V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dyno'd a 2006 dyna with 600 miles on her. Slip-on cycle shack pipes and air cleaner. Was running a little lean 14.5 - 1 AF . 60 hp. 61 TQ. 5th gear run ,SAE { 6 SPEED }

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
Those numbers, particularly the torque, seems too low. A stock twin cam should have approximately 65-68 horses & 74 plus on the torque.

Any adjustments such as a big sucker or SE (K&N) air cleaner would reap another 3 hp. Get the American Iron Sep 2005 issue and you'll see where they got gains of 17 hp with a Power Commander, pipes, and air cleaner.

Get a good dyno guy, too!:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I think Silver Bullet has a good dyno guy.......:hystria: :hystria:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you read,it says ,air cleaner {S.E.} Did not tune because it is going down ! Yes ,I agree that that older bikes make more hp. tq. but this is a 2006. I am sure that I could have picked up 3-4 more hp. but the #s were still low. The tq. line was the flattest that I had ever seen !

·
Registered
755 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
dyno'd a 2006 dyna with 600 miles on her. Slip-on cycle shack pipes and air cleaner. Was running a little lean 14.5 - 1 AF . 60 hp. 61 TQ. 5th gear run ,SAE { 6 SPEED }
Thanks for posting the numbers bro. Pretty mild on the 06 huh?

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
fastappy said:
Those numbers, particularly the torque, seems too low. A stock twin cam should have approximately 65-68 horses & 74 plus on the torque.

Any adjustments such as a big sucker or SE (K&N) air cleaner would reap another 3 hp. Get the American Iron Sep 2005 issue and you'll see where they got gains of 17 hp with a Power Commander, pipes, and air cleaner.

Get a good dyno guy, too!:hmmm:
No offense fastappy, but you obviously were not aware of the identity of the guy starting this thread.:yes:

Bullet has been working motors longer than I've been alive...and shares more knowledge here than he will ever learn.:clap:

Doesn't make anything you said wrong....it was just funny who you were trying to educate is all.

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
If you read,it says ,air cleaner {S.E.} Did not tune because it is going down ! Yes ,I agree that that older bikes make more hp. tq. but this is a 2006. I am sure that I could have picked up 3-4 more hp. but the #s were still low. The tq. line was the flattest that I had ever seen !
Thanks for the info.
It's be great if Andrews would finally get their cams done for the 06 Dyna's.
That way I could put a nice gear driven cam and make that FLAT TQ line that the 06 Dyna's have DISAPPEAR.
They keep saying 3 weeks, 3 weeks......

·
04 Super Glide Sport
290 Posts
My Bad!!!

:banmep:
SILVER BULLET said:

Sorry, I :coffee: misread the thread, my apology.:bowdwn: However those numbers are low and I'm positive, from all the comments, you'll bring them up!:banmep: Now if you'll excuse me, I'll need to extricate my foot from my mouth.:roflback:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrews have the cams done, there doing testing now. They are a great company and won't ship anything till its right.

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Andrews have the cams done, there doing testing now. They are a great company and won't ship anything till its right.
SILVER BULLET,
I know you have more insight than I dream of, I would definetly agree with the above statement. I have always used their product in my bikes with great results.
It just stinks cause in this case I am anxiously waiting. But like the old adage says god things come to those who wait, so wait I will and when their done and tested and ready to go, I'll get the cam in there and ride the hell out of it!
Thanks again for the updates.
bry

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
my 03 Carburated Dyna FXDX ran:
59.3 HP and 69.9 TQ stock @ 500 miles.
66.4 HP and 75.6 TQ Big Sucker Stage 1 and Khrome Werks mufflers @ 2500 miles.

Both dyno runs were SAE 4th Gear. No idea of the A/F ratio but the carb was rejetted after the aircleaner and slip-ons.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my 04 Injected Dyna FXDX ran:
59.1 HP and 69.2 TQ stock @ 3000 miles.
71.7 HP and 81.5 TQ SEAC, Stage 1 flash and Hooker 2:1 (Torque setting) later the same day.

Both dyno runs were SAE 4th Gear. The A/F ratio was as high as 16:1 at 2800 and below, 14:1 from 3000 to 4700, and dropped gradually to 12.5:1 at 6000.

XLCH74 / FXDX04

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Hi Silver Bullet!

On the bike you dyno´d, was the ECM in stock condition or did you do anything to the mixture? Was the bike running well enough or did you have to adjust the mixture?

I currently have a S.E. aircleaner and S.E. Torque Slip Fit Mufflers and a stage 1 burn on my 2006 Street Bob but I´m looking at Cycle Shack Slip-on mufflers for better sound. Do you think my mixture would be ok with the stage 1 burn or will I need an adjustment? (The bike is running ok for now, haven´t run it in high temps yet)

I know it´s a little hard to diagnose these things at a keyboard, but with my current and proposed setup being pretty common I´m hoping you will have seen something like it before.

Thanks!
Sponk

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Are the 2006 cams in the Dyna's different ? Lift,duration,etc.

Intake open; 4 deg. ATDC
Intake close; 43 deg. ABDC
Exhaust open; 40 deg. BBDC
Exhust close; 2 deg. ATDC
Int. duration; 219
Exh. duration; 222

Didn't get the lift, and with numbers like that it should be good for a blower, LOL

·
Registered
527 Posts
Silver Bullet, would you happen to have the before numbers for a that stock 2006 Dyna?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
2006 Dyna cams are a little different

SILVER BULLET said:
Are the 2006 cams in the Dyna's different ? Lift,duration,etc.
Many of you might be aware of this by now, but I will tell you anyway. The 2006 Dynas have hydraulic tensioners instead of spring tensioners. This is a fantastic upgrade for durability (hydraulic control vs. 30lbs constant tension from spring). The new tensioner technology requires a slightly different grind for clearance. The durations/lift/etc. will be identical however.

I spoke to Ralph (technical Guru at Andrews Products) yesterday, and he said that with hydraulic tensioners, the 2006 Dyna chain-driven cams will perform as well if not better than gear-driven cams.

Andrews will be shipping cams sometime next week. FYI - he also placed a TW37 set into a 2006 FXD (with absolutely no intake/exhaust/ECU modification) and he got 71hp. Apparently, the new closed-loop EFI ran like crap for just a minute, but it corrected itself (just like a closed-loop system should).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts