V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about two different dynos one 0 smoothing the other a 5 smoothing both SAE. Why is the one so extremely jagged and the other is relatively straight? No reason except curious.

Cool thing about having the run files is being able to compare one to another then I started messing with the smoothing and noticed a big difference. Bad machine, slipping or what or nothing at all.

Zero smoothing

Five smoothing

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,864 Posts
My understanding is that the smoothing process is an algorithm that makes the graph easier to read because the curve is "smooth".

In real time, the jagged graph is the accurate measurement of power because it is a "pulsing" process instead of smooth. Picture what happens inside the cylinder. Explosion forces piston down, piston moves fastest at beginning of down stroke and slows as it moves. This is what you are seeing in the jagged graph.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that the smoothing process is an algorithm that makes the graph easier to read because the curve is "smooth".

In real time, the jagged graph is the accurate measurement of power because it is a "pulsing" process instead of smooth. Picture what happens inside the cylinder. Explosion forces piston down, piston moves fastest at beginning of down stroke and slows as it moves. This is what you are seeing in the jagged graph.
That makes scene thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts