·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably only interest a small group of readers, but here's the data:

Bike: '06 Heritage Softail Classic
Stock engine; Stage 1; K&N air filter; Power Commander
Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles

Then changed to V&H Big Shot Longs with quiet baffles.

The dyno tune with the Rush pipes was done last March; the tune with the V&H was done last Saturday. Same tuner, same dyno.

The results were interesting. The first run showed that I had lost a fairly significant amount of horsepower with the V&H pipes compared to the Rush slip-ons with stock headers. Even the tuner was a little surprised. After a number of runs, he finally got it up to almost the Rush numbers. Here's how it came out:

HP: Rush 71.5 V&H 71.1
TQ: Rush 75.5 V&H 74.3

Pretty close. However, what's significant is that at 2600 rpm, the V&H pipes produced 66 ft-lbs of torque while the Rush produced 71 ft-lbs. So the Rush pipes felt better in the low and mid-range, which I could have told you.

The back of the V&H quiet baffles is closed, so the tuner had to drill a 5/16" hole for the probe. Made no difference in tone or volume.

I bought the BSLs for looks, and still thenk they are the best looking pipe for a Heritage Classic. But I'm thinking my next move will be to a 2:1 setup, most likely the Fat Cat with quiet baffles.

Can anyone say what a realistic expectation for a power boost would be with the D&D without any other changes? My goal is to achieve max power out of a stock engine.

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordered the Fat Cat

Thanks for the reply. I finally ordered a Fat Cat with quiet baffle yesterday, but because the one made specifically for the Heritage is a special order (it's a little longer than the others to clear the bags) I was told it could take up to 2 weeks to get. After all the positive comments on this board, I'm really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sounds like you're going to spend more money in pipes than upgrading the engine. The D&D should serve you well though.

·
Twist it, pop it, burn it
161 Posts
If your looking to make more power perhaps you should invest in a Stage 2. It may be more beneficial in the long run, unless of course its the look you are after as well.

keep us posted

·
OldBoldPilot
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thatoldbike said:
Sounds like you're going to spend more money in pipes than upgrading the engine. The D&D should serve you well though.
Well, since I have a buyer for the Big Shots, and plan to sell the Rush pipes as well, the net cost shouldn't be too bad.

I know you didn't mean your comment as a criticism, but here's how I see it. I'm a pretty conservative rider, and while I know I could appreciably up the performance with even small upgrades, like cams, for me the stock engine is just fine for the type of riding I do (long-distance touring--almost 17,000 miles on my '06). The engine as it is is pretty much bulletproof, and I want to keep it that way. That said, I do like to get the maximum I can out of the stock engine, and I believe the D&Ds will go a long way to helping me do that.

Others like to really boost their engine's output with some serious mods, and that's fine. I did that, too, when I was younger. Different strokes for different folks, I guess :brows:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts