V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having Doc's Harley do my engine build soon and they offer a program to do the initial break-in on the dyno. Sounds like a good deal to me. Any of you experts know of any cons to doing this?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If they do an initial tune on the fresh engine, see if they also recommend coming back after some more miles. Say after 500 or so miles the engine would be broken in, and some more perfecting of the map could be done to fine tune it in even more.

The engine will change a hair after being fully broken in, that would be a good time to go back for a map touch up.

All depends on the cylinder honing as to how much break in it needs before pouring the coal to it. Some honing methods result in a finish ready to run, put a couple heat cycles on it and let it rip. If they've done a ton of builds and tunes, they know what they are doing.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michrider said:
If they do an initial tune on the fresh engine, see if they also recommend coming back after some more miles. Say after 500 or so miles the engine would be broken in, and some more perfecting of the map could be done to fine tune it in even more.

The engine will change a hair after being fully broken in, that would be a good time to go back for a map touch up.

All depends on the cylinder honing as to how much break in it needs before pouring the coal to it. Some honing methods result in a finish ready to run, put a couple heat cycles on it and let it rip. If they've done a ton of builds and tunes, they know what they are doing.
The bike is carb so not as much fine tuning to be done.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GrayRider said:
That's the way it was done on my RK. Seated the rings on the dyno, tuned it then ride it like I stole it.
That's what i'm talking about. ~!Awesome!

·
Registered
751 Posts
What if any difference is there between breaking in a motor with HD cylinders as opposed to the aluminum Nikasil cylinders?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Wow,

Haven't heard from about Doc in a while. I e-mail him now and again. I miss his input into the forum. I can just say, if Doc said it, I would go for it. There are still some great people here, but I think we all miss Doc.

Stan

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Stashu11 said:
Wow,

Haven't heard from about Doc in a while. I e-mail him now and again. I miss his input into the forum. I can just say, if Doc said it, I would go for it. There are still some great people here, but I think we all miss Doc.

Stan
Pretty sure it's a different Doc. You are right, many here miss his input imensely!

Mine was done on the dyno, guess it's fine, got over 2k on new build so far and runs great!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adlerx said:
Pretty sure it's a different Doc. You are right, many here miss his input imensely!

Mine was done on the dyno, guess it's fine, got over 2k on new build so far and runs great!
Yes, i was refering to Doc's Harley Davidson in St. Louis.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
eglider05 said:
What if any difference is there between breaking in a motor with HD cylinders as opposed to the aluminum Nikasil cylinders?

Thanks,
Rick
If you have the Nikasil cylinders, put three heat cycles on it. Start it, idle it to operating temp, shut down, cool down completely, repeat. Do this three times. Now go put about 25 to 50 easy miles on it. Now go rip the pig!!!!

·
Doofaluumpa
188 Posts
Mine was broken in on the Dyno and tuned right after the build as well, I've gotten to put about 200 miles on it since and it runs like a champ.:banana:

·
Living for the ride
1,351 Posts
GreyRider, I guess this is why back in the day we said "break it in like you are going to ride it". Very interesting web page. At this time my scoot is getting a 95" upgrade....not MOCO....I may talk to my mechanic about this.
Be Safe!

·
Banned
871 Posts
miles to go said:
I'm having Doc's Harley do my engine build soon and they offer a program to do the initial break-in on the dyno. Sounds like a good deal to me. Any of you experts know of any cons to doing this?
Sounds like an ok deal. I would still bring it back after about 1500 miles to get it checked again, but only if you are concerned about how much power/torque it's making. Any engine isn't fully broken in until at least 1500 miles. Parts wear as a specific rate, no matter how the engine is run.

In other words, it won't be making the maximum amount of power until that time, since the rings and other parts are still seating themselves. Personally, I wouldn't run it above 4000 rpm until over 1000 miles, but that just what I'm used to doing after building hundred or so engines, so I stick with what I know works for me.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
@gree:
Absolutely right. If you have an EFI and you wan't every drop of your performance dollar, wait for 1,000 - 1,500 before doing the final tune. Then figure at least 2-3 hours on the Dyno.

Stage 1, never mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts