V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 95" Stage II done last season. Had some issues with the build. Dont think I am getting the power I expected. Bike is 2000 FXST, 95", 37B cams, Scottsman heads, Flat Top Pistons, SE Adj Pushrods, Cycle shack slip ons. So in order to figure out my next step I am going to have the bike Dynoed. My question is, does it matter where I bring my bike to have it Dynoed? There is a chopper shop that the local dealer says is really good that just purchased a new Dyno. Dont know much about them but in talking with them they sound knowledgable. He said 2 or 3 runs in 30 minutes should be enough to get a good reading of where I am at now. Does that sound right?

My plan is to get the results which I think are probably 75-80 HP and 80-85 TQ. IF this proves to be true I am going to get Big Boyz heads, & Ignition Module put em in and see if this feels like more. Then add Mikuni 42, and possible pipe change to 2 into 1 pipe. Then get it dyno tuned to get the most out of it. My hope is to get around 100TQ. Not that concerned with HP as long as its around 90HP. Any suggestions or comments on the plan or the components to get to these #'s? Seems possible from the dynos I have seen.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
What you need is dyno-tune! If the bike has never been properly tuned to rum with the modifications, there is probably a ton left in there. What carburation and ignition changes have you made so far? Those are the things I would do first? I suspect the power you seek is already there, you just haven't unleashed it yet...
Just my two cents...

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
adlerx said:
What you need is dyno-tune! If the bike has never been properly tuned to rum with the modifications, there is probably a ton left in there. What carburation and ignition changes have you made so far? Those are the things I would do first? I suspect the power you seek is already there, you just haven't unleashed it yet...
Just my two cents...
I agree !

I have read many of the posts and followed the build. I would change the ignition module first. Consider a HSR42 and then Dyno tune it.

The stock carb and ignition need to go. The carb can be reworked and it will perform but in this case I would just buy one that works out of the box. An adjustable MAP ignition would be the best choice, IMO.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
BULLET, unfortunately, doc's posts are all gone.
There have been others here though taht have gotten similar #'s with that combo with carb and ignitoin work....

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I've got a similiar build as you with SBC Scottsman heads. Doc tuned my bike to 99.7 HP and 102.6 torque SAE 5th gear run. The dyno is posted in the dyno section.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got 97 hp 99 torque with the same build with D&D Fatcat 2-1 exhaust. Get it dyno tuned the power you seek is in there!:yes:

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the same thing. One issue though. Loud Ticking noise in front head. Original build detonated piston on valve of Front head. Charlies took the head back and fixed it by welding and cleaning it up. Seems like a defective head causing ticking but not sure. Was thinking of replacing the heads with new ones. Any clue what the ticking may be? Theres no ryhm or reason to it. Ticks at idle, ticks on acceleration, deceleration, then at some points doesnt tick much at all. But it definitely seems to be at the top of the engine. Head? rocker?

Also, stock gaskets were used (I had cometic gaskets ready to go but didnt work) due to clearance issues. So compression is probably not what it should be. I guess I could have the heads done to increase compression, Have someone fix ticking noise if possible, put in ignition, and Mikuni 42, then have it tuned. Maybe that would make a difference.

Is it possible to get an accurate dyno by doing 2 or 3 runs in say 30 minutes? Never had any experience with a dyno just wanted to see if what this guy was saying made sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts