I can't imagine a shop manual giving a tech 3.5 hrs for a Stage I upload. There's probably something else included in that procedure. Regardless, there's incentive for a tech to work fast and complete a task in less time. Otherwise, if it were truly hourly, they'd take all day on your bike. They never charge "hours" based on a time clock.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The dealer by me starts off by charging $400 and works backwards. Their hourly rate is $66. So, if it takes them only four hours you should only pay $264 ideally. I have heard though that most people pay closer to the $400 but I'm not sure if they are using the PC or SERT.

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
The price should reflect.....

Who is doing the tuning.
IMHO, a shop that has say 4 tuners, one a top tech (Like Mike Stegman) should price there tunes by the tuner, and not based on time spent, unless it is a custom build.

The problem I see is that when you agree to whatever the price is, at a dealer, many times you get pot luck, even if you ask for a tech to do the the work, there is not guarantee he she or it will be the one that gets that ticket.
You may get a kid strait out of Harley training still wet behind the ears, or the old grumpy tech that still think all that there new junk should be thrown away and a good old S&S carb be used to get it to run right.

Should they charge X-amount then show a pre- hour? No, this is wrong, Having an either or, ok, a shop Minimum, ok, but If I bring my bike in for a basic stage one with a SERT, I can not see it taking longer then 1.5 hours with test rides.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
The best place around here , Redhill motorcycle werx, advertises a flat rate, 250 for a carb, 300 for EFI. Carb tune includes jets, needles, I know for a fact if you dont need much they will charge less, did my tune for 180 incuding a needle change. They also will stand behind it, and not charge more if it takes a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts